From the arcane world of knifemaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not unless you are a different James Terrio then the one that surpassed 1234 a long time ago. :)

Busted! I lost my old pass and the old email addy expired after not using it for months, so I started over :eek: :foot:

heat treat?

we don't need no stinkin heat treat.

Thanks again for your comments and questions. Just keep things cool and there is no need to heat treat after the blade is profiled and beveled IF you keep it cool. It's always fun to look at something that has devolved into an arcane process and make it or improve it using the simplest of tools and methods. The comedy here is that your SawZall creation will out-perform many sophisticated knives out there. Give it a try and I think you will be surprised how easy it really is. The worst thing that can happen - you ruined a $3 SawZall blade:)

btw, instead of copy/pasting this in every post, go to your user cp and just add a sig line. :rolleyes:

I mean someone has to do the arcane work... you cant just skip it.

You see you are wrong... sawzall blades come from stores and nobody knows how they are made... it is widely believed that they are reminants from the "big bang"... but for all we know, it could go even deeper than that... as in alien seeding (but you didn't hear that from me.):cool:

Rick:thumbup:

Your "sawzall" knife looks like a good little user, I have serious doubts that you actually made that from that Type of Blade. doing an overlay from the picture you provided it would still be a saw (teeth and all) there is just not enough width in the blade. If I am wrong I apologize.

If I understand what you said (Somewhere back there) is that you keep the blade cool when grinding/cutting so that you don't have to HT the knife at all, you keep the original HT from the Blade manufacturer? unfortunately I believe that the only hardened part are the actual teeth, sawzall blades bend very easily (Speaking from experience here).

You can offer one in O1 if anyone is interested in going to your Website and ordering one? Why would you make knives in any other steel if the Sawzall blade is the simple Shiznit?

If you want to sell knives here, just tell us what you have and leave out the circle talk please! There is a lot of blood, sweat and tears in this forum and the results to prove it. The wheel is simple, steel is not :rolleyes:

Opinion???

Um---- that this is all incredibly ironic. The theme of the post is that knife making has become arcane: which is to say it's mysterious and only understood by a specialized few. Yet you haven't really answered any of the questions that have been posted about what you made.

Doesn't that make your process arcane???? :confused:

If you consider the fact that there is a forum you are posting on, that is all about helping and sharing with the craft of knife making---- then I will have to completely disagree with your post(s).

Knife making, for the most part, is a set of learned skills. Are they top secret? Do you need the special hand-shake? No. Can you over simplify??? YES.

A knife ground out of a sawzall blade is going to be a knife shaped object.

This is simply a self promotion scheme. His website traffic just exploded in the last few days and the more he is mentioned the better his search rating. I say letting this drop is the best response.

Here is another Einstein quote.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”

Sorry, it was too easy.

His logo "etch" is photoshopped. Its so ridiculously obvious.

The original "chisos" pic is so saturated with some crazy filter that it hides all kinds of stuff. Scratches etc. Other knives on the site are like that too. I feel that the editing is not for the sake of being artistic, or to enhance the look of his site etc... It's just being deceptive.

Every knife can be found on knifekits. You "engineered" nothing.

BMK. You should have stepped up from the start and told everybody that you were a kit maker. No shame in that. They actually look really nice and you have some apparent skill. I will admit, the handle work is very clean.

But no. We get the "Hey I'm Bear Grylls"/Dark Ops/Angel Sword/Einstein bit.

Looks like you wanted to start off doing alot of running, and not alot of crawling and walking.

I think the sawzall blade knife is just a template after visiting the site.

What I don't get is all the other knives on the site are marked 440C and D2.... wouldn't the making of these have to be done the old arcane way?

I mean someone has to do the arcane work... you cant just skip it.

That's what I was wondering about, where is he getting 154-CM and D2 kit blades, or is that a misrepresentation ?

and

re the Sawsall blade, as I read the OP site, that was the origional, and the current blades are O1 from scratch.

I think this Sawsall is just some marketing to establish some sort of different identity.

Last edited:
My reading of his site indicated that you can buy either blade. O1 is slightly more expensive than the sawzall version. So, we don't know which this is, I suppose.

My reading of his site indicated that you can buy either blade. O1 is slightly more expensive than the sawzall version. So, we don't know which this is, I suppose.

if the sawzall blade actually exists.

this is the first maker i have encountered who refuses to discuss his production methods. these guys are always posting wip threads and pics of their shops.

