GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

See, thats what I thought. Therefore I don't see the issue here with these barlows being nickle silver.
I'm so excited they could make them out of wood and I'd be all over it.;) JK
Now you got me dreaming about a gabon ebony bolsterless #77 with a Nickel Silver birdseye pivot. Some would call that a shadow pattern. I'd still call it a barlow.

Aren't all the GEC bolsters made from nickel silver?
See, that's what I thought. Therefore I don't see the issue here with these barlows being nickle silver.
I'm so excited they could make them out of wood and I'd be all over it.;) JK

It is not bolsters that I needed clarification on. It was liners specifically I was wondering about. I have so far only seen liners in steel (F&F bullnose, TC barlow) or brass (all the other GECs I own or have handled).

Due to lack of my knowledge I was taking for granted that this run of NF barlows will be all steel. Specifications on ER site therefore took me by surprise and thus I have raised this question. I hope there are also other members that will find it interesting/informative. I have since read the thread about how #15 and #77 barlows compare and have learned that TC started as all steel and NF as all NS. There have been voices asking for all steel NF and they got it in several past runs. Now it is back to NS.

Last edited:
Don't know why I always thought that my GEC 2018 NF Barlow had NS liners. Wrong! They are steel! Ran the magnet test on them. Bolsters are NS of course. Wrong! Steel too. Did the magnet thing on them as well. Anyone else surprised?

Update: The magnet test may have been influenced by the steel in the springs and blade but I'm still asking for some definitive answers here. Just curious

Update #2: Talked with GEC on the phone a few minutes ago. They say the liners and bolsters are Nickel Silver. Guess I should have called them first but was was evidently mislead by how the magnet sure stuck to the bolsters and liners.

58446FEB-0CBC-43B6-ACD0-1FB8EC220F33_zpsiq33rmv5.jpeg

Last edited:
Will the ends of the wood covers have a rounded/radius-ed end or will they be left flat and steep?

For example the 2017 Ebony TC had a rounded over profile on the covers, but the bone did not. I prefer the flat and square butt ends and I have seen this profile on wood covers before.

Jak3 Jak3 : That is very good question. I don't think we can be sure until we get to see some pictures. In my understanding TC barlows have square butts and NF barlows tend to have radiused ends unless having saw cut finish.

Last edited:
Thought the 2016 and 2018 NF Barlows were all steel. Hmm, gonna have to check when I get back home.

Thought the 2016 and 2018 NF Barlows were all steel. Hmm, gonna have to check when I get back home.
Let me if you find out one way or the other. Like I said earlier, I called GEC and talked with a very nice girl who put me on hold and retrieved the information motion for me. Nickel steel liners and bolsters. However, on my 2018 #77 Northfield Barlow a magnet sticks to the liners and the bolsters. I attributed it to being close to the springs and blades. So.....

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

My #77 Northfield Barlow was made in 2018 as I had said previously. So now I need to give GEC another call because I went back and did the magnet test once again. I can't see how it's not all steel. But I will confirm it with GEC. The mystery continues.

Last edited:
This thread is filled with great information. Page 62 speaks directly to the beginning of all steel construction. There are also various references to the round/square finishing of the covers. But mostly, there are great pictures of ALL the 77 Barlows! Time for me to start a new shopping list!

I'm posting this with a disclamer! I have checked the past thread topics in the forum. I double checked the model numbers on the Great Eastern Production totals. But it is possible that I might have made a mistake. If someone finds a mistake, point it out to me and if I can confirm it I will change this post. I have shown examples of each type that has been produced up till current.

First run:
Two blade with Clip and Wharncliffe
NS bolsters, brass liners and pins
#771214 Northfield LVS Abalone
#771214 Northfield Dark Chestnut Saw Cut Bone
#771214 Northfield Red Camel Bone
#771214 Northfield Pioneer Bone
#771214 Northfield Stag
#771214 Northfield African Blackwood

16104572412_c4edb1dc21_b.jpg

Second run:
Single blade clip, single blade Sheepsfoot and single blade Wharncliffe.
NS bolsters, liners and pins.

*About a dozen Old Red Sawcut Bone Sheepsfoot 77s were made with brass liners & pins.

