GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

This thread is a hot mess.
Its happening more and more all the time. :thumbsdown:

snipet from the above link:

In order to avoid violations of bladeforums.com's "Terms Of Service" (TOS) or our own sub-forum guidelines, please refrain from posting vendor links, referrals and/or endorsements within our threads as well as directing our members toward a particular commercial site.
("Deal & Bargain Spotting" is a violation of the TOS)

Let's keep our threads focused on the discussion of traditional knives, not vendors and their web sites.

The exception to the rule above is that you may refer other members to dealers who support bladefrums.com via a "Dealer" membership. Refer to the Paid Dealer Members List ( Updated 10/21/2018 ).

(The "Feedback" section remains the proper venue to report your recommendations and experiences, both good and bad, with vendors, dealers, makers etc.
You may also share links and vendor recommendations with one another privately via email or PM.)
I think it is sometimes not avoidable with a knife that has as much hype as this one.

I think it is sometimes not avoidable with a knife that has as much hype as this one.
It really is a mess when I don't even know which knife you're referring to, the Angus jack or the 2AB barlow? Or both? Should just rename this thread to 2021 #86 😆

why is that? are there specific US laws?

all i know is that you only need a CITES for Ebony (Diospyros) from Madagascar.

Common Name(s): Macassar Ebony, Striped Ebony, Amara Ebony
Scientific Name: Diospyros celebica
Distribution: Southeast Asia
Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, but is on the IUCN Red List. It is listed as vulnerable due to a population reduction of over 20% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation.

That one in particular is on CITES App II, but that doesn't really matter. You have to declare any woods, horns, shells, etc. and FWS will decide if they need to inspect it.

CITES Woods Table

This thread is a hot mess.
Its happening more and more all the time. :thumbsdown:

snipet from the above link:

In order to avoid violations of bladeforums.com's "Terms Of Service" (TOS) or our own sub-forum guidelines, please refrain from posting vendor links, referrals and/or endorsements within our threads as well as directing our members toward a particular commercial site.
("Deal & Bargain Spotting" is a violation of the TOS)

Let's keep our threads focused on the discussion of traditional knives, not vendors and their web sites.

The exception to the rule above is that you may refer other members to dealers who support bladefrums.com via a "Dealer" membership. Refer to the Paid Dealer Members List ( Updated 10/21/2018 ).

(The "Feedback" section remains the proper venue to report your recommendations and experiences, both good and bad, with vendors, dealers, makers etc.
You may also share links and vendor recommendations with one another privately via email or PM.)
Says . . .

Link is ded. But I know that DLT has a paid dealer membership, so referring to them was apparently totally Kosher. Same for Blade HQ.

So no "hot mess" there.

Not sure who else was mentioned or if they have a paid dealer membership. Could be a violation there, I guess.

Well done reporting.
XmZn81T.jpg

OBK14cF.jpg

52fnrtW.jpg

Says . . .

Link is ded. But I know that DLT has a paid dealer membership, so referring to them was apparently totally Kosher. Same for Blade HQ.

So no "hot mess" there.

Not sure who else was mentioned or if they have a paid dealer membership. Could be a violation there, I guess.

Who cares about who was named? Let's just focus on this part, of which there were no exceptions.

We want the forum to focus upon the discussion of traditional knives...not the purchasing process, prices

This is just the first knife of a run that is going to include a SS Barlow and the BF Barlow. The 38s will still be my knife of the year, however GEC is bringing some serious thunder right now.

Fit and finish are spot on, pulls are firm but not nail breakers. The main is pinchable for those of you that enjoy that. The snap is nice after one flush and I expect it to only improve. The main does sit very high and will affect certain grips when using the secondary, I have large hands so I personally should not run into any issues others may. I love the large secondary blades that GEC uses and this one is no exception.

All I have to say about the lottery pick that I received for covers is to post this picture.

5ulavpy.jpg

Last edited:
This is just the first knife of a run that is going to include a SS Barlow and the BF Barlow. The 38s will still be my knife of the year, however GEC is bringing some serious thunder right now.

Fit and finish are spot on, pulls are firm but not nail breakers. The main is pinchable for those of you that enjoy that. The snap is nice after one flush and I expect it to only improve. The main does sit very high and will affect certain grips when using the secondary, I have large hands so I personally should not run into any issues others may. I love the large secondary blades that GEC uses and this one is no exception.

All I have to say about the lottery pick that I received for covers is to post this picture.

5ulavpy.jpg
Wow you did win the lotto with those covers. That black streak is really cool looking. Does the pile side have that also?

Back