Forum Knife Updates and comments

Anyone know how to get flitz out of the scales? I found some rust on one of the blades (weird right?) I hit it with some flitz and decided to polish up the bolsters at the same time. Some of the flitz got onto the elk and turned the white to gray. It seems to have got into the grain. No idea how to get it out and whiten those areas again.
Hot soapy water and a toothbrush?
I've never used Flitz. I use Mother's Mag Polish on the rare occasions I polish the bolsters on my knives.
Shiny bolsters (and blades) are fingerprint and smudge magnets. :(

If you dampen the rag before using any cleaner /polish like this you will get less black residue.. Also tape the bone/stag etc before using said cleaner/polish.. JMO.. Works for me!!;)
John

If you dampen the rag before using any cleaner /polish like this you will get less black residue.. Also tape the bone/stag etc before using said cleaner/polish.. JMO.. Works for me!!;)
John
Yup, unfortunately I'm too late. The black went into the bone. I've scrubbed with a toothbrush and toothpaste, water and soap, alcohol and even acetone but without a whole lot of luck. There is still a light grey shadow. :( If you didn't know you would think it was the colour of the bone but I have the 'before pics'. :(

J J Hubbard , wondering the same. I've got a proud tip on a clip blade, but life's been busy, and I haven't gotten around to sending it in yet.
Having not heard back in this thread, I called Buck today and was told to go ahead and send it in.

So I would imagine you would be good to send yours in as well.

All,

I have most of the returns on my desk. We are about ready to start the work on them. I need to get them into the shop as a group and discuss in detail what needs to happen to them so the repairs go well. The lucky member above had an easy fix, so I was able to turn it. Most, if not all, will have to be rebuilt from scratch due to the construction.

These are not in the general warranty queue, so once we can get working on them it won't take too long. Normally I wouldn't round up knives from a project like this, but felt it was important to see the group as a whole..
All in all, we had 12 returns out of the build.
I meant to post this earlier, but has been crazy around here with the SHOT show before and after rush..
Jeff
Hey Jeff... just curious, will we get any kind of email from Buck when these are on their way back home, or an update in this thread when they're done, or should I just keep anxiously checking the mailbox every day?

Hey Jeff... just curious, will we get any kind of email from Buck when these are on their way back home, or an update in this thread when they're done, or should I just keep anxiously checking the mailbox every day?
I like to use the USPS Informed Delivery feature for cases like these. It's free to sign up and you get notifications of USPS packages shipping to your address whether you know about them in advance or not.

You'll know when a package ships from Idaho Falls as long as Buck uses USPS to ship.

Yeppers..

If you have one to be repaired, send it to my Attn so it hits my desk instead of the general warranty queue..
Jeff

Yeppers..

If you have one to be repaired, send it to my Attn so it hits my desk instead of the general warranty queue..
Jeff
Thanks Jeff... mine was delivered back to Buck on 1/2. I can't remember if I specifically sent it to your attn, but I know I at least mentioned you in the repair description. I just haven't heard anything since (roughly 7 weeks), so I'm not sure if it's in a queue, in process, finished, etc. I thought the form said there would be an email sent when it was put in the system and when it was shipped back, but from other comments that seems it may not be the case.

I received an email from Buck Warranty today saying my 301 was received and will be processed on Mar 17th.

I'm thrilled to get the email. It helped a lot to read posts in this thread saying that emails were not being received so I was able to relax. My Canada Post tracking said my package was delivered to Buck on Jan 9th.

Brian

All,

I have most of the returns on my desk. We are about ready to start the work on them. I need to get them into the shop as a group and discuss in detail what needs to happen to them so the repairs go well. The lucky member above had an easy fix, so I was able to turn it. Most, if not all, will have to be rebuilt from scratch due to the construction.

These are not in the general warranty queue, so once we can get working on them it won't take too long. Normally I wouldn't round up knives from a project like this, but felt it was important to see the group as a whole..
All in all, we had 12 returns out of the build.
I meant to post this earlier, but has been crazy around here with the SHOT show before and after rush..
Jeff
J J Hubbard ... Just bumping this back up to check if there is any update on these knives. I'm still checking the mailbox daily with high hopes, but they'd be really high if there was an ETA! :D

I received an email from Buck Warranty today saying my 301 was received and will be processed on Mar 17th.

I'm thrilled to get the email. It helped a lot to read posts in this thread saying that emails were not being received so I was able to relax. My Canada Post tracking said my package was delivered to Buck on Jan 9th.

Brian

Another email today. My repair is already on its way back to me.

Yippee.

The Potassium Permanganate finally arrived from Thailand of all places, I've no idea where to find it here. Keep in mind I've never done this kind of thing before. :)

Before (ok but rather bland, particularly the mark side):

buck_1.jpg

buck.jpg

After some careful treatment with PP, sanding for effect and then a gentle polish with green buffing compound (cause that's all I had). Please excuse different lighting:

buck_7.jpg

buck_6.jpg

Now that is more what I had in mind when I'd voted for the 'dark and knobbly'. :D The sides are also far better matched now. I could probably get a better picture outdoors which would show the shine now apparent on the antler (was flat matte before) but it will have to wait for daylight tomorrow, it's late-ish here now.

Next issue to deal with. Snap or lack thereof with the main blade. If I don't consciously pull it fully open all the way it will sometimes hang slightly. Here's a picture to show what I mean. I've checked and there's no grit, I've flushed it well with WD-40 (to clear) and then oil, helped a bit but still far from good. Any ideas? Should I try an oil bath overnight for that area?

buck_8.jpg

Last edited:
Came out great!:):thumbsup:
PotassiumPermanganate is some good stuff, just don't know why it's so hard to find now. Should be able to find it at drugstores, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Back