GEC new #43 pattern, who’s excited?

I was pleasantly surprised by my beavertail, centered and nice strong walk and talk which sounds like the exception on this run. Pretty sure I am going to post it soon due to some existing competition in my collection but it’s a gem. A very cool run of knives by GEC

A little update on my new 43 Cocobolo. Gave it a good cleaning and added a lanyard with bead although I'm not sure I'll leave it that way. After the cleaning the pull went really smooth at what I now believe to be a solid 4. As I played with this knife more and more I began to appreciate it more for what it's probably going to offer me in the future as my hands become more arthritic and hard to manipulate. The larger size and the slightly weaker action will allow me to manipulate the knife well into my later years while still enjoying a knife that has great aesthetics and snap. I can envision myself being able to wield this knife safely as I age. For the moment though I've got to be extra careful. As I was cleaning and playing with the knife my index finger just brushed up against the blade and it brought blood. Like I said in my last post, this one came razor sharp. The knife works very well in this slip and right now it has found a home in my back pocket.IMG_3355.PNG IMG_3354.PNG

Last edited:
A little update on my new 43 Cocobolo. Gave it a good cleaning and added a lanyard with bead although I'm not sure I'll leave it that way. After the cleaning the pull went really smooth at what I now believe to be a solid 4. As I played with this knife more and more I began to appreciate it more for what it's probably going to offer me in the future as my hands become more arthritic and hard to manipulate. The larger size and the slightly weaker action will allow me to manipulate the knife well into my later years while still enjoying a knife that has great aesthetics and snap. I can envision myself being able to wield this knife safely as I age. For the moment though I've got to be extra careful. As I was cleaning and playing with the knife my index finger just brushed up against the blade and it brought blood. Like I said in my last post, this one came razor sharp. The knife works very well in this slip and right now it has found a home in my back pocket.View attachment 870461 View attachment 870460
Any blade rapping?

Got my Beaver Tail a few days ago and this is the first GEC in a long while that really thrilled me. Not that anything was wrong with the others, they just did not make me go "wow" (my #66 and Big Bay, or the Frontier Bone version of this #43)). I wanted a larger knife for yard and garden use, sort of a upscale Sodbuster type knife and this is it. Great easy pull for my aching hands, a great size for larger work and the rustic wood handle just seems suited to a yard and garden knife. Perfect centering on mine and no blade rap either.

This one actually tempts me to make it a daily carry and get another (or a micarta) for the yard, or maybe a Cocobolo for daily use. Really a winner in this one.

Have you sharpened it out? How much did it take, if so?
I've gotten rid of it on the frontier, it was a spot about 3/8" long 3/4 the way up the blade that sharpened out fairly easy. I just kept letting it slam shut then hitting it with an easy-lap diamond rod......and repeat until it was cured. The red is striking the little bump where the spring pivot pin goes through..gotta feeling it's gonna take awhile

Any blade rapping?

It had not even occurred to me to check since nothing seem to stand out even after I cut myself with it. But as I run my fingernail across the edge I can feel an ever so slight irregularity in the edge. So I cut a thin strip of the adhesive side of a Post-it note and put it in the bottom of the spring and sure enough the blade made contact with it. I'm actually very surprised that it does make contact even with the softer spring since there is about a good 1/8" of space after the blade is sitting closed before it meets the backspring.

My rusty red did a fine job slicing some buns like butter ! For a little hot Italian Sausage :thumbsup:
3Kg7Xya.jpg

:D
vuClLFh.jpg

It had not even occurred to me to check since nothing seem to stand out even after I cut myself with it. But as I run my fingernail across the edge I can feel an ever so slight irregularity in the edge. So I cut a thin strip of the adhesive side of a Post-it note and put it in the bottom of the spring and sure enough the blade made contact with it. I'm actually very surprised that it does make contact even with the softer spring since there is about a good 1/8" of space after the blade is sitting closed before it meets the backspring.
Sharpen that baby up and I bet it won’t hit anymore since it was so light of a rap to begin with .

The micarta I have didn’t have any blade rap at first from what I could tell, and I was checking it because of what others had said. But after opening and closing the knife for awhile just to break in the action it began to get a noticeable edge roll. It honed out easily but I haven’t let it snap shut since, as I may be keeping the cocobolo that’s coming soon. The action got much snappier for me as I broke it in, so I think this pattern is going to be fine once folks use it regularly, or spend some time breaking it in.

I wonder if the softer springs actually deflect easier as the blade snaps shut allowing the blade to travel further past its normal stop. Yeah, less closing force but less resisting force as well. My Case small Sodbuster always rapped

So far haven’t noticed and rap with my 4 but with that being said after reading a few posts here with that issue I just guide mine down past halfway so it’s not closing at full force . Not a problem for me to do it that way and this pattern shines in so many other areas it’s well worth it to give it some gentle love lol when closing just to be safe but that’s just me .

Onions, green pepper, celery and carrots have been no match for my 43. This knife is a real slicer, a joy in the kitchen. The handle and overall size of the knife are great and the shape of the blade too. I have a patina starting near the front. I love this knife.

I agree with buck. These are some slicing mofos. Now that pearl is off to a new sponsor, I’ve used this one more and man, it chops up some veggies and fruits like a laser.

FWIW, mine has no rap. It was probably the sharpest GEC I’ve ever gotten. I did profile and put my edge on it, which took almost no time as the GEC edge was already pretty even and close to 20 deg.

Spent the weekend with my Beaver Tail, and can say it is excellent. Honestly one of the most satisfying GEC's I've received in years. For me, and as far as single blades go, this is ideal, and vastly superior to the 78s, etc. It is almost exactly like my Madison Barlow, only better because its a clip. If this were stainless, I would buy every cover option. At least (maybe 2 of some!).

Last edited:
Now that pearl is gone, I’ve turned my attention to the 43 more. Flushed her out good, but no real improvement. Mine was pretty good. I’d say pull about a 5. Not much talk but decent for the pull, walk feels good, and maybe just a hair lazy at the end of close but that’s being nit picky. Had used it enough to take some keenness off the edge, so I profiled her up to my normal 20 deg for use on the sharp maker. I must say that this, hands down, is the best edge I’ve ever had on a GEC. Probably didn’t need a reprofile but there was 1 spot that was a little rounded. Now she wipes hair off my arm. After that and a hot water flush, I oiled her up good for use. To me, I like seeing a shiney good edge on a patinad knife. Tried to capture it in the photo.

I have to admit, I am very pleased with mine. I have two S&M’s I picked up from a buddy that need sharpening and carrying but I just don’t want to right now!
E07D895A-1CEF-46F7-B50A-0A932B6B9D3F.jpeg CC1837C6-E9F5-4989-AE2B-C3A4D9D3F723.jpeg

I just braved the rain to extract my just delivered natural canvas from the mailbox and opened it up.

It's a beauty! Perfect 5 pull with no grittiness and that bouncy snap that usually only comes on the stainless models. Perfect centering, no blade rap, and shaving sharp (barely) right out of the tube. Flash pic because of the rain.

ihhiFpv.jpg

Back