French regional knives...

BTW, Here is my collection of Opinels. The table knives were on sale at a very good price, and my eclectic assortment of 30+ year old steak knives can barely cut through meatloaf.

Eakp8PQ.jpg

I love this thread. I just received what is now my favourite knife: a Fontenille Pataud le Thiers Nature, and I love it. It is dark out now, and I am tired, and taking medicine for back pain, but will try to take some pictures tomorrow to post here.

A few more photos of my latest acquisition:
c3MbUUY.jpg

Le Thiers Nature par Fontenille Pataud, boxwood handle, 14C28 steel.
HMXfiRA.jpg

3kTGzVN.jpg

Some closeups of the file work.

The knife has a good handle to blade ratio, with good balance. The blade tip rests in a groove milled in the spring:
wV8X6qk.jpg

CRDTdsH.jpg

The spring extension works as the lock release, and also has a lanyard hole.

OilZXFi.jpg

The blade steel.

The knife is a perfect fit for my hand:
ZTF21el.jpg

And it comes with a nice leather pocket sheath:
SXFJW9N.jpg

Comparison with a smaller Thiers knife and an Opinel No. 8:
TpvruHA.jpg

I went on a short trip out of town today, and we stopped at a German restaurant for lunch. They gave me a plastic knife! Guess what I used instead:
s9oacge.jpg

I had the Milano plate. First time I ate a a German restaurant without beer. I think they are working on getting a liquor license. Anyway, I took care of the problem when I got home:
ptxlIwS.jpg

À votre santé!

Last edited:
c3MbUUY.jpg

HMXfiRA.jpg

3kTGzVN.jpg

The knife has a good handle to blade ratio, with good balance. The blade tip rests in a groove milled in the spring:
wV8X6qk.jpg

CRDTdsH.jpg

OilZXFi.jpg

The blade steel.

ZTF21el.jpg

SXFJW9N.jpg

TpvruHA.jpg

I went on a short trip out of town today, and we stopped at a German restaurant for lunch. They gave me a plastic knife! Guess what I used instead:
s9oacge.jpg

I had the Milano plate. First time I ate a a German restaurant without beer. I think they are working on getting a liquor license. Anyway, I took care of the problem when I got home:
ptxlIwS.jpg

A votre santé!
Really good looking knife.
Normally I would say that such a good looking French knife deserves a good French wine but being a German myself I can easily understand the beer

Gerd

Normally I would say that such a good looking French knife deserves a good French wine but being a German myself I can easily understand the beer

Gerd
Danke, Gerd. I love good French wines, but German beer is wonderful. The dish I had at the German restaurant was Milano, which is Italian. I am very cosmopolitan, n'est-ce pas?

That's a really nice knife Vince Prester John Prester John . The file work on the spring is clean and sharp, and the way the blade nestles into the grooved spring is unique. The covers are very nice too.
Thanks, Ed. I am very pleased with it. There were so many cover options available, it was hard to choose one. But I love the boxwood--simple, elegant, old fashioned.

Danke, Gerd. I love good French wines, but German beer is wonderful. The dish I had at the German restaurant was Milano, which is Italian. I am very cosmopolitan, n'est-ce pas?
In this case you can call it Wiener Schnitzel! ;)
c3MbUUY.jpg

HMXfiRA.jpg

3kTGzVN.jpg

wV8X6qk.jpg

CRDTdsH.jpg

OilZXFi.jpg

The blade steel.

ZTF21el.jpg

SXFJW9N.jpg

TpvruHA.jpg

s9oacge.jpg

ptxlIwS.jpg

À votre santé!
A la tienne! Imho 14c28 is a great improvement over 12c27 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gerd

Beer, wine all good with meals :cool:

Some decent wines you have too in Germany- but you don't export them ;) enjoyed the wines in Schwäben including reds with one of my German GFs (thousands of years ago :eek:)

Great new knife there Vince Prester John Prester John :thumbsup:

Back