GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

o4ICHJT.jpg

Weeks worth of carry. Some patina happening on both blades. Haven't used it to cut any fruits or veggies. I want it to devolop a natural patina, I'm not gonna force one. Also, the covers have mellowed out a bit, loosing some of the black showing more of the red. Still extremely hard to capture in a picture.

I have a good patina going on the 77 main blade, and it has become pinchable. I haven't dropped the secondary kick, and it's much easier to just use the pull, but with good dexterity, the main has become pinchable with patina.

Attachments

• IMG_20180428_144855.jpg
    IMG_20180428_144855.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 28
I want it to devolop a natural patina, I'm not gonna force one.

I went the other way today. The weather forcast for late next week is up into the 80’s, which is the rust DANGER ZONE in my area. So I kicked back while grilling dinner this evening, a forced a bit of a patina on my ironwood. It still needs a bit more, but it’s enough to help protect it a bit for now.

wJdOuoLh.jpg

4iEGr8ah.jpg

Last edited:
I’m still blown away as to how the pull feels on my micarta . I can’t even rate it except maybe it’s perfect on my scale . Not to strong but opens with ease yet feels locked in when when opened .
Man I love this knife !! Even the pins are nestled in nice and matching on each side .
Think I’ll just enjoy it’s beauty and craftsmanship with my favorite cool beverage and try to rate its pull from 1 to 10 :D So far I’ve opened two envelopes and a bag of rice lol .
CSH31vV.jpg

I’m still blown away as to how the pull feels on my micarta . I can’t even rate it except maybe it’s perfect on my scale . Not to strong but opens with ease yet feels locked in when when opened .
Man I love this knife !! Even the pins are nestled in nice and matching on each side .
Think I’ll just enjoy it’s beauty and craftsmanship with my favorite cool beverage and try to rate its pull from 1 to 10 :D So far I’ve opened two envelopes and a bag of rice lol .
CSH31vV.jpg

If the knives that I’ve handled from this run are representative, the micartas are probably the strongest in terms of pull. The pulls on the main blades of all four colors are quite good, but the secondaries on the micartas are very strong and snappy after a bit of cleaning and use.

The pulls really are a slice of heaven. The main blades are strong, but not too strong. Really nice snap. The pulls on the secondaries are more in tune with the size of the blades on this run, in comparison to what I’ve sampled from the 2015 run. Closing can be a tad sluggish on the secondaries, but I think that’s due to the bolsters being a hair tight, and the joints a bit gritty. So they should get even better over time and use. My micarta took no time at all for the secondary to achieve good snap. My ironwood has taken more time, but is almost there. My sawcut is a tougher nut to crack, but it’s still progressing.

If the knives that I’ve handled from this run are representative, the micartas are probably the strongest in terms of pull. The pulls on the main blades of all four colors are quite good, but the secondaries on the micartas are very strong and snappy after a bit of cleaning and use.

The pulls really are a slice of heaven. The main blades are strong, but not too strong. Really nice snap. The pulls on the secondaries are more in tune with the size of the blades on this run, in comparison to what I’ve sampled from the 2015 run. Closing can be a tad sluggish on the secondaries, but I think that’s due to the bolsters being a hair tight, and the joints a bit gritty. So they should get even better over time and use. My micarta took no time at all for the secondary to achieve good snap. My ironwood has taken more time, but is almost there. My sawcut is a tougher nut to crack, but it’s still progressing.
Both my micarta and saw cut the main blade is perfection on the pull scale and walk and talk . The Secondary on my saw cut is a tad sluggish but haven’t really spent time with except for a quick flushing . My Micarta though suppressingly the secondary is perfection with the lighter blade taken into consideration it still has a nice snap with no drag . If I were to pick one out of a lot this micarta would be the one .

Both my micarta and saw cut the main blade is perfection on the pull scale and walk and talk . The Secondary on my saw cut is a tad sluggish but haven’t really spent time with except for a quick flushing . My Micarta though suppressingly the secondary is perfection with the lighter blade taken into consideration it still has a nice snap with no drag . If I were to pick one out of a lot this micarta would be the one .

The “talk” of the secondary on the micartas is amazing. It wonderfully rings as is snaps into the frame. I can both hear it and feel it. I haven’t been able to get my sawcut nor my ironwood to quite do that. Maybe in time.

The motion of the blades on the micartas is so darned fluid. Like the blades are riding on ball bearings.

