Gerber Strongarm: the fine-edged Prodigy that you have been waiting for

I've watched the Gauntlet reviews among others on YT. I think it is obviously a tough performer.
I find it hard to believe that anyone can doubt it's value after watching the reviews. Some people seem to jump on whatever new steel bandwagon comes along. I suspect that some of these individuals haven't used the steel they tout or the one they are knocking. It's simply a case of following the pack.

I've no doubt that some steels might exhibit better edge holding. Some of those same steels may not prove to be any more durable though. Some folks are gonna knock a Gerber product no matter how well it does in tests. Again I suspect many of these Gerber haters are following the pack and have little or no experience with the brand. Gerber has released lower quality import models that may be poor performers. I've avoided those. The ones I've purchased and used over the last 30+ years have yet to fail me. Pre and post Fiskars.
I expect no less from the Strongarm. Yes I bought one.
The edge retention on my original was excellent. I convexed it immediately out the box due to the factor bevels being noticeably off. After that all I had to do was strop it a lil after a hard day's use and was back to razor sharp. It will also take a ridiculously sharp edge, I literally shaved my face with it (boredom and buddy betting me it wouldn't work).

Granted there are much better steels they could use, but then it wouldn't be a $50 knife anymore. If they'd made it in s30v or cpm3v the knife would likely triple in price, then the Gerber haters would be bitching about a Gerber costing so much.

To anyone who wants to trash talk this knife without ever using it, how about you try and see for yourself rather than going off what you've read about a brand.

Idk if something like that would work the way the stock sheath is set up. A kydex piece would work, but it would seem to need to be custom made around the sheath itself to work.

I see what you mean. It could mount to the "front" OK but may not mount well on the back... I may have to get one of these to see what I can come up with. Thanks much for all the helpful pics :thumbup:

Well said Bobby3326.
The rampant steel snobbery on BF has gotten out of hand. There have always been "better" steels but by whose definition?
I personally think the Strongarm will do great in military circles especially when compared to some things I've seen used. I've gifted more than one of my military buddies with blades for deployment. I would have no hesitation in giving this knife to one of them. This size seems popular and very realistic for usage. It comes ready to mount and in coyote brown would blend in with other gear and almost appear to be an issued item.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Gerber but this piece has excited me like few others in recent memory. I like the Prodigy also but this one has really gotten my attention even more.
I buy and use knives from many brands and makers,some costing many times what this one does but few will see the usage of it.

Go ahead make light of it, pass it over, add it to the Gerber sucks pile. While you're at it tell us about another knife with this price and weight range and sheath capability that will surpass it in the type of tests shown in the gauntlet reviews.
Educate me!

Last edited:
Well said Bobby3326.
The rampant steel snobbery on BF has gotten out of hand. There have always been "better" steels but by whose definition?
I personally think the Strongarm will do great in military circles especially when compared to some things I've seen used. I've gifted more than one of my military buddies with blades for deployment. I would have no hesitation in giving this knife to one of them. This size seems popular and very realistic for usage. It comes ready to mount and in coyote brown would blend in with other gear and almost appear to be an issued item.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Gerber but this piece has excited me like few others in recent memory. I like the Prodigy also but this one has really gotten my attention even more.
I buy and use knives from many brands and makers,some costing many times what this one does but few will see the usage of the it.

Go ahead make light of it, pass it over, add it to the Gerber sucks pile. While you're at it tell us about another knife with this price and weight range and sheath capability that will surpass it in the type of tests shown in the gauntlet reviews.
Educate me!
The coyote version definitely blends in well with multi-cam and would serve someone in the military well.

Also like you I have knives from various manufacturers ranging from $30 up to $200. I collect knives but I also use my collection I have no safe queens, but I'm more likely to grab a $50 knife to beat on heavily than a $200. Especially when it's gonna perform just as well or better.
pNLuUDH.jpg

PK1w0Qv.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you mean. It could mount to the "front" OK but may not mount well on the back... I may have to get one of these to see what I can come up with. Thanks much for all the helpful pics [emoji106]
I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I was thinking about buying a piece of kydex and trying to make my own but have no experience with kydex with the exception of heating a sheath up a lil to adjust retention.

