Forum Knife Updates and comments

It's easy to find on eBay in small quantities.
Yup, that's what I did. $3 for a tiny little tub (10g) which still had plenty in it to dye entire antlers. You really don't need a lot to do this kind of thing I've learnt. A tiny pinch in water.

Still waiting for mine to make its way back from Buck. Finally got an email last week that it was getting ready for repair... so maybe in the next week or two I'll find it waiting for me in the mailbox!

I found a pound or 2 of it at the local home center in the water treatment section -- apparently it's used in "green sand" filtration systems.
you can also mix it 50-50 with table sugar and use it as a fire starter -- pour a little out and use a stick to "strike it" like a match.

I found a pound or 2 of it at the local home center in the water treatment section -- apparently it's used in "green sand" filtration systems.
you can also mix it 50-50 with table sugar and use it as a fire starter -- pour a little out and use a stick to "strike it" like a match.
I have to try that!

So I gave the bolster with the action for the main blade a 12 hour oil bath through the night. There is now a bit of lazy snap when coming towards the close or open as opposed to practically none. I'm worried it will disappear the first time I wash up the knife with soap after using it for food. If anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears! :)

Just got the notification that my Buck is finally being shipped back. Woohoo!!!!
That's Great! :thumbsup: I hope it comes back a real gem!

It's been kind of hard to keep a civil keyboard on this issue. You, especially, have been far more patient that I would have been in your situation.

Suffice it to say, I will not be participating in any future forum knives made by Buck.

That's Great! :thumbsup: I hope it comes back a real gem!

It's been kind of hard to keep a civil keyboard on this issue. You, especially, have been far more patient that I would have been in your situation.

Suffice it to say, I will not be participating in any future forum knives made by Buck.

I hate to say "never" to an American traditional knife manufacturer, since there are so few left. I've had great dealings with Joe Houser from Buck in the past, although that was many years ago, before Buck moved. But all of the issues with the forum knife have definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, thus far. I think that Buck can redeem themselves in my eyes, if they can at least provide me with a far better knife than I initially received. We'll see later today. My knife is scheduled to arrive in my mailbox this afternoon. I'll report back tonight on the repair/replacement.

Looking forward to your report Buzz, as I am still waiting on my two knives. I, too, was very disappointed when they were received due to poor action and stag quality. Still waiting, although I did get an email from Buck stating they were in the works, so shouldn't be too much longer.

I still think we should've gone with the 500 series, instead of buying a slip joint from a company known for it's lock back and fixed blade knives. JMHDAO but what do I know?

i am also waiting and have not heard anything. i sent my forum knives back to Buck in early December.

i dont think its fair to criticize Buck when only 12 knives out of 450 special builds are in for rebuilds.

i am unhappy my knives were in this group of 12, but I would and have purchased additional Buck knives...... they have a great warranty and seem very customer oriented.

Okay. My forum knife is back from warranty work!!! Here’s the good and bad.

It looks like they sent me an entirely new knife, and the stag covers on this one are godlike. I mean absolutely mind blowing. The best looking elk stag I’ve ever seen. It’s a flat out gorgeous knife. I’m totally blown away by how good it looks. This knife has only very slight spring gapping. I can still see some daylight through the knife, but that’s not an issue to me. As long as there are no large gaps, I call it a win.

Both blades have a pull strength of about a 4. On arrival, the clip blade had great opening and closing snap. The sheepsfoot had great closing snap, but zero opening snap. A thorough cleaning, flushing and lubricating, and a half hour of cycling largely cured the sheepsfoot though, and now it works well. Any lateral play is almost imperceptible in the blades. The sheepsfoot sits a little low in the frame, as others have noted, but not to the point of being a problem. So the fit is another big win.

But one last issue. The main reason I sent the knife in for work was because the blades were ground absurdly thick. My old knife measured between .038” and .040” behind the edge. In comparison, the latest GEC Dixie Stockman measures at about .020” behind the edge, and my Case medium stockman averages even less than that. So the first Buck was almost twice as thick behind the edge as those comparable knives. How is my new Buck replacement? It’s better than my first knife. Both blades measure between .030” and .034” behind the edge. Better than the original, but nothing close to the .020” to .025” mentioned in this thread by Buck. The new knife is better than my first, but it’s still badly out of spec. I’m guessing that this is the best they had of their remaining inventory of blades.

