Gayle Bradley Hard Use

Andrew - I don't recall if it was you that I already asked, but do you find the liner lock difficult to disengage because there is no cutout in the scale?

thx

I don't mean to butt in but I don't - I'm a righty and I can operate the knife one handed quite easily. It can wear on your thumb if you open/close it dozens of times at a sitting though . . .

Andrew - I don't recall if it was you that I already asked, but do you find the liner lock difficult to disengage because there is no cutout in the scale?

thx

Last edited:
You really need to flip it open once to appreciate the beautiful F&F. I ended up cutting a total of 70+ CAT5 & CAT3 cables. My technique was straight forward: I bundled up the cables in groups of 5 and would fold them twice in opposite directions to create a kink, then the GB would come in and with a little pressure and a slight angle they were cut.
I could have used some "butter cutters" but I felt that I had an appropriate tool for the job. Blade is still sharp, no chips/nicks, nothing. I highly recommend it.:cool:

CPM4 is meant for cutting steel...so cutting copper seems not so bad?

Last edited:

thx

I'm lefty/semi-ambi and have no trouble with either hand.

Some more "hard use" photos......

I'm a hobbiest blacksmith, and now and then make a knife. To start my forge I have to split out some kindling. Today I used my GB. I have to say that compared to cutting up the electrical tape, splitting out kindling was a piece of cake for this knife!

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Andy

The blade looks excellent for hard use, but I wish the handle was designed for hard use as well. The handle lacks the ergonomics that stop your fingers from sliding forward.

The blade looks excellent for hard use, but I wish the handle was designed for hard use as well. The handle lacks the ergonomics that stop your fingers from sliding forward.

I guess it's all in how you use it, your technique. I haven't yet felt like the handle was a problem during use.

I don't use it for poking or stabbing things, so.... not an issue for me, I guess.

Andy

Actually, Pete, the looks are deceiving. As you hold the knife with your thumb on the ramp, pressure on the thumb ramp serves to naturally pull your index finger away from the ricasso. It is really a very clever and ergonomic design.

Thanks for your excellent posts, Andy. After looking at them, I want to get a second GB. ;)

I bought the GB from the SFO a few days before Christmas, and DAMN! I've been carrying it ever since, except for about a week where my Korth jumped into my pocket.

I wanted to see how long it'd take with a little above normal use to dull this blade. I sharpened it two days ago for the first time. I had a minor chip in the belly, but that's my fault. I was using it to wiggle out copper staples out of a box for a friend. The chip is very minor and will never make a difference except that it bugs the hell out of me. I used my old Smith Tri-stone to sharpen it, mainly to get more learning time on the flat stones, then I tossed it on my fine ceramic rods, and finally stopped it with Chromium Oxide. I've got some bald spots on my leg hair now.

CPM-M4 is awesome stuff!

I just got mine today, first impression was wow...it's a tank and on the heavy side but ok to me, it rides well in the pocket. The knife is flawless, this is a first for me, I can't nit pick anything as far as manufacturing goes....amazing.

The edge was 40 degrees aprox. I broke out my DTM diamond bench stone and reprofiled to 20 inclusive, the task took a bit longer than s30v and some wire edge formed but very little. I finished the edge with 2000g sand paper on glass, and some stroping.

This is the sharpest edge I've ever been able to form, It tree tops my arm hairs so easily its scary which I can just barely get a s30v blade to do( it will bite the odd hair with multiple try's).

Love this knife, manufacturer and steel.

...couple things I would have preferred, a slightly positive blade angle(mili) and drilled liners.

Yes you did, and yes I do, if wearing gloves.

Andy

Interesting I found the just the opposite. I find the GB to be much easier to operate with gloves on, using leather rigging or std gardening gloves. Although the HD type chemical resistant gloves and welding gloves will be a problem.

I had similar thoughts at first about the shallow finger choil, now after a few weeks of use gladly those worries were unfounded. I would have preferred a more prominent busk at the end of handle though, I have grown used this on my other knives and it provides great grip security.

Bo

Last edited:
I've been using my GB as my work knife for the last few days, and I have to say that while it isn't as easy to close as my MUDD, it is as easy to open wearing gloves. It's really growing on me. I like the big handle of the MUDD and its ease of operation, but man that M4 is tough to beat.

Andy

So Andy, what your saying is, the Bradley's not just another pretty face/ knife.
It's a darn good worker as well. Good stuff
smile_rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif

If one of you happy owners could post a pic of the tip, to show how thin/stout it is, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

I've been so impressed with the Gayle Bradley, I just ordered and will be receiving soon, another one.

This is one incredible knife! It reminds me of a slimmer version of the Mini Manix. just as stout and built like a tank.

I honestly cannot believe this knife cost me $125.00 delivered, with M4 steel, a great design, CF and a liner lock that locks up solid/true and secure.

Spyderco has an ultimate winner in this Gayle Bradley collaboration. :thumbup:

I feel the same way. I bought a second myself and have carried one for two week straight now. And I don;t have any immediate urge to change EDC's at the moment either.

I've been so impressed with the Gayle Bradley, I just ordered and will be receiving soon, another one.

This is one incredible knife! It reminds me of a slimmer version of the Mini Manix. just as stout and built like a tank.

I honestly cannot believe this knife cost me $125.00 delivered, with M4 steel, a great design, CF and a liner lock that locks up solid/true and secure.

I couldn't agree more, and I did the same. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back