I'd like a piece that simply snaps in for vertical carry, I like to have the belt loop right about on the middle of the knife handle. That's the most comfortable position for me, not riding to high where I'm being poked in the side and not so low it's flopping around.

This is close to where I prefer the belt loop to be, it would be prefect about a half inch higher up the handle.
AYPh6bv.jpg

Bobby3326, who did the Kydex rig for you? Looks solid and very low profile.
I'm thinking of something similar(minus the belt loop) to shove in a pocket for carry. How tight is the retention?

Bobby3326, who did the Kydex rig for you? Looks solid and very low profile.
I'm thinking of something similar(minus the belt loop) to shove in a pocket for carry. How tight is the retention?
I got the sheath from extreme edge customs, you can look him up on facebook. The retention is tight without being too tight if that makes since. I can hold the knife upside down shake the hell out of it and it's held securely, but can easily draw it one handed pushing off with my thumb.

The only thing that I didn't like about it was the belt loop. it came mounted one hole lower and was just a flat piece of kydex with a loop and was kinda angled away from the sheath. It rode really high and made the bottom of the sheath dig into my leg. that was easily fixed thou by heating it up a lil shaping it around the hilt the way I wanted it, so I could raise it up another hole and made the loop inline with the sheath.

Also thought I should add it's tek-lok compatible as well.

Last edited:
So, you were asking why some people are down on Gerbers. If I read this properly, you bought a new (MADE IN THE USA, kinda hard to miss that on the blade) knife from them, had it for a few months, and had to replace it because the blade came bent from the factory? And they had a recall on them for bent blades? That is a good general reason why I wont ever buy a Gerber. Same steel, much better heat treatment, and same/better price in a Buck knife.

edit-I did read it wrong. OP asked about Gerbers, other poster talked about having to return the knife for bent blade.

Last edited:
So, you were asking why some people are down on Gerbers. If I read this properly, you bought a new (MADE IN THE USA, kinda hard to miss that on the blade) knife from them, had it for a few months, and had to replace it because the blade came bent from the factory? And they had a recall on them for bent blades? That is a good general reason why I wont ever buy a Gerber. Same steel, much better heat treatment, and same/better price in a Buck knife.

edit-I did read it wrong. OP asked about Gerbers, other poster talked about having to return the knife for bent blade.
There was no recall. Just a few cases of bent blades, it was the kinda bend where the rollers were likely off during that run. It's not a fault in the steel used just an error during production which could happen to any manufacturer. Hell i had a tops bob made of 1095 with a defective heat treat. The point is any company can have a few bad ones from an error they made during production. That doesn't take away from the quality of an item bc there's a few bad ones that made it out, they produce these by the masses so your obviously gonna have some that weren't caught during quality control.

Which honestly could happen to any knife manufacturer that produces large runs. The only time perfection wouldn't be as excusable is if your buying a custom. But at the end of the day Gerber stood behind there product and made it right no questions asked.

Last edited:
Honestly, I dislike Gerber. Two reasons:
1 ~ I absolutely hate that they don't tell you what steel they use.

2 ~ The grind lines are so dull on some of the Gerber knives.

I have a Gerber Warrant Tanto fixed blade that I bought over a year ago. I wouldn't buy it again because of the lines and the steel. I was unhappy with that knife purchase more than any knife purchase I have ever made. I would never buy another Gerber knife unless it was vintage.:foot:
Maybe I will see a product in the future that would change my mind. I wish Gerber would advertise what steel they use for their' knives... The LMF looks to be much better quality though.

Honestly, I dislike Gerber. Two reasons:
1 ~ I absolutely hate that they don't tell you what steel they use.

2 ~ The grind lines are so dull on some of the Gerber knives.

