GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

If it only comes with an etch, then how is it less collectible? There's still the same limited number produced, and same unlimited number of people who want them. The value shouldn't be less just because it has an etch, because that is the original condition.

I see your point. But if I wanted to collect knives with ugly etches, I'd probably be a huge Case fan. SFO's are, to me, now way less desirable. Maybe that was GEC's intent but it's very disappointing.

Maybe because my main interest is collecting vintage knives etch's don't bother me at all, as a matter of fact I love them. If you don't like them they will wear off as the vast majority of vintage knives show. They add considerable value and desirability to a vintage knife so to me they also add value to a GEC.

But as others have said if you don't like em, Flitz them off, it will make my GEC's more valuable 30 years from now if I'm still kicking:D

100 year old knife with it's etch.

View attachment 1198092

Wait...but thats a Remington knife with a Remington Etch. So a GEC knife with a Northfield or GEC etch would make sense.

Maybe because my main interest is collecting vintage knives etch's don't bother me at all, as a matter of fact I love them. If you don't like them they will wear off as the vast majority of vintage knives show. They add considerable value and desirability to a vintage knife so to me they also add value to a GEC.

But as others have said if you don't like em, Flitz them off, it will make my GEC's more valuable 30 years from now if I'm still kicking:D

100 year old knife with it's etch.

View attachment 1198092
What if that knife said "Sears Roebuck" on the blade.

What if that knife said "Sears Roebuck" on the blade.

Camillus made knives for Sears and early ones were etched Sta-Sharp, also a Craftsman etch was used, definitely adds value to the knife.

Camillus made knives for Sears and early ones were etched Sta-Sharp, also a Craftsman etch was used, definitely adds value to the knife.

Completely disagree. If I was buying a Buck 110 and it said Walmart on the blade, as opposed to nothing or BUCK, which one do you think people want?

ITS REAL!
3atw6y.jpg

Last edited:
I'd prefer no etch, but I also know car dealers that won't let a new car off the lot unless it has their dealer name decaled to the trunk/tailgate.……. I guess it is a sign of the times; everyone wants their name on the "marquee"...…...

I'd prefer no etch, but I also know car dealers that won't let a new car off the lot unless it has their dealer name decaled to the trunk/tailgate.……. I guess it is a sign of the times; everyone wants their name on the "marquee"...…...

Wrong. If they want to make a sale or pay me for advertising. I've never bought a vehicle with their advertising plastered on it.

Wrong. If they want to make a sale or pay me for advertising. I've never bought a vehicle with their advertising plastered on it.

If you read my statement you'll note I said "some"...……… I also acknowledge your get in their face stance...…….

Was there a second round of early reserves on these? If so, just curious how that worked. Thanks.

Back