GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Surprisingly, the only thread I could find specifically about the 68 White Owl only has 11 posts and no pictures. What the heck is up with that!? There's gotta be one somewhere.

Thanks Rick! I found two that have been decimated by the photoshop fiasco!! I'll wait a little longer, then maybe start a new one - unless someone beats me to it!!:rolleyes: (fine with me!)

No cryptic clue, Colin. I got out my small collection of #68s to compare to the bigger-brother #35s, and thought it would be entertaining to post them.
Anyone recall the name of a thread for #68s??
I guess I could start a new one, but it is better to add to an existing one IMO.

I dunno, Charlie. I’m going to stick with my instincts here. ;)

.....i can report that I decided to force patina by cutting lemons and leaving the Clip blade in an apple overnight. Not repeating that mistake again:( yes it took on colour and it took on a nasty deep pit as well that can't be removed. Very surprised by this reaction-not happened before.
Yikes!! Makes you wonder what you're eating, don't it?!:(

I was late discovering the 68's and missed the Buckaroo and White Owl.
The 68 Buckaroo or a White Owl with a sheepsfoot has been on my wish list since 2013.
Now that I have a pair of 35's I've taken the 68's off my wish list.
The extra 1/4 inch fits better in hand, plus the blade combination I've been looking for.
I am going to pass on the next run of 68's.
Maybe I'll look at a Buckaroo ;)
ReNgCiH.jpg

I don't think they ever made the #66 or #68 with a sheepfoot in a jack or pen configuration, only the stockman 3-blades.

My Black Ebony Arrived and my plan was to make it a user but I like it so much it might be a tube queen and fondler lol .
Super black Matching Ebony covers.
Nice snap on both blades and fit and finish is really nice on this one.
BM3juKy.jpg
8JH6i98.jpg
MHPsMRy.jpg
Nice score on that Ebony. I recently got one myself and it has the best snap on both blades among the four Churchills I've acquired so far. Snap is on par with what I'm used to seeing from GEC in the past although it's not a nailbreaker.

Nice score on that Ebony. I recently got one myself and it has the best snap on both blades among the four Churchills I've acquired so far. Snap is on par with what I'm used to seeing from GEC in the past although it's not a nailbreaker.
Thanks !
Couldn't agree more it really does have a nice snap and to me the perfect pull :thumbsup:
Really looking forward to the Yellow Rose addition to arrive in a day or so.

I'm finding it interesting who buys which ones and in what order. Also how long it takes before breaking down to buy another one.

My Stag should be here in a day or two, joining my Yellow Rose.

I'm finding it interesting who buys which ones and in what order. Also how long it takes before breaking down to buy another one.

My Stag should be here in a day or two, joining my Yellow Rose.
LOL. I've got number five on the way. Took me all of 4 days to break down.
I just posted a few days ago that my most recent Churchill purchase would probably be my last. That still might hold true but I'm already thinking about getting one more.

I've fallen for the pattern too and somehow four of them just doesn't seem like enough. I need to take a group photo but I'm holding off in case there's a fifth one to include.

I just tried to head off to work, and leave my ebony Churchill behind. Couldn't do it!

I'll just carry 3 knives today. Not weird at all.

I know I'll probably end up with the CC bone and maroon micarta. I have been hit by regret with GEC buying before, and have started taking pains to avoid future disappointment. Smiley face.

Plus, as long as I don't have as many as Railsplitter, I figure I have "the sickness" under control, haha, winkey face.

Thanks !
Couldn't agree more it really does have a nice snap and to me the perfect pull :thumbsup:...
The jet black ebony I just received also has near perfect pull and good snap on both blades.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great size, useful blade combo, super looks, what's not to like? ;)
Fast becoming one of my favorite GEC patterns, couldn't be happier!

azfw39M.jpg

My ebony arrived yesterday, and I absolutely love this knife. Its the perfect size and blade combination. The blades don't rub on mine, nestled into their positions with precision. The snap on these is pretty darn good. The ebony has a decent amount of brown showing through, which I don't mind. It does, however, have me trying to justify ordering another to try and get one that is jet black, as others have said they are.

And I've heard much mention about the name, Churchill, in relation to the cigar shape, but what of the man himself? A stout underdog, up to the task at hand. A very fitting name indeed. The whole package conjures up images and feelings of nostalgia and history.

I'm very happy with this, and will try to get some good pictures. My only wish for anything different (and this is very minor), would be to replace the nickel with steel. Sometimes the nickel has a yellowish tint to it that I don't care for. Also, it would be nice for patina to develop on the bolsters to match the blades. All in all, I hope they do another run.

The ebony has a decent amount of brown showing through, which I don't mind. It does, however, have me trying to justify ordering another to try and get one that is jet black, as others have said they are.

There are a few dealers that provide individual pics so that you can see both sides of the actual knife before buying. I did that with my Ebony Churchill and it worked out great.

There are a few dealers that provide individual pics so that you can see both sides of the actual knife before buying. I did that with my Ebony Churchill and it worked out great.
I bought from such a dealer. The brow is very subtle, and it's possible it didn't pick up in the photographs, or I just missed it. Don't get me wrong, I love it.

Being able to see each one before purchase is good. But generally those that can show each one have a limited stock, as they order a handful as opposed to a few dozen. An equally good idea is to just put in the order notes that you want a pitch black one - fill or kill. That way your pick will come from a larger sampling and an eye seeing it in hand.

Back