I have a Gerber Warrant Tanto fixed blade that I bought over a year ago. I wouldn't buy it again because of the lines and the steel. I was unhappy with that knife purchase more than any knife purchase I have ever made. I would never buy another Gerber knife unless it was vintage.:foot:
Maybe I will see a product in the future that would change my mind. I wish Gerber would advertise what steel they use for their' knives... The LMF looks to be much better quality though.
Actually they do tell you what the steel is especially on there USA made lineup. The lmf2 was originally 12c27 but was switched to 420hc, and the prodigy and strongarm are also made of 420hc. I don't remember off the top of my head what it is but they also list the steel on the bear grylls series. The only ones they don't really list the steel on is there very low end China garbage.

Now as far as the grinds go that's nothing a good sharpening won't fix. I typically always immediately reprofile all my production knives, with a few exceptions. I don't expect a $30-50 knife to have a prefect grind from the factory, but typically once I reprofile them to fit my needs they're excellent value knives.

I've purchased knives by Buck,Schrade,Cold Steel,Benchmade and others that had flaws from the factory. I've had knives by mid-tech makers that were far from perfect. I don't judge a company based on a few bad or sub-par examples.
As far as Buck's 420 I don't find it to be superior to Gerber's in any way. Not knocking it as I own several Bucks but I haven't experienced any better edge holding or overall durability with them.
In general I've found them to run about neck and neck.
To my knowledge Buck nor any other companies listed are currently offering a package like the Strongarm in any steel or price range for that matter.

This may very well be a fine knife for the price. But, like I said, I'll never know because Gerber burned that bridge with me with some Knives that flat out sucked, and I have always found Knives in a comparable price range that I wound up liking better. For the price on a fixed blade, I would buy another Buck, a KaBar., a Cold Steel, a dozen different Condors, Mora's, Marttiini's, a Smith and Wesson, shoot I would try a Browning out and a Remington, give them a first chance before giving Gerber a 4th. I'd even buy another Schrade extreme survival (because it hasnt let me down) before Gerber finds its way back onto my "Knives to buy list"...

Like I said, I do hope its a great knife, for all who bought it. Sounds like most of you are quite pleased and that's great. I also hope Gerber can re establish themselves with quality Knives, but for their sake, certainly not for my sake, because I'll likely never ever never spend my money on a Gerber again... The only one I still own is a gator machete, and it sucks too, but while i do use it to clear some branches and such around the property, I keep it primarily for clearing ground brush along the trail(s) because I simply don't care if it digs into the dirt and eats a few rocks along the way as it goes... And when the day comes that it breaks, or I give it away or sell it at a yard sale, the current team will take its place and I'll more then likely buy a 2nd tram as a backup, and that will mark the day going forward that I will never own another Gerber.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, glad it's working well for ya's, but personally, Gerber has fallen so far off my list it would be nothing short of miraculous for them to ever find themselves back in my good graces despite any number of good reviews, not when there are other manufacturers to choose from who haven't already ruined their credibility with me.

Ok just a heads up strongarm owners, apparently there were some bad batches sent out that have bent blades. I didn't notice this at first, but I ordered a kydex sheath for it and when it arrived was super tight on the knife...I immediately contacted the maker who informed me of this issue and to check my knife as 2 other people experienced the same issue..sure enough my blade hooks to the right near the tip. Gonna contact Gerber for a replacement, I'd suggest you check yours.

I had a bent one too, at least I thought I did. Got a replacement from the seller which still looks bent at first sight, but then compared it to a few straight edges and it was DEAD STRAIGHT! Some how both of mine looks bent to the right as well when viewed from the top, but turns out to be straight when compared to a ruler, floor tile, wall edge and table edge. Straight, from glass breaker to tip of blade.

I had a bent one too, at least I thought I did. Got a replacement from the seller which still looks bent at first sight, but then compared it to a few straight edges and it was DEAD STRAIGHT! Some how both of mine looks bent to the right as well when viewed from the top, but turns out to be straight when compared to a ruler, floor tile, wall edge and table edge. Straight, from glass breaker to tip of blade.
You can't really judge by just looking down the spine. I could lay the blade on a flat surface and one side would be raised when pressure was applied to the other.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with...
I'd like a piece that simply snaps in for vertical carry, I like to have the belt loop right about on the middle of the knife handle. That's the most comfortable position for me, not riding to high where I'm being poked in the side and not so low it's flopping around.