#770115 Northfield - Wharncliffe
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
STAG

36476715184_11fe1ab70e_b.jpg

#771115 Northfield - Clip
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

#773115 Northfield - Sheepsfoot
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE*
OLD TAN SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

16581144300_6e8f68e91f_b.jpg

Third run:
Two blade with Spear and Coping
Single blade with Spear
STL bolsters, liners and pins.

#772215 NORTHFIELD - Spear and Coping
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

#772115 NORTHFIELD - Spear
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH IVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

23963269262_21eae36b82_b.jpg

Fourth run:
Single blade "Pinchable" clip w/matchstrike pull

#771116 NORTHFIELD
SPRING GREEN SAWCUT BONE
BONE CANVAS MICARTA
COPPERHEAD SAWCUT BONE
BLOOD RED JIG BONE

31276756985_0c667a0656_b.jpg

Fifth run:
Two blade "Pinchable clip w/matchstrike pull and coping

#771218 Northfield
Desert Ironwood
Natural Linen Micarta
Blood Red Sawcut Bone
Elderberry Camel Bone

39897069340_c7b3175fd2_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm posting this with a disclamer! I have checked the past thread topics in the forum. I double checked the model numbers on the Great Eastern Production totals. But it is possible that I might have made a mistake. If someone finds a mistake, point it out to me and if I can confirm it I will change this post. I have shown examples of each type that has been produced up till current.

First run:
Two blade with Clip and Wharncliffe
NS bolsters, liners and pins
#771214 Northfield LVS Abalone
#771214 Northfield Dark Chestnut Saw Cut Bone
#771214 Northfield Red Camel Bone
#771214 Northfield Pioneer Bone
#771214 Northfield Stag

16104572412_c4edb1dc21_b.jpg

Second run:
Single blade clip, single blade Sheepsfoot and single blade Wharncliffe.
NS bolsters, liners and pins.

*About a dozen Old Red Sawcut Bone Sheepsfoot 77s were made with brass liners & pins.

#770115 Northfield - Wharncliffe
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRTCAN BLACKWOOD
OLD TAN SAWCUTBONE
OLD RED SAW CUTBONE
STAG

36476715184_11fe1ab70e_b.jpg

#771115 Northfield - Clip
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAW CUT BONE
OLD TAN SAW CUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

#772115 Northfield - Sheepsfoot
AFRICAN BLACKWOOD
OLD RED SAW CUT BONE*
OLD TAN SAW CUT BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
STAG

16581144300_6e8f68e91f_b.jpg

Third run:
Two blade with Spear and Coping
Single blade with Spear

#772215 NORTHFIELD - Spear and Coping
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH TVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKIWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

#773II5 NORTHFIELD - Spear
OLD RED SAWCUT BONE
SMOOTH TVORY BONE
SMOOTH AUTUMN GOLD BONE
AFRICAN BLACKIWOOD
NATURAL CANVAS MICARTA
SAMBAR STAG

23963269262_21eae36b82_b.jpg

Fourth run:
Single blade "Pinchable" clip w/matchstrike pull

#771116 NORTHFIELD
SPRING GREEN SAW CUT BONE
BONE CANVAS MICARTA
COPPERHEAD SAW CUT BONE
BLOOD RED JIG BONE

31276756985_0c667a0656_b.jpg

Fifth run:
Two blade "Pinchable clip w/matchstrike pull and coping

#771218 Northfield
Desert Ironwood
Natural Linen Micarta
Blood Red Sawcut Bone
Elderberry Camel Bone

39897069340_c7b3175fd2_b.jpg
Ron, I believe you did a good run down, but I have one of the first run with clip and wharncliff blades, and it has nickel silver bolsters and pins, but it has brass liners.

Ron, I believe you did a good run down, but I have one of the first run with clip and wharncliff blades, and it has nickel silver bolsters and pins, but it has brass liners.
Your correct! My photo proves that fact. Cutting and pasting got me on that one. It’s corrected now, thanks!

Half/Stop Half/Stop : Great jobb! Thank you.

Could it be that there is a mistake in numbering of 2nd run's sheepsfoot and 3rd run's single spear? It looks to me that those numbers have been interchanged.

Back