Gayle Bradley Hard Use

This is an awesome thread; especially since it is a few years old and the GB is still taking it.

Andrew Colglazier can you post some pictures of how your knife looks now (like the pictures in your first post)? Would greatly appreciate it.

I'll see what I can do. Most recently I've been using it to trim sheet rock back from around rough openings before nailing up molding. I was using a knife with 440C steel, but it couldn't keep an edge, so out came the GB again. Just keeps cutting and cutting!

Andy

Thanks very much. :D

So here you go!

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

Andy

how is the lock feeling? you feel like its smooth and broken in now? any problems with major chipping on the blade? also looks like gayle bradleys logo has been rubbed off??

i am close to buying one...

how is the lock feeling? you feel like its smooth and broken in now? any problems with major chipping on the blade? also looks like gayle bradleys logo has been rubbed off??

i am close to buying one...

The lock feels fine. This knife has been used hard, I have put a lot of pressure on the blade while cutting at various times. The only issue with the lock is that the liner is sometimes hard to disengage. Otherwise, no blade play and it is as smooth as the day I bought it.

The blade did chip. I chipped the blade using it to pry carpet staples out of decking. If I had used proper technique, no damage would have occurred, but oh well. Even chipped, the knife still sharpened up very nicely and I noticed no loss of cutting performance unless I did something useless like slice paper. Since then the chips have sharpened out.

I bought this knife before Spyderco started selling them with the Gayle-Bradley logo.

Andy

Here is my GB and contribution to the thread for the time being

[video=youtube;mh27qO9UyiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh27qO9UyiQ[/video]

She is getting a bit of a patina. Been hot and humid the past few days.

Last edited:
Since we're showing off used GB's, here is my old one. No forced patina, just exposure to lots of heat and humidity around here.

gbold1.jpg

gbold2.jpg

Here is my GB and contribution to the thread for the time being

[video=youtube;mh27qO9UyiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh27qO9UyiQ[/video]

She is getting a bit of a patina. Been hot and humid the past few days.

Good video. I found the first portion where you cut through that PVC(?) Pipe, in particular, to be very interesting. I think you end up putting "closing pressure" on the knife during that process, which shows just how important a good lock can be. I'd be curious to see how a slip-joint would hold up in that cutting scenario. I'd be curious about Sal's opinion on that video. Quite a tough little knife.

the carbon fiber and steel is so good that i frequently force myself to get over my dislike of choils. It is an outstanding design. Hopefully there will be many gayle bradley designs to come.

Good video. I found the first portion where you cut through that PVC(?) Pipe, in particular, to be very interesting. I think you end up putting "closing pressure" on the knife during that process, which shows just how important a good lock can be. I'd be curious to see how a slip-joint would hold up in that cutting scenario. I'd be curious about Sal's opinion on that video. Quite a tough little knife.

I have done the same work with a slipjoint, the biggest threat of closure is when piercing through the pipe (the first pipe is a 1cm hard rubber/plastic type, easy to cut if laying in the sun, not the case here so it turned out to be quite hard). I bear down on the knife in such a way as to always have the pressure on the stop pin and stay aware of how I apply pressure.

However, thinking about it I can understand how someone could easily apply closing pressure on a knife while doing this if not careful.

I would love to hear Sal's thoughts on the matter if he has any.

I have done the same work with a slipjoint, the biggest threat of closure is when piercing through the pipe (the first pipe is a 1cm hard rubber/plastic type, easy to cut if laying in the sun, not the case here so it turned out to be quite hard). I bear down on the knife in such a way as to always have the pressure on the stop pin and stay aware of how I apply pressure.

However, thinking about it I can understand how someone could easily apply closing pressure on a knife while doing this if not careful.

I would love to hear Sal's thoughts on the matter if he has any.

It just looks as though you're using the tip, against the opposite side of the tube, like a lever and pressing down on the material you're cutting which would tend to create closing force, rather than pressure on the stop pin, but it sounds like you were careful to avoid that...

i took my pocket clip off my brand spankin new bradley out of the box, and broke a friggin screw head, anybody know how to get a new one, i heard spyderco doesn't stock these items in golden??

It just looks as though you're using the tip, against the opposite side of the tube, like a lever and pressing down on the material you're cutting which would tend to create closing force, rather than pressure on the stop pin, but it sounds like you were careful to avoid that...

I will do a video with my SAK today, hopefully I can still find some of the same pipe for you. I use the same technique, maybe we can see what is going on.

[video=youtube_share;MG6sLWsLB3o]http://youtu.be/MG6sLWsLB3o[/video]

Sorry for the low quality, dont know what happened.

It's great to see a knife used hard, but not abused.

Quick request: There is another thread here about hard use with a Para 2. ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...use-who-has-hard-use-stories-about-the-Para-2 ).

I currently own a Para 1, and while I think that it is a great slicer, I do not believe that it would be able to stand up to the kind of use the GB has seen in this thread. I am thinking of picking up the GB but I am a curious about the size difference with respect to the blade. I prefer smaller blades in the 3" range.

Could someone post a comparison pic of the GB with a Para 1, delica, or similar sized 3" blade? I would like to judge how much bigger the GB is in relation. Or, if that is not possible, could someone recommend a spyderco model that is around 3" that would withstand the hard use that the GB has endured here?

Thanks.

Back