Forum Knife Updates and comments

Hey don’t feel too bad or left out. I have my 2 on the way that have been stuck somewhere for over a month. The package was flagged to be returned to the sender due to an “insufficient address” (which is BS) and they basically dissappeared at that point. No one had any answers.

But, they just popped up and SK Blades is sending them back out today for a second try lol. :thumbsup:

Probably makes me the last in the US to receive them! What do I win!?

you win a genuine Stan Lee no-prize!
of course, you may have a difficult time claiming it from him.......

Nope. I did ship to Caleb ( @hengem ), but no knife yet, and I've heard nothing from Buck. Maybe they're a bit backed up on service work at the moment, and wait times are over 5 or 6 weeks.
Same here, been a couple weeks with no word. I figure it'll be a few more weeks at least... think their warranty page says 6-8 weeks this time of year.

I'm still loving my 2018 BF knife, but I've noticed that there is a lot more space at the end of the blade well on this Buck than I've seen on the GEC patterns and a few other traditionals. Is this just the way Buck likes to do it, or is this particular pattern just meant to have more space?

I just dragged out a 4" Queen Stockman and was shocked at how much longer the clip was than on the Buck. At least a quarter of an inch. Now I'm seeing your point here. The Buck does feel a little under-bladed for the length of the handle.

On the 401/402 Single Blades I have, there is significant space at the end of the blade; looks a bit odd, but the kknife is a treat anyway.

Ed J

I just dragged out a 4" Queen Stockman and was shocked at how much longer the clip was than on the Buck. At least a quarter of an inch. Now I'm seeing your point here. The Buck does feel a little under-bladed for the length of the handle.
The responses above said shorter blades like this are common on a stockman pattern. It definitely isn’t a huge deal, but I was curious.

The responses above said shorter blades like this are common on a stockman pattern. It definitely isn’t a huge deal, but I was curious.

Dunno. I've only got the one other large Stockman. And a Possum Skinner sitting and waiting for me at home. I do have a 4 1/4" Cattle knife and the main clip blade is a bit over half an inch longer than the Buck.

Dunno. I've only got the one other large Stockman. And a Possum Skinner sitting and waiting for me at home. I do have a 4 1/4" Cattle knife and the main clip blade is a bit over half an inch longer than the Buck.
Maybe it is just a Buck thing?

I think it's a question of frame, construction and blade-stock;)

The GEC 82 is longer and considerably wider than the Forum Knife, thus its blades are wider too, but is notably slimmer. No surprise as it's single-spring whereas the Buck hosts a blade on each spring. The GEC may look like it fills the well more but remember it has a cam-tang filling up empty space. The Buck's blade stock is massively more substantial than the GEC's as well and the blades are certainly different Clip v Turkish Clip and Sheepfoot v long Wharncliffe.

The Forum Knife not only has thicker stock it has much bigger tangs. The GEC's Master blade rides far lower into the frame as one would expect with a Turkish Clip.

I don't have any micrometers only a metric ruler (you'll have to convert to your Imperial measures;)) but you'll get an idea.

GEC 82 Skinner 10.5 cm closed. Forum Knife 10 cm

Approx length of Master blade GEC 8.2 cm Forum Knife 7.5 cm

So, about 78% ratio of frame length (external) as opposed to 75% for the Buck.

Last edited:
Found a knife waiting for me when I got home from work the other day..
Finally!!

Sure, as some of you noticed, perhaps the blades could be a little longer with more sharpened edge.

Fit-n-finish-wise I'm happy with my specimen. :)

QSE0P0c.jpg

Can I ask a favour from you folks?

Can someone please measure the main blade for me? I need length from the tip to the beginning of the 'blade' part (where the ridge is above the blade forums mark). I also need the height of the blade at the tallest point (where the dip towards the point begins).

I sent mine directly to be thinned out by a pro. The pictures I was sent back post thinning are making me rather worried, it looks like it's shorter than it should be. On the other hand it might just be camera angle. It's on the way to me now and I want some figures to measure it against.

Thanks!

Mine looks like right around 2 7/16" long, by 17/32" at highest point

I gotta say, I've really been enjoying carrying this forum knife. It's a decent handful for sure.

Truth be told, I bought this one off a member with the plan of swapping out the covers, but I'm really liking the elk! The color is a little washed out on this one, but with handling and use, it's developing its' own "patina". Doesn't mean it won't get a new "jacket" at some point, but I am enjoying the original covers for now!

bf2018-5.jpg

@Pomsbz, Looks like mine is a hair under 2.5" from the grind line at the front of the ricasso to the tip, and about half an inch wide at the widest part.

(Sorry for poor quality photos. The light is bad in here atm.)

46930696081_d6934f70ea_c.jpg

31989717187_44016b50d2_c.jpg

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: I am too slow. :p
Mine looks like right around 2 7/16" long, by 17/32" at highest point
Thank you both very much indeed!

Back