Bumping this thread as it took a while for me to get a Strongarm. My order arrived and here's some picks of the sheath and my attachments.

For starters, nice sheath but the holes and slots are a bit too narrow and I don't see why they didn't leave holes/slots along the entire length of each side, instead they gave it that odd in-out design for no apparent reason. *shrug* The nylon belt-thing is interesting, but the snaps suck (mine are too tight/hard to undo and the metal bends easily). Pics:

XaItQb9rCrbB0NmFle94gCDPacQciG9auVsq6tMj6uY=w1280-h960-no
kG1VWG-IzresNyYZEhGc-sT_JgSK5_Y2yJx6Tuu6hvw=w1280-h960-no
HpaXKFgOC8TI2SweoZ5ZqJsfUdYC6PrzKaCpq0BPSUc=w782-h1042-no
MbI5WNXbS0O6QKSRmXsJk9AYMIcD5E8BRe8XNrR9gRM=w782-h1042-no

Ditching the nylon, my Universal Kydex Sheath Extension does attach reasonably well to the 'front' of the sheath - but this piece uses screws:

fr9vV7YsZNH-hRvp8X2VjWLPFSbeGWGIdvbudNlmEFc=w1280-h960-no

NCH1ZcXON1Ig6wrfFka-LAMP2quYtM43PvFkjsqVkHg=w782-h1042-no

eRTkNHGXy7uOoY8PmORufKA_uVIcUcA9m5pyF_ARxME=w782-h1042-no

It fits similarly on the LMFII sheath (which has slots/holes full length):

IVB5aSA_6ugv7U8gK-mxBDBI1kIFgLuGvxHaX72hJWc=w1280-h960-no
EOeGpE7G7FRHUgGV3X5bQLJ7Heo-HPvsGGAyjT5qREk=w782-h1042-no
FBJXNT3Qv0n7ORalBTR3OBxijcRDgYx4824RBSrMPfA=w782-h1042-no
1GJOhIKA4C_hSdZU0NPcviHUvim5bDOOIr-zMAYvGU4=w782-h1042-no

Oh, and if anybody wanted to mix dangler-carry with Tek-Lok, this is the simplest way:

S3_j_0D6ar5QwpAHIb2gB0Do_8-FnAhB65gLq8i9leM=w782-h1042-no

And by the way, Bobby3326, the UKE should fit that custom sheath you have as well, could solve your carry-height issue without a problem.:thumbup:

HOWEVER, what was requested was a SNAP-ON extension piece, a custom-attachment for the Strongarm factory sheath. I'll be honest, it took me 2 minutes to come up with this and <15 minutes to build it. I cannot figure why GERBER didn't just include something like this with the knife in the first place! It has that neat system for horizontal carry, why not just use it for vertical carry as well??? Anyway, I didn't have any 0.125 kydex (which would be better) but the 0.093 works fine:

fNSdxVi0IINjt4_OPU4dftd6DgKUGXNbmwxJmqOnz4Y=w1280-h960-no
b0qcEbmLIGjY6cYUlE9pvfyrE-O7ou7Z_tTWVtpGIXQ=w1280-h960-no
ZiXtuXgFPfKrvjk2EfNeVuCK8cCZikP4-2WmBpEsqL8=w1280-h960-no
-t4M6Q_ADm1lnKh10Ze9Doe55Q7gqELOqQX0AXe_uwI=w1280-h960-no

The base is secured with the MOLLE stick. I shortened the height to fall where you asked. The hole-pattern is my own design (to be incorporated on my UKE 2.0 available soon), it accommodates a variety of accessories including large and small Tek-Loks, spyderco G-clip, and even the AB-3 clip at various heights. You could also attach one of my belt-loops or thread some paracord for dangler-carry. MUCH more versatile:

