Gayle Bradley Hard Use

If one of you happy owners could post a pic of the tip, to show how thin/stout it is, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Here are some quick shots from my office just now. The comparisons are against the Becker Necker and BM 556. Note that the GB has a swedge on the top of the blade and looking at the GB next to the BM the GB blade stock looks a tiny bit thicker. Photo quality is not great: (lanyard on the GB courtesy of Josh K)

DSC03878.jpg

DSC03869.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03861.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

Last edited:
Fellas, I agree with you all, great knife!
I was wondering where you position your grip/hands?
With the shallow choil, I'm hesitant to grip forward on the handle,as a result, my grip is back further than I'm used too. Whereas with my Stretch the hand naturally fits in position.

With the shallow choil, I'm hesitant to grip forward on the handle,as a result, my grip is back further than I'm used too. Whereas with my Stretch the hand naturally fits in position.

I just grip it and rip it! I haven't felt insecure with the handle shape at all, though a little deeper choil might be a nice thing. Seriously though, I don't give it a thought.

Andy

For me it's index finger in the front choil and the middle finger in the second indent back. Just like your hand falls into it. The balance point is at the middle finger in the second indent from the blade.

Ok boys, thanks for your grips :p I will force myself to ZEN my grip.
First 5 min after I recived my Bradley, I cut my self pretty darn good.
Since then the ole guys a bit skittish..

ps love the pic's Reeek

Ok boys, thanks for your grips :p I will force myself to ZEN my grip.
First 5 min after I recived my Bradley, I cut my self pretty darn good.
Since then the ole guys a bit skittish..

ps love the pic's Reeek

dc50, you might have noticed the lanyard with the knots and beads on my GB. That lanyard is there for two reason; first, to help in extracting the knife from my pocket when wearing gloves, and second, I fold that lanyard up and put it between my pinky and ring fingers while using the knife.

Pull the lanyard tightly through those two fingers. It will seat the knife in your hand, and when you grip the handle, your fingers will grip the lanyard and aid in keeping it from shifting.

Hope this helps.

Andy

dc50, you might have noticed the lanyard with the knots and beads on my GB. That lanyard is there for two reason; first, to help in extracting the knife from my pocket when wearing gloves, and second, I fold that lanyard up and put it between my pinky and ring fingers while using the knife.

Pull the lanyard tightly through those two fingers. It will seat the knife in your hand, and when you grip the handle, your fingers will grip the lanyard and aid in keeping it from shifting.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Andy, I will do that! When I get home today, funny thing I took the Lanyards off all my folders last month.
This will be one that is for actual use, good stuff.
Dave

So, the continuing use of my Spyderco Gayle Bradley hard use folder, with M4 steel.

It has become necessary to replace the fiberglass tub in our bathroom. The fiberglass cracked right at the drain, and began to leak. To get the tub out, I had to cut through the fiberglass around the drain.

This required that I put a lot of pressure on the tip to force it through the fiberglass, over and over. I used the blade to pry up on the cut lip to separate the drain from the rest of the tub.

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

I also used it to pry carpet pad staples out of the floor, which very slightly chipped the edge.
IMG_5404.jpg

Even after shoving it repeatedly through the fiberglass of the tub, and prying out staples, all it needed was a few passes on my ceramic rod to bring it back to shaving.
IMG_5402.jpg

:thumbup:

Andy

I was leery of the GB but figured the reviews I read about it weren't lies.
This has become my favorite knife I've ever had in my entire freakin' life, and I've had a zillion.
I recently got a ZT 301 and a mini Seb 21 - both are outstanding knives.
The GB found it's home the first time I put it in my hand.
Sounds a bit silly, but it is what it is.
I'll still use the small Seb 21 at work since I'm a woodworker. I have bags full of stout, razor sharp tools and don't need anything more than a small knife at work.
After work it's the GB for sure.
I'm debating ordering a couple more just in case mine ever gets stolen or lost and no more GB's are for sale.
Anyone know if there are any more GB/Spyderco packages coming down the pipe?

Sal posted today at SF that there are prototypes under consideration but nothing anytime soon.

I was leery of the GB but figured the reviews I read about it weren't lies.
This has become my favorite knife I've ever had in my entire freakin' life, and I've had a zillion.
I recently got a ZT 301 and a mini Seb 21 - both are outstanding knives.
The GB found it's home the first time I put it in my hand.
Sounds a bit silly, but it is what it is.
I'll still use the small Seb 21 at work since I'm a woodworker. I have bags full of stout, razor sharp tools and don't need anything more than a small knife at work.
After work it's the GB for sure.
I'm debating ordering a couple more just in case mine ever gets stolen or lost and no more GB's are for sale.
Anyone know if there are any more GB/Spyderco packages coming down the pipe?

how has the M4 steel held up to corrosion so far? it is good to hear that your GB is still going strong! :thumbup:

how has the M4 steel held up to corrosion so far? it is good to hear that your GB is still going strong! :thumbup:

I’ve got some slight darkening in some places from tree sap that I wasn’t able to properly get off the blade for a couple hours. Other then that nothing much.

I'm another Gayle Bradley fan and it is my favourite EDC. I like it so much i bought a another as a back up. I'm selling off some other Spydies I don't use as much. The lock on the GB is very solid. I find it very easy to sharpen as well...

Ed

Dirty.jpg

Gayle Bradley's are meant to get dirty !
This is a hardchore workhorse !!!

Cheers
Nemo

Last edited:
Doesn't the lack of a sizable finger choil pose a danger of your hand sliding of the handle onto the blade in hard cuts?

Doesn't the lack of a sizable finger choil pose a danger of your hand sliding of the handle onto the blade in hard cuts?

The only time pressure towards the tip of the blade is necessary is when stabbing, which I would never do with a work knife of this sort, or when having to push the tip through a hard material, like I did with the fiberglass tub in an earlier pic.

I normally wear gloves when doing this kind of work, first. Second, I use the lanyard to lock the handle into my hand. Third, I use two hands, not just one. Fourth, I put the butt of the knife into the palm of one hand to put pressure on the point, and put the other hand on the back of the handle, so neither hand is really positioned to be able to slide onto the blade.

If I tried to push the knife point first into a tough substance one handed, I would have some concerns about the knife slipping, but that would be true with most of my knives.

Andy

Great thread Andy! Keep us updated on all the chores you put the Bradley through. I just started carrying mine and I'm very impressed as well.

Today was the first day that I've used my Bradley at work.
I almost dropped a really expensive blade in the bay last Friday and figured I'd better go with a blade that isn't so freakin' expensive to replace should it take a swim.
So... my Bradley easily outperformed my $330 knife that I'd been using at work.
Easily outperformed. Did I say easily? In case you didn't read it correctly it EASILY outperformed my zillion dollar knife.
All I have to say is, "Wow".
I used 'er pretty hard. Cuts lots of wood (chopped and sliced), did very detailed fine tape cuts for caulking lines, cut some very heavy duty plastic tubing, sliced a bit of cardboard and cut some rope. I've had no issues with the liner lock. It unlocks quite easily for me.
Some knives almost seem like you have to coax 'em to cut, the G.B. seems to say "Gimme dat!"
It's the best cutter I've used so far.
:thumbup:
(Tips hat to the Spyderco folks)

Back