GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Aug 17, 2017.

1. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Thank you for the kind words Will, I certainly appreciate it. It can certainly be recovered easily enough, but I’m with others in thinking it looks pretty good, the color is good, and at first glance it didn’t look like anything had been done to the jigging. On the other hand I know that gnawing feeling of what you perceive as a mistake whether anyone else would ever notice it or not.

Will Power and solphilos like this.
  2. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Exactly, and its that's gnawing feeling that keeps me from carrying this one. Its perfectly functional and would serve its purpose just fine, but I can't help but to focus on those perceived mistakes. I'm glad to have your input, as I'll likely be in contact with you if I decide to have it recovered, if your willing.

3. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    This knife is such a good user, with natural materials the covers will change and mature over time. I personally like that.
    New
    [​IMG]
    Now with the Sarge in process
    [​IMG]

4. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Honestly, I'd carry that one with pride in a heart beat. No one is more critical of me than me so I know where your coming from, but I think it looks pretty darn good:thumbsup:

5. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks friend, maybe I'll drop this one in my pocket tomorrow morning :thumbsup:
    I do like the red after all

Gevonovich and knowtracks like this.
  6. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Oh, yayyyy! It worked! I'm so glad you found yours, Will! I'm also glad to see that the sheepsfoot rubbed off on you... Pays great dividends in the handling on that frame

Will Power likes this.
  7. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Some better pics of my newest 35 :thumbsup:

20190802_122446-1080x1080.jpg
    20190802_122548-1080x1080.jpg

Onearmbladenut, GE Jr, HST and 14 others like this.
  8. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    IMG_20200103_083134-3024x2268.jpg

Been putting this one off long enough (~2 years). Could never quite get this one out of my head. Finally got one just as I wanted and into the pocket it went. Let's see how this goes....

9. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    image.jpg One of Mikes culled stags, some others have pointed it out but I think this one of gecs underrated products. image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I think you'll be happy. It is scientifically one of the best patterns ever to come out of GEC's factory.

Culled or not, it's seriously cool. How long has that patina been cooking?

willard0341, Jathes and untytled like this.
  11. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    willard0341 and untytled like this.
  12. willard0341

Dec 18, 2013
    No worries on cutting a steak or an orange with that one lol. Thanks for the kind comment Ode

JTB_5 likes this.
  13. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    The 35s are alright with me... and I do mean "ALL" right. I like everything about them; blades, size, pattern, nail nicks, pull, materials... just everything.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]
    Really happy to have these! :D

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's a remarkable pattern, broad handles allow for in hand comfort, yet it's far from a deadweight in the pocket.

I'd like to see some other variants on it in the future like Spear/Small Clip or Spear/Small Hawkbill Pruner would be supreme.

Here's mine again, I like Cougar

[​IMG]

GE Jr, peanutsxx, knowtracks and 7 others like this.
  15. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    New pics of my Stag; An Equal-End pattern is one of the oldest patterns in Folding Cutlery!!
    Handled in that big-channel Stag, and on a single Spring, it's the perfect combination of primitive and efficient design to be Beautiful in my eye!!:cool:
    Stag darkened 1.jpg Stag darkened 2.jpg

16. willard0341

Dec 18, 2013
    Not too long after I got it, I took it on the boat with me and used it as cutlery, after getting steak sauce and partially darkening the main blade I just decided to do the whole thing. The crew was looking at me strange (what’s new) for sticking it in meat that was being cooked. Who knows I may polish it back up, its about having fun. Thanks for asking Ode

r8shell likes this.
  17. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Charlie, that stag looks like it came off an old mount that hung over a fireplace for many years, becoming stained by the smoke. Absolutely stunning:thumbsup::thumbsup:

waynorth likes this.
  18. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Pull out your Churchills! Today it is the 55th death anniversary of the British Bulldog.

[​IMG]

nemrac72k, TFBraden, Jathes and 10 others like this.
  19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The #35 Churchill is one of my favorite patterns. In honor of the namesake for this delightful pattern here is a couple of mine! :) First up is one of Mike’s cull Sambar Stags. It’s my most carried #35. Second up is my rarest #35. It’s a 2018 Rendezvous Special in Emerald Green. One of twelve! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  20. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    @Half/Stop Both are lookers, but that emerald is out of this world!