1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    When/where was this announced? A Crown Lifter option would certainly change how I prioritize things for me...

2. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I like nickel silver a lot on a knife. The very subtle warm yellow of it looks really sweet with 1095 patina, provides nice contrast.

Corn Fed, Jak3 and JohnDF like this.
  3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks for that. I like NS liners a lot, the FORUM 11 and 13 knives had them and unlike yellow brass you won't get verdigris-which is a foul fiend on light bone or Stag once it get's leeching:poop:

As Ron pointed out, many CASE knives used to have NS liners and to no ill effect, on the contrary.

JohnDF and Half/Stop like this.
  4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Camel appears to be very shy according to taking up dye. I've seen a 'Black' 83 lockback that was more or less cream with grey flecks but looked marvellous :cool: A Tidioute Farmer's Jack I have in Camel is a very nice autumn brown colour but I think undyed/natural polished Camel bone would look great too, BUT the pores might take up a lot of polishing compound giving a Dalmatian look:D Might work well though.

5. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    Question: If I submitted my reservation when it was yellow but I still got an email does that mean I made it in?

I’m very excited because for many other and myself this will be our first #77!

Can’t wait!

Old Engineer likes this.
  6. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Yellow is good, means it was filling up but there were still available spots. Surefire way to check is to log in to your CK account, and there will be an Early Reserve section that shows you what knives/at which status you have reserved.

Jak3 likes this.
  7. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    I’m pretty sure the only steel pins gec uses are through steel bolsters, any other white metal pin is nickel silver.
    Joke/wishful thinking.

thepapercut and Half/Stop like this.
  8. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    How a non ferrous material is processed after being cast can greatly alter its physical properties..... Generally hot worked materials yield lower physical properties than cold worked materials...….. The amount of reduction during cold working also influences the physical properties... Liner material would typically be extruded (hot) from a billet into round strands..... The strands would then be cold rolled on a multi stand rolling mill into sheet form.... It might require multiple annealing and rolling operations before reaching the target size.... The final rolling operation establishes the correct physical properties...…… Silver and nickel are added to copper based materials to increase wear resistance and strength..... The final use of the material dictates not only the chemical makeup of the material but also the processing recipe to assure the correct physical properties for the intended application...….

Old Engineer, cigarrodog and Tuna like this.
  9. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    GEC #77 Barlow CKs SFO "I GOT A ROCK !"

t.willy likes this.
  10. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Ol Yeller and Ol Red are really looking fine my friend . They were both out of a magnificent litter .

Harry

mrknife and Half/Stop like this.
  11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks my friend! IMHO one of the best litters! :thumbsup::D

Old Engineer likes this.
  12. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Thank you all for taking time to dispel my friend's concerns. :) NS appears to be somewhat soft, you know - bolsters. You give them a strict look and they scratch. But since also the pivot pin is NS and the blade doesn't chew through it, it should be alright.

I thought this would be my one and only NF barlow, but I feel already that I will try to score some all steel clip point in the future.

13. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    S.O.T.T., Keep in mind that NS bolsters, pins & liners are all manufactured differently and will rightfully have different physical properties...….… Same as Apples make applesauce, apple juice & sliced apples...…..

SnailOffTheTrail likes this.
  14. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    Nickel silver liners are upgrades from brass liners. From Wikipedia: "Nickel silver... an additional benefit is that the metal is harder and has more corrosion resistance than brass."

Pgg365247, Boxer .45, cbr1000 and 4 others like this.
  15. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Aren't all the GEC bolsters made from nickel silver?

16. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    All this NS vs Steel talk is making me wonder about the construction of my 77 NF single blade... anyone know what they used on this run ?

[​IMG]

TFBraden and Old Engineer like this.
  17. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Unless specified otherwise, yes, they are Nickel Silver.

Steel looks very different than Nickel Silver, in my opinion anyway. I don't know for certain on your particular example but it does look like steel to me.

The pic below, I was able to capture (unintentionally) the differences in appearance. The two bottom knives have steel bolsters, the above knives have nickel silver.

[​IMG]

18. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I hope GEC doesn't get away from adding STL to the model number to designate steel bolsters and liners.

JohnDF likes this.
  19. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

Thanks- good example. Yes I’m pretty sure that single clip blade is steel. And I noticed this older one I used to own had more of a tarnished look to it- must be NS bolsters in this one.

[​IMG]

20. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    See, thats what I thought. Therefore I don't see the issue here with these barlows being nickle silver.
    I'm so excited they could make them out of wood and I'd be all over it.;) JK