From the arcane world of knifemaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your well thought comments and questions. I don't know what the hardness is. I would like to know if there is any blade that is ~1/16 of an inch thick that can do what a sawzall blade can do. I think the answer to your question is in performance and not numbers. IMHO knives have become very complicated - "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Albert Einstein

yep, nothing special about a "sawzall" blade. Bi-metal? tungsten carbide?

they're heat treated to a specific hardness and cut with teeth to "saw"

the teeth on a bimetal blade are usually the part thats made from a differing metal, so cutting them off I would make it a simple carbon steel.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your comments and questions. Just keep things cool and there is no need to heat treat after the blade is profiled and beveled IF you keep it cool. It's always fun to look at something that has devolved into an arcane process and make it or improve it using the simplest of tools and methods. The comedy here is that your SawZall creation will out-perform many sophisticated knives out there. Give it a try and I think you will be surprised how easy it really is. The worst thing that can happen - you ruined a $3 SawZall blade:)

Thanks again for your comments and questions. Just keep things cool and there is no need to heat treat after the blade is profiled and beveled IF you keep it cool. It's always fun to look at something that has devolved into an arcane process and make it or improve it using the simplest of tools and methods. The comedy here is that your SawZall creation will out-perform many sophisticated knives out there. Give it a try and I think you will be surprised how easy it really is. The worst thing that can happen - you ruined a $3 SawZall blade:)

to keeping things simple:cool:

IMG_0591_op_768x576.jpg

It's always fun to look at something that has devolved into an arcane process and make it or improve it using the simplest of tools and methods. The comedy here is that your SawZall creation will out-perform many sophisticated knives out there. Give it a try and I think you will be surprised how easy it really is. The worst thing that can happen - you ruined a $3 SawZall blade:)

I'm baffled. It's like we got the concluding comment of a post without the intro or body.

I prefer the ergos of the Bushmonkey, but the sawzall blade just disappears into my pocket.

What I was trying to articulate was how complicated and arcane knives have become. Let's face it, knives are about a simple a tool as you can make. I can't help thinking about what Einstein said and how far removed knifemaking is from his words. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." I made a simple knife using simple methods from a simple material. What do you think of the simplicity of the picture;-) I would like to know how the most sophisticated, expensive and complicated knife performs better then the one in the picture.

Last edited:
It's always fun to look at something that has devolved into an arcane process and make it or improve it using the simplest of tools and methods. The comedy here is that your SawZall creation will out-perform many sophisticated knives out there. Give it a try and I think you will be surprised how easy it really is. The worst thing that can happen - you ruined a $3 SawZall blade.

are you referring to yourself in the third person?

What I was trying to articulate was how complicated and arcane knives have become. Let's face it, knives are about a simple a tool as you can make. I can't help thinking about what Einstein said and how far removed knifemaking is from his words. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." I made a simple knife using simple methods from a simple material. What do you think of the simplicity of the picture;-) I would like to know how the most sophisticated, expensive and complicated knife performs better then the one in the picture.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance..

I think I get what you are saying. You made the pictured knife from the same kind of Sawzall blade in the picture. The knife is simple and works really well. I was not a complicated process and overall you feel that the knifemaking art has become too complex.

Am I on the correct path ?

Tostig

Thank you, Tostig. Arcane is more fitting but complicated works too.

I'm pretty sure the big portion of a bi-metal saw blade is made relatively soft.
Probably tough but won't hold an edge in the same league as 1095 @ Rc 60.

This has been posted before. I think it's suppose to be an ad.

It is an ad that solicits opinions on what is written and photographed. Its easy: look, read, form an opinion and then put your opinion into writing. If you don't have an opinion then move along. Thanks in advance for your well thought opinions.

I am not sure why you have two identical posts in two different forums (here and in customs) as one in one location would suffice. Two identical posts in two subforums by the same poster seems pretty Arcane to me....therefore arent your actions going against the very message you are trying to send? How can we believe your values when you dont seem to live/post by them?

I am referring to this post in customs

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830072

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back