GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I'm enjoying seeing all the variations of the new 77 Barlows. The ambers shown so far have quite a bit of variation but all look great! Congratulations to all that picked one up.

My AB should arrive today (although it should have arrived yesterday, was out for delivery and somehow ended up back at the Post Office). From what I've seen so far, the wait will be worth it! Some of the Red and Amber Saw Cuts look so good, it makes me question my decision, but then I see an AB and am re-affirmed. I guess the bottom line is that GEC/CK hit it out of the park with these.

I am likely in the minority, but I favor a spear point blade - mostly for aesthetics. To be honest, I carry a knife every day and my knives get used but (outside of my hunting knives) not really that hard. A knife that looks and feels good to me gets a lot of pocket time. I expect this one will displace my ebony lambsfoot for a little while.

My micarta arrived last night, and I'm a happy guy. The covers have a beautiful grain to them. Very good fit and finish, as is the usual for the 77 Barlow.

DwIllQXh.jpg

Alright, the crimson darling has arrived.

Despite my misgivings regarding dye saturation in the beginning, I am quite pleased that I maintained my resolve in sticking with the Red Sawcut. It is one of my favorite cover materials and the example I received earlier today only serves to reaffirm that. It isn't quite as dark as my 2018 NF Barlow but it is rather similar to my NF #25 in its hue and appearance. I am just thrilled that the shoulders did not turn out pinkish.

A fine knife, one that I am very grateful to own. It has all the build characteristics that I have come to expect from GEC. The walk and talk is pleasing and the pull is fairly medium. Perfectly centered and good fitment overall. Another great knife from GEC and Mike.

N9HRhGt.jpg

3kwGw1l.jpg

CGL1wpB.jpg

Glamour shot!

Er4dvsN.jpg

With the gang (small as it is).

XEGstYn.jpg

With its Red Sawcut brethren.

OrThfcM.jpg
Congrats to you my friend for your new Red Sawcut . Your last picture is the one that I wanted to see .

Harry

These all look great guys. I’m loving that micarta too.

Well, without posting any curse words, Usps messed up once again.
I live in Ohio. Columbus is the main hub.. it got there late Wednesday night. For some reason they shipped it back to Indiana last night !!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TbNRdLI.png

My micarta arrived last night, and I'm a happy guy. The covers have a beautiful grain to them. Very good fit and finish, as is the usual for the 77 Barlow.

DwIllQXh.jpg

Buzz, not sure if it’s just in the picture but I like the dark color in the grain of the Micarta. Good looking knife.

I live in Ohio. Columbus is the main hub.. it got there late Wednesday night. For some reason they shipped it back to Indiana last night !!

Hopefully it’s just taking the scenic route:cool:

Really like this flavor of spear - very sweet blade. This one has some feint brown streaks on one side (which I like). Excellent walk and talk! Great way to cap a busy work week.

Pj0QrIi.jpg

Q4iEn3h.jpg
Very nice! I got mine yesterday, but haven't yet been able to open it. I will get to it in the next day or so. I would be very happy to see some streaking in mine as well.

Reactions: mb>
Swoon. I get that some don't like it, but the understated color on it is perfect, in my opinion. I could have gone a bit more saturated, but I love how it is. I also love the freckles of dark color. Fit and finish is as close to perfect (for my taste) as I've had from GEC in a while.

The only thing I don't like is the blade etch. Kudos to mike for 1) keeping it small, and 2) putting it on back side of blade. Really hate this requirement from GEC.
CK was required to do this? Is this a new rule from GEC? My 77 from the last run doesn’t have this etch.

Back