So what’s the takeaway from all of this? I think that Buck customer service tried very hard to make things right. They sent me back a flat out gorgeous knife. This has to be one of the most beautiful examples of the 2018 forum knife. Unfortunately, this isn’t a knife that I’ll actually use, because it doesn’t cut nearly as efficiently as most any traditional pocket knife in my collection. But it is a great collection piece, and one entirely worthy of displaying. So let me say thank you very much to Buck customer service for doing as much as they possibly could to put a great example of the forum knife into my hands.

iJP0BcIh.jpg

tLaTQI7h.jpg

Last edited:

It looks like they sent me an entirely new knife, and the stag covers on this one are godlike. I mean absolutely mind blowing. The best looking elk stag I’ve ever seen. It’s a flat out gorgeous knife. I’m totally blown away by how good it looks. This knife has only very slight spring gapping. I can still see some daylight through the knife, but that’s not an issue to me. As long as there are no large gaps, I call it a win.

Both blades have a pull strength of about a 4. On arrival, the clip blade had great opening and closing snap. The sheepsfoot had great closing snap, but zero opening snap. A thorough cleaning, flushing and lubricating, and a half hour of cycling largely cured the sheepsfoot though, and now it works well. Any lateral play is almost imperceptible in the blades. The sheepsfoot sits a little low in the frame, as others have noted, but not to the point of being a problem. So the fit is another big win.

But one last issue. The main reason I sent the knife in for work was because the blades were ground absurdly thick. My old knife measured between .038” and .040” behind the edge. In comparison, the latest GEC Dixie Stockman measures at about .020” behind the edge, and my Case medium stockman averages even less than that. So the first Buck was almost twice as thick behind the edge as those comparable knives. How is my new Buck replacement? It’s better than my first knife. Both blades measure between .030” and .034” behind the edge. Better than the original, but nothing close to the .020” to .025” mentioned in this thread by Buck. The new knife is better than my first, but it’s still badly out of spec. I’m guessing that this is the best they had of their remaining inventory of blades.

So what’s the takeaway from all of this? I think that Buck customer service tried very hard to make things right. They sent me back a flat out gorgeous knife. This has to be one of the most beautiful examples of the 2018 forum knife. Unfortunately, this isn’t a knife that I’ll actually use, because it doesn’t cut nearly as efficiently as most any traditional pocket knife in my collection. But it is a great collection piece, and one entirely worthy of displaying. So let me say thank you very much to Buck customer service for doing as much as they possibly could to put a great example of the forum knife into my hands.

iJP0BcIh.jpg

tLaTQI7h.jpg
Great looking knife, Buzz. Thanks for the report. Guess I'll try to work a little more on my sheepsfoot to improve the action. I consider mine a good collection piece, too, but don't carry it much. My standard 301 cuts better and feels better in the hand. And is easier to sharpen! But I'm glad I bought one.

I'll just say this Buzz and maybe you'll think I'm nuts but the frame of the knife we picked for the 2017 BF Annual Knife is a large frame. You talk of what you think may be a thick blade behind the edge but if you look down at the knife into the well with the blades closed, a really thin blade would look like it's drowning in the well. The thicker blade fills up the well so to speak. Being a large frame, the knife calls for a heavy blade and is meant to have one as it is a large working knife.

Anyway, that's my take on the blade thickness. You're right about the covers. They are really very nice.

iJP0BcIh.jpg

tLaTQI7h.jpg
I had my Buck blades reground by @Jason B. they're now serious slicers at around 0.015" (by my request) behind the edge. Good prices. Perhaps shoot him a message and ask for a quote? Your knife looks too good not to carry.

Last edited:
I'll just say this Buzz and maybe you'll think I'm nuts but the frame of the knife we picked for the 2017 BF Annual Knife is a large frame. You talk of what you think may be a thick blade behind the edge but if you look down at the knife into the well with the blades closed, a really thin blade would look like it's drowning in the well. The thicker blade fills up the well so to speak. Being a large frame, the knife calls for a heavy blade and is meant to have one as it is a large working knife.

Anyway, that's my take on the blade thickness. You're right about the covers. They are really very nice.
It could be the same thickness at the spine it just needs to be thinner right behind the edge. That would not change the way it looks from the top.

Last edited:
I've not checked in on this thread in a good while, actually since knives started showing up in mailboxes. A quick glance tells me many of you had the same problem that I had. One of two that I received has a lazy sheepsfoot blade. No closing snap whatsoever. I'm fairly confident Buck can make it better but have yet to bother with sending it back.

Back