For the Love of Wood

No wood since Monday ... gotta do something about that! Here's some dyed fiddleback maple.

34b7wFB.jpg

So a few weekends ago we set our booth up and did a show.

nNhYomi.jpg

It was a ranch roping competition and the wife was competing as well. As far as a show goes it was very slow. Just nobody there but competitors seemed like. Mostly there were a lot of fires going on nearby and that kept folks away I guess:

vxk6Yeh.jpg

It was snowing ashes and the light was weird. Look how smoky and weird the light is at mid day when the wife and her partner went in:

D0pmq21.jpg

However and back to point of this thread, I did make a couple of good trades. I got this pair of blued steel silver inlaid spurs for a reata (a four strand braided rawhide rope) that i'd just traded for about 3 minutes earlier and a bocote handled filet knife:

CYLg7ZW.jpg

6VfvM5k.jpg

But the big trade was for this pelican and a dolphin with a lady that had used to live in Mexico 20 odd years ago and she brought these with her when she moved back up here. My step daughter thought I was "cuckoo for cocoa puffs" trading for these. She said what ya gonna do with em stick em on the bar in the cantina?

B4NrXfW.jpg

Heck no I'm gonna cut em up and make knife handles out of em. Some pretty nice ironwood in there. This is a few slices from the base of the pelican. Its only at 60 grit here, imagine when they are finished they will be at 4000 grit and buffed. Good trade?

oODBiFK.jpg

You're right either way!! Cocobolo is a rosewood! Not to worry I've made lots of knives with both as handles and I can't tell either.

Back