Game of Thrones

I was going to read the books, but after how bad this ended, my interest in even starting the books is gone, no matter how good they are.

The series isn't finished in the books, and I will put a money wager down, it will never be finished. RR Martin is a fat rich man now because of the show, and he has no motivation to write anymore.

I always make an effort to put a TV/movie and the books they were based on in two different boxes and judge them individually. If you enjoyed the show at all, I would recommend reconsidering as they are enough of the same that'll it will be familiarly enjoyable, yet different enough that it may feel like a new story. Especially with all the stuff that was left out of the show.

I always make an effort to put a TV/movie and the books they were based on in two different boxes and judge them individually. If you enjoyed the show at all, I would recommend reconsidering as they are enough of the same that'll it will be familiarly enjoyable, yet different enough that it may feel like a new story. Especially with all the stuff that was left out of the show.

True, and I'll be honest. I am frustrated enough about how bad it got, and add in I have no faith that Martin will actually finish the books, I don't see myself reading them now.

I am aware how petty that sounds, but at least it's honest.

I preface this post by stating that I found the series finale, as I had already stated after it originally aired on Sunday as a "dud" bit if the word seems to strong based on emotions, terms that as anti-climatic would still be kind. Over all, I found the final season as both lazily marshaled and then rushed to conclusion (if that makes sense?!). I usually watch an episode at least twice but was so disappointed in the final episode, not necessarily the ending though, that I refined from watching it, not that I am bitter but IMO there are other better shows to watch.

Then I cast my mind back at every season's ending which by and large were almost always anti-climatic (except the death of Jon Stone before resurrection) that I had just thought was really par for the course and to have been expected from this crew. Unfortunately this is just so typical of an epic long running TV series as they become a final disappointment due to their long running successes. The joy of the show (I never knew about the books before the show) was the acting of its earlier older actors and their performances but we kept losing them as the show progressed and this is not to be dismissed lightly (Ned, Tywin, Last Olena, High Septor, Little Finger, Kat Stark, Black Fish etc... lost a lot of great mature actors!). I guess that in the 2 dimensional books it doesn't matter but in a show of this magnitude it absolutely will affect things. Although quite a few older characters were left, I felt that the youngsters didn't manage to pull it off. I am not making excuses for the writers and the directors, producers but I just don't think that the youngsters acted as well as those well established classically trained and theatrically honed British actors! I think that the chemistry between Dany and Jon was absolutely crap for instance although I think that Emilia Clarke did a pretty good job pretending. Gosh, if they had gotten rid of Peter Dinklage early, the season ma have just ended there.

In closing, they did tie things up a little without going into much details as to why and WTF. I can live with that because I am not an emotional millennial whose life depends on this nerdy stuff. It was time to move the fudge on but it went out with a whimper and not a bang. I will watch the entire series again though, there were many many more brighter spots than the duds ;)

I preface this post by stating that I found the series finale, as I had already stated after it originally aired on Sunday as a "dud" bit if the word seems to strong based on emotions, terms that as anti-climatic would still be kind. Over all, I found the final season as both lazily marshaled and then rushed to conclusion (if that makes sense?!). I usually watch an episode at least twice but was so disappointed in the final episode, not necessarily the ending though, that I refined from watching it, not that I am bitter but IMO there are other better shows to watch.

Then I cast my mind back at every season's ending which by and large were almost always anti-climatic (except the death of Jon Stone before resurrection) that I had just thought was really par for the course and to have been expected from this crew. Unfortunately this is just so typical of an epic long running TV series as they become a final disappointment due to their long running successes. The joy of the show (I never knew about the books before the show) was the acting of its earlier older actors and their performances but we kept losing them as the show progressed and this is not to be dismissed lightly (Ned, Tywin, Last Olena, High Septor, Little Finger, Kat Stark, Black Fish etc... lost a lot of great mature actors!). I guess that in the 2 dimensional books it doesn't matter but in a show of this magnitude it absolutely will affect things. Although quite a few older characters were left, I felt that the youngsters didn't manage to pull it off. I am not making excuses for the writers and the directors, producers but I just don't think that the youngsters acted as well as those well established classically trained and theatrically honed British actors! I think that the chemistry between Dany and Jon was absolutely crap for instance although I think that Emilia Clarke did a pretty good job pretending. Gosh, if they had gotten rid of Peter Dinklage early, the season ma have just ended there.

In closing, they did tie things up a little without going into much details as to why and WTF. I can live with that because I am not an emotional millennial whose life depends on this nerdy stuff. It was time to move the fudge on but it went out with a whimper and not a bang. I will watch the entire series again though, there were many many more brighter spots than the duds ;)

I blame every folly, from the questionable writing and rushed plots and time line (heres looking at you wight extraction from beyond the wall) to the Dragon Queen administration's and Army of the Living's strategic and tactical missteps and everything in between to one single incident from a few seasons back.

The premature death of Sir Barristan The Bold.
The greatest swordsman of the Seven Kingdoms gets slain in an alley by some no name bitches of the harpy. Ugh. I enjoyed the scene as it was nice to see him paint and carve up 10-15 chumps a third of his age like they were cake, but damn. Great character with a great story arc and they then just insert the guess I'll die meme and he's gone.

Then again, maybe it was perfect and was the initial catalyst to Dany's eventual slide to being a mad queen. She heeds her councillors yet I think she trusted his, not more so than others, but in different fatherly fashion because of his relationship with her brother and his experience in the Kingsguard. He may have been the one to hone her good side and not let her slip. Next to Drogo, his was the next death to affect her greatly.

I also like to think that his mind for battle would have allowed them to make some different moves and change the course of her conquest.
All moot now.

I enjoyed the series as a whole, late blooming warts and all.

Last edited:
I liked the way the Stark family played out.

Didn't much care for the whole mad queen danny thing. If you wanted her dead, just put one of those big bolts through her instead of the other dragon. Shock value off the charts.

But then Jon would be king and he didn't want that.

Two dragons would have been cool for the new king though. We'll just have to settle for Bran spending his days flying Drogon around the world.

Oh, and a special place in hell for Arya's hairdresser.

Back