GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    The amber sawcuts look great. I can’t help but think how they would look in an all steel version? This new release is going to have to be pretty well executed to take the place of this old girl... 1A752BAD-73AB-47F1-AE33-45F7F0993605.jpeg

2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Having seen the Amber saw cut in a few of these photos has really helped reaffirm my decision. Good looking knives:thumbsup:

3. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Can’t wait to see some red

PJLime likes this.
  4. volta001

volta001 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Blackwood should arrive Friday!!

5. thepapercut

thepapercut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Same! Really hope someone posts photos of their Blackwood soon... still on the fence if I made the right call or not.

6. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Saw some pics of the reds on Facebook. Think you guys are gonna be happy with those.

7. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Apparently someone isn’t happy with their Amber Cut, it’s already on an auction site:( Bummer for those that missed out on the run...

8. DavidLim

DavidLim

Jul 28, 2016
    I got my Red Sawcut today. Enjoy.

IMG_0589b.jpg

IMG_0590c.jpg

IMG_0592c.jpg

TOM K., bbk357, flylock and 29 others like this.
  9. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Very Happy to get the AB(Fri). The only one that would have changed my mind, is the Snakewood.

10. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Now that they are all picked, my list was...

1. African Blackwood
    2. Micarta
    3. Red Sawcut Bone
    4. Amber Sawcut Bone

I ended up with my first choice.

And you couldn't pay me high Ebay prices for it because I've wanted one for years!

Fox79, CelloDan, 315 and 1 other person like this.
  11. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    “Everyone has a price, the important thing is to find out what it is.” (Pablo Escobar):D

Matt_WY, mb>, jkwithawave and 2 others like this.
  12. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    They seem to go for quite a bit on auction sites, and I wouldn't sell it for the higher numbers, so I figured that said something. Guess I've wanted it longer than what someone would pay. :)

cigarrodog likes this.
  13. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    I must say I feel underwhelmed by my amber choice so far. Should have gone with AB. :-/

All the power to those who love their amber.

cigarrodog likes this.
  14. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I was fond of a girl named Amber once. ;)

I have to echo @cigarrodog here (on the snakewood would have swayed me). I did have second thoughts when I ordered, but I knew I'd have that no matter what I chose.

I don't mean to take away from anyone enjoying their awesome sawcuts, but it's too bad the reds didn't come out so red on the shoulders. That might have swayed me on that one. What really draws me to that cover is the almost black/deep, deep red on the flats.

shadowram, cigarrodog and tmd_87 like this.
  15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Now that's an awesome 77. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: If I had to choose, I'd take yours over any from this new run. The fit and finish on the 2015 run was just crazy good, even by GEC's standards. Maybe their best work yet, and those steel bolsters are so wonderfully rugged looking. You also have the canvas micarta, my favorite cover material for a working knife, which will probably never be seen again on Northfield trim.

That being said, this year's run looks amazing. Great cover options, and the match strike pull is a nice addition. Can't wait for my micarta to arrive.

16. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Status
    Out for Delivery

[​IMG]

tmd_87, pmek5, GE Jr and 1 other person like this.
  17. jwsnyder

jwsnyder

Jul 16, 2018
    Swoon. I get that some don't like it, but the understated color on it is perfect, in my opinion. I could have gone a bit more saturated, but I love how it is. I also love the freckles of dark color. Fit and finish is as close to perfect (for my taste) as I've had from GEC in a while.

The only thing I don't like is the blade etch. Kudos to mike for 1) keeping it small, and 2) putting it on back side of blade. Really hate this requirement from GEC.

Attached Files:

Matt_WY, PJLime, steelnut and 7 others like this.
  18. Pjake

Pjake Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2011
    Getting my AB today/tonight....while I am excited to see it...there's only a bit of remorse that I was not able to get the red SC. We'll see how it goes. Hope everybody is happy with their new knives!!!
    Peter

tmd_87 likes this.
  19. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    3AC67690-798A-4658-8CA0-893F0EDEB123.jpeg

bbk357, JOELSM, Hivoltage and 27 others like this.
  20. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018