From the arcane world of knifemaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to get as many opinions on the subject I posted as possible. The simplest way to do that is to post it multiple times. Different people read different forums and form different opinions. Since I seek different opinions, I post on different forums. Thank you for your opinion.

btw - it's perfectly alrght to make something simple as complicated and mysterious as you want.

I think the Bushmonkey is a very clean and utilitarian design that would be ideal for bushcraft and camping, IMO.

btw - it's perfectly alrght to make something simple as complicated and mysterious as you want.

How can you make something simple "...as complicated...as you want"?

I'm confused. You know why? Because trying to figure out what is going on in this thread is incredibly complicated.

Now why is making a knife blade out of a Sawzall blade less complicated than making the same blade out of a steel bar? Ti make the Sawzall a steel bar had a ton of actions performed on it, then you performed yet more actions on it to turn it into a knife blade.

:confused:

How can you make something simple "...as complicated...as you want"?
A knife is a simple tool, it can be made an esoteric thing by getting caught up in the materials, manufacture, embellishments, etc. Falls in line with the discussions over flintknapped rocks, non-hardening metals used for blades in ancient times, grandpa's $3 knife still working 50 years later with no lock, no titanium, and no CNC work, mountain men having lived well enough with thin butcher knives and no infi, tacticool folders turning mall ninjas into badasses while the killings worldwide actually happen with kitchen knives, screwdrivers, and the cheapest machetes available, or wondering why so many swiss army knives are out there when they don't have a speck of carbon fiber or vanadium on them.

Still, a bi-metal sawblade isn't a good choice, the solid carbon or HSS blades with be homogenous and harden throughout. But I get that the knife is such a simple tool that it can be made out of a consumable part for another tool.

I'm still totally baffled. SawzAll appreciation thread?

My Milwaukee is 14 amps of violent/angry matter separation. Cuts out one heck of a knife blank too.

or did you magically turn a bi-metal blade into a knife? Looks like a handy design though.

Maybe Einstein was wrong, but I dont think so. Many people are compelled to go from simple to complex. I bet you could fill a small library with literature, data, numbers, atomic tables, vector diagrams, angles, formulas graphs, studies, procedures... on how to make a knife.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Albert Einstein

Knife-making has become as arcane as certain writing flourishes. If words are currency, I'd say the OP's coin was ill-spent...

However, I like the look of the BushMonkey. How much are they selling for?

Maybe Einstein was wrong, but I dont think so. Many people are compelled to go from simple to complex. I bet you could fill a small library with literature, data, numbers, atomic tables, vector diagrams, angles, formulas graphs, studies, procedures... on how to make a knife.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Albert Einstein

all you are doing is repeating yourself, and it was nothing but rhetoric to begin with.

if you want to talk about your knife, then tell us about the process. more than a few of us are confused at how you made the pictured knife from a saw blade.

An interesting discussion. Maybe the manufacturing process of knives (steel, design etc.) has become more complicated in an effort to improve, if not simplify, their performance. Isn't that the case with technology generally?

What is this ''Bi-metal''

And yes, i generally try to go for function first and aesthetics as an afterthought.
It's very hard when i have to mail order 95%+ of my choices.

I see what your getting at but, this can be said about anything in life. Knives are not a simple thing. It is our modern knowledge that makes them simple.

It took thousands of years to develop what we know today as a modern knife. We started with sticks and stones.

If you took say a very simple and easy to duplicate knife like the dkw sandshark and brought it back a thousand years that no longer becomes just a simple object.

I'm of the opinion that you don't know what the word "arcane" actually means, because knifemaking is a very open art.

How do you know the blade is O1? I'm not aware of any sawzall blades that are tool steel all the way through. My experience with them (in a sawzall) is that they take a set very easily, telling me that they are not hard enough for my liking.

Thank you for your comments. I think we all know that what a knife is made of is of little importance compared to the hand that holds it. There are a few guys that can do almost anything with a sharp stick and an entire herd of guys who have trouble sharpening a pencil with the finest knife ever made;-)

So are you saying that your knives are roughly equivalent to a sharp stick?

Thank you for your comments. I think we all know that what a knife is made of is of little importance compared to the hand that holds it. There are a few guys that can do almost anything with a sharp stick and an entire herd of guys who have trouble sharpening a pencil with the finest knife ever made;-)

Acrid,

How did you know that I was stating that my knives "are roughly equivalent to a sharp stick"? Thank you for illuminating my point. You are a smart guy - carry on...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back