French regional knives...

Not sure Charlie, it came in an attractive wooden box and the Horn has darkened and striped a bit over the years very nicely. Opinel do special runs and I think Jolipapa Jolipapa or @Âchillepattada and our other French friends and Connexions ;) will be able to say more? Thank you for your appreciation too :cool:
No horn on the official site, only effilé n°10 in dark horn and zebu horn n°8 are available over the counter for the moment.
coffret-opinel-effile-n10-corne.jpg
couteau-opinel-inox-corne.jpg

All I found is a picture :(
couteau-opinel-effile-luxe-corne-blonde-10cm.jpg

My first knife addiction was with Vic’s and Opinel’s. My first Opinel #8 was with me for many years, it was in my pocket as a Chef, doing demo, construction and as a tin knocker doing HVAC and all my hiking/camping activities. If any knife was ever abused by me it was this one, I’ve punched it through sheet metal many times used cinderblocks on job sites to sharpen it, it’s demise coincidently was not caused by me, I loaned it to sparky the electrician whom hit a live wire with it. He disappeared with my knife at the end of the day and returned to the job site with the blade looking as it does today. The live wire took a chunk out of the blade so he took it home and did me the “favor” of taking it to a grinder.
BeQx8gG.jpg

life lessons never loan out a knife.
wPcDU9t.jpg

my favorite Opinel size is the #9
Which I soon replaced the #8 with and again I used and abused the heck out of it.
yYqW3bn.jpg

2- #9’s left is the more abused #9
wv81lXk.jpg

#9 in right my fancy Opi
gAzDom3.jpg

and the group with a #10 workhorse

Not sure Charlie, it came in an attractive wooden box and the Horn has darkened and striped a bit over the years very nicely. Opinel do special runs and I think Jolipapa Jolipapa or @Âchillepattada and our other French friends and Connexions ;) will be able to say more? Thank you for your appreciation too :cool:
You are welcome; and thanks, Will:thumbsup:! I'm on the hunt!!:D

My first knife addiction was with Vic’s and Opinel’s. My first Opinel #8 was with me for many years, it was in my pocket as a Chef, doing demo, construction and as a tin knocker doing HVAC and all my hiking/camping activities. If any knife was ever abused by me it was this one, I’ve punched it through sheet metal many times used cinderblocks on job sites to sharpen it, it’s demise coincidently was not caused by me, I loaned it to sparky the electrician whom hit a live wire with it. He disappeared with my knife at the end of the day and returned to the job site with the blade looking as it does today. The live wire took a chunk out of the blade so he took it home and did me the “favor” of taking it to a grinder.
BeQx8gG.jpg

life lessons never loan out a knife.
wPcDU9t.jpg

my favorite Opinel size is the #9
Which I soon replaced the #8 with and again I used and abused the heck out of it.
yYqW3bn.jpg

2- #9’s left is the more abused #9
wv81lXk.jpg

#9 in right my fancy Opi
gAzDom3.jpg

and the group with a #10 workhorse
Nice to see some knives with real-world Patina, Stich2442 Stich2442 !:)
I even like your "regrind" special!!:thumbsup:

Hi, all. I was wondering if any of the French members have heard any word concerning Renaud Aubry? I have had a knife in my shopping cart on his site for three months (give or take), but, when I go to check-out, I get this message, "Pour des raisons de santé, notre coutelier n’est actuellement pas en mesure de fabriquer vos couteaux. Nous lui souhaitons un rétablissement rapide et vous tiendrons informé de la réouverture du site aux commandes." My command of French is beyond pitiful, but I think this means, "Due to health concerns, our cutler is currently unable to manufacture your knife. We hope he recovers quickly and we will keep you informed via the site." Or something to that effect. Anyone know anything?

And, to keep the thread on track, here are some of my Fontenille Patauds. The top one is buffalo horn, the middle is maple burl, and the bottom is phosphorescent resin. I know the resin one is kind of ugly, but there is a story behind it. I flew a long trans-Atlantic flight with the horn knife in my luggage. As it turns out, the very cold and dry conditions in the hold can cause natural materials to move, much to my dismay. So I decided to get a synthetic handled alternative for travel. It is actually kind of cool, as it turns blue with exposure to ultraviolet light (the intensity varies with the amount of UV) and it also glows in the dark after exposure to any type of light.

fp_lockbacks.JPG

A aji1 you've correctly translated the message. Did you order a knife? or just tried? I have heard rumors (mid-february) that RA intended to stop his knife business and was mno more making knives but can't say what happened. I shall try to know more and will let you know if I get any news but those mountaineers are sometimes tight-lipped.:)

Jolipapa Jolipapa , I constructed the knife (with Renaud's awesome "configurator") and put it in my basket. When I tried to check-out, it wouldn't accept any payment information or let me conclude the transaction. I have tried every few days since. I am kind of bummed out, as I have had this knife in mind for a while, but never pulled the trigger (or attempted to) until a few months ago. I would greatly appreciate any news that you hear!

Jolipapa Jolipapa , thank you very much for calling in your sources! I am disappointed to hear that, but maybe there is still hope that Renaud will make a few more knives. If nothing else, he probably has some stock to liquidate.

The knife in my shopping cart is a Navette with warthog ivory handles, Sarenne style backspring, and black spacers. Here are some screenshots from the configurator.

configurator1.png
configurator2.png

Back