The “talk” of the secondary on the micartas is amazing. It wonderfully rings as is snaps into the frame. I can both hear it and feel it. I haven’t been able to get my sawcut nor my ironwood to quite do that. Maybe in time.

The motion of the blades on the micartas is so darned fluid. Like the blades are riding on ball bearings.
Couldn’t agree more from my experience also :thumbsup:

My blades are so centered I couldn’t get them any more centered even if I closed one eye :D
All kidding a side I truly believe this is my all around favorite traditional I’ve ever owned including any customs and that says a lot :thumbsup:
6yoi3Uq.jpg

XSZu12S.jpg

Last edited:
I went the other way today. The weather forcast for late next week is up into the 80’s, which is the rust DANGER ZONE in my area. So I kicked back while grilling dinner this evening, a forced a bit of a patina on my ironwood. It still needs a bit more, but it’s enough to help protect it a bit for now.

wJdOuoLh.jpg

4iEGr8ah.jpg
What's your secret to getting that nice even patina that you consistently achieve Buzz? Looks great!

What's your secret to getting that nice even patina that you consistently achieve Buzz? Looks great!

There's not much to my technique. I clean the knife down with one of those premoistened lens wipes, and then squeeze a lemon to let the juice drip onto the blades. It's not an especially quick process though. I do it over the course of an hour or so, while I drink a couple beers and grill some chicken on the Weber.

Afterward, I clean the knife with Dawn dishwashing liquid in the sink, and then flush it with WD-40.

Buzz I couldn't agree more about the singing qualities of some 77s. It's what I love most about them. I have a Yankee jack in osage that has absolute musical qualities. my four 77 spear coping barlows are like this and it's why I fell in love. I really like the strong snap on them too. I like that almost magnetic connection that the blade has to the springs. I've often wondered what makes great W&T and snap. I've had light pull knives with killer snap and acoustics and dudd nail breakers.

I may be crazy but I think that the knives come with a ton of lube from the factory. To me they always feel lighter at first in terms of pull weight and as I use them the action locks and snaps better as they "dry out" some. I put a tiny drop of oil just on the pivot once a month or so. I don't like my knives excreting oil all the time. I think a lot of the action and W&T comes from the pivot tension. I'd rather have a little wobble and killer action than zero blade play, but from what I've read I'm in the minority.

I enjoy messing with the knives and making them my own. I like the look of the saw cut edges but I LOVE the feel of a rounded smooth butt in hand. I sanded my pinkberry- made a great knife my own and it's even better.

There's not much to my technique. I clean the knife down with one of those premoistened lens wipes, and then squeeze a lemon to let the juice drip onto the blades. It's not an especially quick process though. I do it over the course of an hour or so, while I drink a couple beers and grill some chicken on the Weber.

Afterward, I clean the knife with Dawn dishwashing liquid in the sink, and then flush it with WD-40.
That's what I was doing wrong with lemon....I never left it on long enough. It could use some more time to soak but I have a bday party to attend. Thanks for the tip!20180429_113508.jpg

20180429_113514.jpg

That's what I was doing wrong with lemon....I never left it on long enough. It could use some more time to soak but I have a bday party to attend. Thanks for the tip!View attachment 896534

View attachment 896535

I squeeze a bunch of lemon juice on one side of the blade, making sure to coat all of the steel, including the tang. Then I turn the knife over and do the same to the other side. I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, and then turn it over and squeeze more juice on the top side. I turn the knife every 10 minutes or so, and reapply. Sooner later, it all starts to even out. If not, I just rub it a bit with paper towel, which will remove some of the darker patina. Then back to work with the lemon juice.

Could the same effect be achieved by just sticking the blade of the knife in a lemon for say 20-30 minutes?

Could the same effect be achieved by just sticking the blade of the knife in a lemon for say 20-30 minutes?

I think the patina would be pretty spotty, with all of that meat and pulp in the mix. For a hands off patina, a huge potato might be a better option. I’ve achieved some crazy dark patina from potatoes.

I wish I had thought to take a picture my 54 HJ after cutting lemons for a crawfish boil yesterday. After cutting, I put the knife aside to tend to other stuff. It wasn't long (~25 minutes) before I remembered I hadn't wiped it down and put it back in my pocket. The result wasn't pleasing to chicken-eye. Red rust and shallow etching! :eek: Lemons are very acidic. I knew better, but forgot. Careful out there! :D

Back