Forum Knife Updates and comments

Still no word from Buck on my knife..........
Same here, Buzz! Been 4 weeks now, I kinda figured they'd put it in the system when it got there, but I guess it must just go in the queue and get put in when they get to it. Hopefully soon, I'm ready to put it to use!

Yeah, I've learned in the past that the Buck Spa gets real busy after hunting season - busiest time of the year. My last Buck Knife sent in this time of year took two months. The work was outstanding but the wait was long. OH

I just got mine back yesterday!! (one only)
They fixed the lack of snap in the secondary, and the low spring in the same blade. Just what the doctor ordered!!:thumbsup:
Thanks Buck!! It's a worthy knife, and worth waiting for!!
I'm a happy camper!!:)

We need someone who collects the Stockman pattern to chime in. All I can do is speculate.

You rang?
XGFYcSG.jpg

I pulled out some 4" stockman knives including a standard Buck 301.
The clip blade is ~1/8" shorter than that of the average 4" stockman.
But it is the same length as the clip blade on a standard Buck 301.

Maybe it is just a Buck thing?

Apparently so. I'd never noticed it on my 301's.

Well it's finally here! Am I the last person to get theirs? :) I had it sent to my dad who lives in NY, he sent it to be reground considerably thinner (0.015" behind the edge), it was then sent to a friend who mailed it abroad to me.

buck.jpg

buck_1.jpg

Thoughts so far, please forgive them being a bit of a jumble. I wish the sides were better matching. How would I darken the mark side to match the pile side? It's a lot more noticeable in person. There's a big hole in the well where the missing blade is, I didn't think of that. I'll just have to be careful to keep it clean. W&T is mushy. No other words to describe it. I'll hit it with some WD40 and try to flush it. The spines of the blades are quite sharp, I'll dull them down carefully with a stone later. No gaps, sunken bolsters or other problems. The main blade is a drop short (I like 2.65-3" of cutting edge and the regrind lost me a 0.1" in addition) but I like having a large handle for it. As much blade as you need but without giving up comfort in hand when cutting. I just tried my benchmark test, slicing up an apple, the new grind works perfectly, the blade is just long enough but was sufficient. I do wish the pins were not visible but it's not a real world problem. It was far worse aesthetically on my BF 2015 knife where it really bugged me. The corners of the bolsters are quite sharp when digging into my palm during cutting with the knife. No idea how I would deal with this though?

All in all, a knife that deserves better imagery than I've done quickly above. :D

Cleaned out the well, flushed and oiled up the hinges. Action gone from mushy to lazy. Doesn't bother me much though.

Hmm, the corner of the bolster is really sharp in the palm of my hand when cutting stuff. If I round it off with sand paper I'm going to mess up the nickel right?

Hmm, the corner of the bolster is really sharp in the palm of my hand when cutting stuff. If I round it off with sand paper I'm going to mess up the nickel right?
I noticed the sharp bolsters too. And my sheepsfoot has lackluster action. It's a pretty knife, but don't carry it. The standard 301 with black plastic handles is MUCH more comfortable to use. Plus, I prefer the heft, the extra blade, ease of sharpening, and the Buck shield. But the forum knife is a nice memento.

Hey Pomsbz I'd like to think that despite its epic roundabout journey that yours is the last pigeon into the coop.
I'm wondering just out of curiosity where you are located for it to take such a convoluted odyssey.
Not that it matters other than I hope no one else is still waiting--it is February after all. Time 'n Tide.and all that.
I do like your upbeat review of the knife. You seem to find positives where many would delve deeper into criticism of every detail of perceived imperfection.
There are of course those with actual faults and that is subjective to individual preference.
"Yes ! We are All Individuals!"
Also you have actively gone about improving it to your desired standard -a forward thinking positive.
I mentioned earlier that I haven't seen one 2018 TFK that I didn't like the look of- but then neither am I looking for perfection...that- to me- would be a hopeless endeavour.
I agree fully with Prester Johns comment about these knives as mementos-very true and far more succinct than anything I could ever come up with.
As far as the NS bolsters go...I think if you were to sand them they would get all scratched up but tthen ffiner and finer grit and a go on a buffing wheel (cloth) would get them shiny again.
I have to get back up on deck to ready the ship for its next voyage into the unknown, there's cabins to be mopped out,sails to be patched ,timbers to be caulked, names to be made up,hounds to be taken for a walk, castle gates to be repaired,oh the list is endless.o_O
Cheers

Yes Sir ! Mr Ramrod Sir!
And may I say how beautiful you are looking today Sir .
( exits backwards with much bowing and tugging of forelock. Reappears shortly after with a kitten lashed to a broomstick and begins to scrub ..muttering about workload. The kitten mews piteously with each push of the swab mop)

All,

I have most of the returns on my desk. We are about ready to start the work on them. I need to get them into the shop as a group and discuss in detail what needs to happen to them so the repairs go well. The lucky member above had an easy fix, so I was able to turn it. Most, if not all, will have to be rebuilt from scratch due to the construction.

These are not in the general warranty queue, so once we can get working on them it won't take too long. Normally I wouldn't round up knives from a project like this, but felt it was important to see the group as a whole..
All in all, we had 12 returns out of the build.
I meant to post this earlier, but has been crazy around here with the SHOT show before and after rush..
Jeff

All,

I have most of the returns on my desk. We are about ready to start the work on them. I need to get them into the shop as a group and discuss in detail what needs to happen to them so the repairs go well. The lucky member above had an easy fix, so I was able to turn it. Most, if not all, will have to be rebuilt from scratch due to the construction.

These are not in the general warranty queue, so once we can get working on them it won't take too long. Normally I wouldn't round up knives from a project like this, but felt it was important to see the group as a whole..
I meant to post this earlier, but has been crazy around here with the SHOT show before and after rush..
Jeff
Can I still get in on the repair? I have a sheepfoot blade that has to be pushed all the way open and some minor gaps.

All,

Jeff
Thank you for the update, Jeff!

Back