GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

So I’m strolling through EvilBay today, and the for-sale and trade forums, like I do every day. I find myself looking at all of the awesome cutlery that I’d normally consider acquiring, but a new problem emerges. I compare all of those amazing knives to this run of 77 Barlows, and they seem to pale in comparison. It’s like I’m totally ruined on new knives right now.

Rz0gf3Ih.jpg

I posted this earlier today in the thread I started about my 77 Barlow adventures but I'll put it here for posterity.

IMG_4316.JPG

This is certainly my favorite Traditional since I started carrying them in earnest last summer. I've always had a slipjoint lurking around the dresser top but my daily carry was always a modern knife. My favorite modern folder is the venerable Benchmade Osborne 940. Obviously two very different knives but the 77 gives me the same sorta feel that the 940 does. Pocket perfection!

I've had this for about a week now, and since the thread title is "GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions", I thought I'd give mine.

The cover choices on this run are all very nice, but saw cut bone just seems to belong on Barlows. I know, it's just my opinion, but I'm an old fart & I'm entitled to one. Mine is an "edc" model & has a very minor flaw in the saw cut pattern on one of the covers. Not a big deal & the "flaw" can only be seen in certain light. I like the red.

I prefer two bladed Barlows & the choice of the clip main, with the match strike pull & sheepsfoot secondary is perfect. Both came sharp, with just the right pull & snap, and are perfectly centered. The springs are flush when open & closed, and all but flush at half stop. I like the 1095 steel. It holds an edge pretty well & is easy to touch up. AND it takes on a nice patina.

So to conclude this very unscientific, purely subjective review: I've been carrying Barlow knives since sometime in the 1950s, and with this one I really can't find anything to gripe about...........and that's saying something!
IMG_0727-X3.jpg

IMG_0746-X3.jpg

Last edited:
FBAD7BC0-B8B1-4050-A02E-F7FB4351B813.jpeg 7F249BAA-5D56-4561-B7AD-EF00A93F41B7.jpeg

Normally I just use my knives but tonight I tried a forced patina. It isn’t very even but that’s ok with me. Now I don’t have to worry about keeping it “nice” and less worry of rusting as the weather grows balmier here in Florida.

I have a question for all you using your new 77s. I got one in micarta, and it's my first 77 barlow. The looks, mechanics, and construction of the knife are fantastic. However, using it is another thing. The sharp edge from the back of the closed blade really digs into my finger if I'm holding it tightly. It bothers me on this knife more than any other, I guess because it sticks out more than others. Does this bother others?

I was hoping for this to be a real user. I don't know how much improvement there would be from sanding those corners down. Makes me nervous thinking about it.

I have a question for all you using your new 77s. I got one in micarta, and it's my first 77 barlow. The looks, mechanics, and construction of the knife are fantastic. However, using it is another thing. The sharp edge from the back of the closed blade really digs into my finger if I'm holding it tightly. It bothers me on this knife more than any other, I guess because it sticks out more than others. Does this bother others?

I was hoping for this to be a real user. I don't know how much improvement there would be from sanding those corners down. Makes me nervous thinking about it.

I'm always on the fence about 2 blade jack knives because of this. I usually prefer pen configurations for multiple blades. I've been using mine and have found that the main blade I don't use for super hard work, at least not yet. I use it to slice stuff up, and I don't have to choke up on the handle so far, or I'm just holding it reverse when I'm using that. The hidden tang of the coping blade makes it easy to choke up on there, and I've used that blade for wood carving. Also, opening and closing seems to knock a little of the edge off the tangs. I have considered hitting mine with some 600 grit paper to smooth them some more. I don't get the same digging on old Schrades or Cases that have the rounded smooth profile tangs.

Back