GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

The elderberry is actually a great color, and I would trust it on the standard cattle bone. 78s and 82s all look good.

The camel bone throws a wrench into the outcome of the dye jobs.

I had just gotten off work when I received the email. I can't use my phone at work so I feel very fortunate about the timing of the email.. Luckily I was able to score a sure on the reservation. I missed out both times on the TC Barlow due to work. Dang it! I will be happy with any scale option, just want to get my hands on one of the spear points. Any idea on when these might be scheduled for production?

The elderberry is actually a great color, and I would trust it on the standard cattle bone. 78s and 82s all look good.

The camel bone throws a wrench into the outcome of the dye jobs.

This is so true. I dyed my NW Michigan in green camel- but it took many, many times to get it to be black. And the bone was mostly white with just green specs. Finally boiling it on the 4th attempt did it.

^ “Excluding Elderberry...” yeah, Elderberry was most certainly NOT red! :) The like/hate of that color was probably more divisive than the 93 Jigged NF Ram Shield placement. There was a precedent set on the nice 78 Elderberry bone color too, so Jolly Rancher strawberry really threw folks for a loop.

All that said, I ended up with one and planned to dye it until it grew on me. Nice to have a splash of color in the mix.

I’m torn on these new 77 covers. Black covers on a Barlow are so dang classy, but sawcut is awesome. I love the way Mike set it up this time with choices. Almost hope a choice or 2 gets made for me! Almost.

I bought two from eBay, I should have kept this one. Very good coloring. The other one not so much.
3CHohOn.jpg

I had just gotten off work when I received the email. I can't use my phone at work so I feel very fortunate about the timing of the email.. Luckily I was able to score a sure on the reservation. I missed out both times on the TC Barlow due to work. Dang it! I will be happy with any scale option, just want to get my hands on one of the spear points. Any idea on when these might be scheduled for production?
They’re working on the bolsters already, so I’d say they are in production now. I think we’ll start to see the slabs for the covers coming through soon on the last run they went through surprisingly fast but also excruciatingly slow, seemed like in the neighborhood of two months probably less. It depends on what else they have going on too though.

I got in on the reserve early, within 90 seconds are so. So I'm very much looking forward to owning some GEC sawcut, finally.

That said, a Blackwood #77 barlow would compliment this year's forum knife very well.

Isn't NS too soft to be used on liners? I understand using brass for its "self-lubricatory" nature or steel for being very durable material. But NS? Isn't blade tang going to dig into the liners pretty fast thus developing side to side play? Can this knife be put to use or is it more of a display piece? Asking for a friend. ;-)

i was at the bar at the time when I received the text. Site server crashed twice but hey single blade spear. win some lose some as Mike said once during a conversation we had on the phone.

The site did not crash while the reservations were open. It was slow at times, quite speedy at others. Also, I don't have the gall to tell someone that missed a reservation "win some/lose some" - my kid must have answered the phone; or maybe you had been at the bar way too long. :D

I figured the whole run of 77CL will be mammoth. So excited for this one! :D

I guarantee that every 77CL produced in this run will be mammoth and priced at $120 for our 15th Anniversary at collectorknives.net.

Isn't NS too soft to be used on liners? I understand using brass for its "self-lubricatory" nature or steel for being very durable material. But NS? Isn't blade tang going to dig into the liners pretty fast thus developing side to side play? Can this knife be put to use or is it more of a display piece? Asking for a friend. ;-)

Been fine for the last few decades - will probably be fine for the next few.

The site did not crash while the reservations were open. It was slow at times, quite speedy at others. Also, I don't have the gall to tell someone that missed a reservation "win some/lose some" - my kid must have answered the phone; or maybe you had been at the bar way too long. :D

this was when I was on the subway deadzone and was disqualified because the phone sent my request twice. I did get something for that run tho. I did end up receiving two standby emails at some point for this go around. Glad everyone got in. I understand that it is just one to a customer this time is that correct Mike?

this was when I was on the subway deadzone and was disqualified because the phone sent my request twice. I did get something for that run tho. I did end up receiving two standby emails at some point for this go around. Glad everyone got in. I understand that it is just one to a customer this time is that correct Mike?

Bummer, I didn't know it was one to a customer. I was hoping to get a couple. Will be very happy to get one, but two would be great.

Nickel silver is basically "white brass". I don't know exactly how it compares to yellow brass (an alloy of copper and zinc) on the hardness scale, but it's not soft like sterling silver.

Nickel silver, Maillechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named due to its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated. Wikipedia

Back