Jantz is now offering some of their more popular styles in other steel options like D2 and 154CM. The Glacier, for instance, is the same blade pattern as the Boone & Crockett Skinner found on TKS (I know, I've completed 4 so far). It's known by other names on other sites. Since he is stating that those styles can be had in D2 and 154CM, it appears as if he is getting his blades from Jantz.

My question is, why lie? I do kit knives and I do not lie about it. They allow me to produce a quality product while I learn how to grind my own steel...there is no shame in that.

The shame comes from trying to pass off kit blades as your own creations...especially when you try to get people to believe that they are made from Sawzall blades...which is ASTOUNDINGLY hilarious. Clearly, he has never used a Sawzall blade and seen how easy it can be bent under normal use.

Edit: When viewing the gallery, there is a picture of a Sawzall blade being formed into the blade shape of the Baby Chisos. However, I still dispute the ability of said blade's strength. It appears as if the 'maker' tried doing a knife from a Sawzall blade, perhaps creating one and realizing how hard it was to make a quality product, then decided to resort to selling kit blades.

I could be wrong...but probably not.

Last edited:
I design, fabricate and/or procure the individual components of the knife: blade, handle material, mechanical fasteners, lanyard tubing, adhesive and modify, shape, fit, finish, assemble and inspect every knife that leaves my shop. I have done my job when there is nothing to take away and elegance remains.

J. Peterman??

In this quote, he speaks the truth (mostly) about his setup.

Key word is PROCURE.

I basically do the same thing.

In designing, I decide how I want the finished piece to look in regards to handle material, pins, how the front side of the handle rounds over, how I want the handle to feel in my hand, etc.

In fabrication, I turn blocks of material such as G10, Micarta and wood into knife handles.

I also PROCURE all the parts needed to do so: blade, handle material, pins, adhesive, etc.

No where in that quote does he say he 'grinds' blades.

"Modify"- can relate to the addition of jimping or filework to a premade blade.
"Shape"- refers to handle construction.
"Fit, Finish, Assemble"- Obvious.

Basically, he took the LOOOOONG scenic route around telling that he makes kit knives, without stating this directly. Yet, leaves us to assume he grinds his own blades due to other wording on his site.

I'm sorry, but even though I am a rank amateur at this hobby, I can still pick out production blades from hand ground pieces....mainly because I look at them DAILY and the designs are imprinted into my mind.

Do yourself a favor, tell people the truth. Tell folks that you take quality, premanufactured blades and create finished knives. I do...and it works well for me. I have no website nor any sort of advertising short of word of mouth and I've already made and sold 7 knives, with several more in the works. Albeit, my prices are a fair amount lower than yours, but I know that I don't have to take the blade grinding into account.

I don't know what he does or how he does it and don't really care, but what gets me is when guys come in with an attitude.

Dave

If you made that knife out of $3. of good steel you would at least been able to use the sawzall blade for what it was designed for.

I think the OP has obviously left this thread. I think his hit 'em and run tactics here caused such a mass pilgrimage to his website that he is now too busy taking orders to reply to anyone. Give him time to catch up guys:thumbup:

I think the OP has obviously left this thread. I think his hit 'em and run tactics here caused such a mass pilgrimage to his website that he is now too busy taking orders to reply to anyone. Give him time to catch up guys:thumbup:

Haha, I ordered 3 and got one free (had to pay extra shipping though):D

Sorry I have been remiss in keeping up with this forum. I am on my way back from a motorcycle trip to Big Bend - no internet out there (what a great place)! I am still waiting for someone to address what I posted previously: "Thank you for your comments. I think we all know that what a knife is made of is of little importance compared to the hand that holds it. There are a few guys that can do almost anything with a sharp stick and an entire herd of guys who have trouble sharpening a pencil with the finest knife ever made;-)"

I did not think my post was that provocative but I was wrong. My not so humble opinions offended many of you and that was not my intention. My intention was to demonstrate how easy it is to make a knife. Not the best knife but a knife that will work and perform better than many expensive and complex knives - I achieved my objective.

Thank you all for your comments, doubts, criticism and discussion. Keep it rolling!

ps The Baby Chisos in the picture was made (easily) from the sawzall blade in the photograph. The only photoshopping of my photographs is the Bush Monkey mark on the blade, which is laser engraved and does not photograph well (for some reason).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back