Forum Knife Updates and comments

Yes Sir ! Mr Ramrod Sir!
And may I say how beautiful you are looking today Sir .
( exits backwards with much bowing and tugging of forelock. Reappears shortly after with a kitten lashed to a broomstick and begins to scrub ..muttering about workload. The kitten mews piteously with each push of the swab mop)
Don't know why, but I feel like pouring me some of my Kraken spiced rum.

Hey Pomsbz I'd like to think that despite its epic roundabout journey that yours is the last pigeon into the coop.
I'm wondering just out of curiosity where you are located for it to take such a convoluted odyssey.
Not that it matters other than I hope no one else is still waiting--it is February after all. Time 'n Tide.and all that.
I do like your upbeat review of the knife. You seem to find positives where many would delve deeper into criticism of every detail of perceived imperfection.
There are of course those with actual faults and that is subjective to individual preference.
"Yes ! We are All Individuals!"
Also you have actively gone about improving it to your desired standard -a forward thinking positive.
I mentioned earlier that I haven't seen one 2018 TFK that I didn't like the look of- but then neither am I looking for perfection...that- to me- would be a hopeless endeavour.
I agree fully with Prester Johns comment about these knives as mementos-very true and far more succinct than anything I could ever come up with.
As far as the NS bolsters go...I think if you were to sand them they would get all scratched up but tthen ffiner and finer grit and a go on a buffing wheel (cloth) would get them shiny again.
I have to get back up on deck to ready the ship for its next voyage into the unknown, there's cabins to be mopped out,sails to be patched ,timbers to be caulked, names to be made up,hounds to be taken for a walk, castle gates to be repaired,oh the list is endless.o_O
Cheers
I was worried that if the nickel is just a coating then rounding off that corner would remove the coating altogether revealing the (different) metal underneath? Perhaps denting the corner very gently with a light hammer might work better?

I think they're solid...but don't quote me on that.
Someone will know the answer.
No medallion. :( Am I doomed?
Maybe I could make one out of the cap when the bottle's empty.
Nay!
You must make the medallion of protection before you release the kraken/ drink a whole bottle of rum....lets face it...i know I wouldnt be in any state the next 2 days to aught but feel queasy and barely alive.

I think they're solid...but don't quote me on that.
Someone will know the answer.

Nay!
You must make the medallion of protection before you release the kraken/ drink a whole bottle of rum....lets face it...i know I wouldnt be in any state the next 2 days to aught but feel queasy and barely alive.
Aye aye, Captain!

I was worried that if the nickel is just a coating then rounding off that corner would remove the coating altogether revealing the (different) metal underneath? Perhaps denting the corner very gently with a light hammer might work better?
Hmm...hammer tapping doesn't remove metal, it moves it and it has to go somewhere. I'd be concerned about that effecting the joint. Even if filing the corners showed, I'd rather have a cosmetic problem than a mechanical one.

Oooh nice! Given that I've already paid almost the cost of the knife on the regrind and killed its second hand value in the process, nothing really to stop me is there?
You have already made it yours (which I appreciate as I do the same) so, I say go for it! The knife came cheap enough that I bet you could still recover most of your investment.:thumbsup:

Hmm...hammer tapping doesn't remove metal, it moves it and it has to go somewhere. I'd be concerned about that effecting the joint. Even if filing the corners showed, I'd rather have a cosmetic problem than a mechanical one.
Thanks! I'm not really good with mechanical things.

You have already made it yours (which I appreciate as I do the same) so, I say go for it! The knife came cheap enough that I bet you could still recover most of your investment.:thumbsup:
Ten minutes later with the diamond file on my LM Charge and all the sharp bolster corners are nicely radiused and still showing the original shine. You would have to look carefully to see that anything at all had been done but the knife is now comfortable in hand for cutting. I peeled a carrot yesterday with the Buck yesterday and my palm is still sore from the sharp corner on that bolster! Now it's fine. I also slightly rounded the edges of the blade spines and the sharp bit at the top of the tang so I don't have the unused blade cutting into my hand when using the other blade. I was worried about those sharp bolsters but now the knife is shaping up into a nice user indeed.

I have a feeling that in the old days everyone would take the time to get the knife ready for their own hands and cutting needs? Tweak here, grind there, etc. Glad not to have to in many ways in this day and age, especially given how hamfisted I am but it's nice to know that it's still possible and with a knife costing this little and with so much potential, it's worth the effort!

I've asked my wife to get hold of some potassium permangranate from work, she runs a lab in a hospital. Then you folks will have to teach me how to use the stuff. I have a mark side to match to the pile side for darkness. :)

Thank you for all the help so far!

Thanks! I'm not really good with mechanical things.

Ten minutes later with the diamond file on my LM Charge and all the sharp bolster corners are nicely radiused and still showing the original shine. You would have to look carefully to see that anything at all had been done but the knife is now comfortable in hand for cutting. I peeled a carrot yesterday with the Buck yesterday and my palm is still sore from the sharp corner on that bolster! Now it's fine. I also slightly rounded the edges of the blade spines and the sharp bit at the top of the tang so I don't have the unused blade cutting into my hand when using the other blade. I was worried about those sharp bolsters but now the knife is shaping up into a nice user indeed.

I have a feeling that in the old days everyone would take the time to get the knife ready for their own hands and cutting needs? Tweak here, grind there, etc. Glad not to have to in many ways in this day and age, especially given how hamfisted I am but it's nice to know that it's still possible and with a knife costing this little and with so much potential, it's worth the effort!

I've asked my wife to get hold of some potassium permangranate from work, she runs a lab in a hospital. Then you folks will have to teach me how to use the stuff. I have a mark side to match to the pile side for darkness. :)

Thank you for all the help so far!
Good job. I might have to do the same if I want to use mine.

I just went through the whole thread looking for the guy who did the incredible job on his scales with potassium permegranate to give the best looking scales on the thread. Turns out it was you! Can you give me some details how to use the stuff? What did you mix it with and what concentration, amount of applications, did you seal it in afterwards, etc? Thanks!

I just went through the whole thread looking for the guy who did the incredible job on his scales with potassium permegranate to give the best looking scales on the thread. Turns out it was you! Can you give me some details how to use the stuff? What did you mix it with and what concentration, amount of applications, did you seal it in afterwards, etc? Thanks!
Hey, thanks so much! I didn't see this until now.
Of course I will share details. I'll send you a PM this weekend.:thumbsup:

Anyone know how to get flitz out of the scales? I found some rust on one of the blades (weird right?) I hit it with some flitz and decided to polish up the bolsters at the same time. Some of the flitz got onto the elk and turned the white to gray. It seems to have got into the grain. No idea how to get it out and whiten those areas again.

Last edited:
Back