mxWixsg6geeSY_Q3PUz7sPoZmH8c6SkatsOx7WVGwQ4=w1280-h960-no

KfLKDSx7V_UkuwXrwcSJK1au8EaicPBaaIxCSwfF7Y8=w1280-h960-no

tIFXkouUjfyZlMypDGmQIKllyDWx5y-_79PSOCtIfaY=w1280-h960-no

q7yyL6nbFS7KdF9ez5ekJaV668qDkXeLyUuEFidaTVk=w1280-h960-no

JCKCs4m_cfy6LTzBLvuMpED_HPRUMsXhyHFwJ8FIOgs=w1280-h960-no

UhE6arX6zMq7HN0gzc57yatBO4_dUfpDuaP6NeB-45E=w1280-h960-no

MxiCWyeHBwjA2CJ9CtE2Jo0whYGf6CP-T4p-w_Gvq3I=w1280-h960-no

WIukoSkNQlgEoTcmY_aVrcJasYEHyqKyrUHDTB5YEiY=w1280-h960-no

E3kiYfwEZ2eBZAm9TWb-fALUbn-aMWuK_451XsaAEI0=w782-h1042-no

7B5s38POdCjSMNm56b_fVGagb24My8qTZq1ullPS0Fs=w782-h1042-no

w1XVyf4Ef3XKHiFMX4vmFU9GGDWJTJUpZ42_7yFyRHc=w782-h1042-no

RUWLsD2CjcA0u_I_r_ScecPGqrxQNXEfRvRnUBQvwEE=w782-h1042-no

It's so simple.
So let me know what y'all think - good idea, bad idea? You prefer the nylon and snaps, or the screw-on extension? You'd pay $5 for something that slips into place like that?

Bumping this thread as it took a while for me to get a Strongarm. My order arrived and here's some picks of the sheath and my attachments.

For starters, nice sheath but the holes and slots are a bit too narrow and I don't see why they didn't leave holes/slots along the entire length of each side, instead they gave it that odd in-out design for no apparent reason. *shrug* The nylon belt-thing is interesting, but the snaps suck (mine are too tight/hard to undo and the metal bends easily). Pics:

XaItQb9rCrbB0NmFle94gCDPacQciG9auVsq6tMj6uY=w1280-h960-no
kG1VWG-IzresNyYZEhGc-sT_JgSK5_Y2yJx6Tuu6hvw=w1280-h960-no
HpaXKFgOC8TI2SweoZ5ZqJsfUdYC6PrzKaCpq0BPSUc=w782-h1042-no
MbI5WNXbS0O6QKSRmXsJk9AYMIcD5E8BRe8XNrR9gRM=w782-h1042-no

Ditching the nylon, my Universal Kydex Sheath Extension does attach reasonably well to the 'front' of the sheath - but this piece uses screws:

fr9vV7YsZNH-hRvp8X2VjWLPFSbeGWGIdvbudNlmEFc=w1280-h960-no

NCH1ZcXON1Ig6wrfFka-LAMP2quYtM43PvFkjsqVkHg=w782-h1042-no

eRTkNHGXy7uOoY8PmORufKA_uVIcUcA9m5pyF_ARxME=w782-h1042-no

It fits similarly on the LMFII sheath (which has slots/holes full length):

IVB5aSA_6ugv7U8gK-mxBDBI1kIFgLuGvxHaX72hJWc=w1280-h960-no
EOeGpE7G7FRHUgGV3X5bQLJ7Heo-HPvsGGAyjT5qREk=w782-h1042-no
FBJXNT3Qv0n7ORalBTR3OBxijcRDgYx4824RBSrMPfA=w782-h1042-no
1GJOhIKA4C_hSdZU0NPcviHUvim5bDOOIr-zMAYvGU4=w782-h1042-no

Oh, and if anybody wanted to mix dangler-carry with Tek-Lok, this is the simplest way:

S3_j_0D6ar5QwpAHIb2gB0Do_8-FnAhB65gLq8i9leM=w782-h1042-no

And by the way, Bobby3326, the UKE should fit that custom sheath you have as well, could solve your carry-height issue without a problem.[emoji106]

HOWEVER, what was requested was a SNAP-ON extension piece, a custom-attachment for the Strongarm factory sheath. I'll be honest, it took me 2 minutes to come up with this and <15 minutes to build it. I cannot figure why GERBER didn't just include something like this with the knife in the first place! It has that neat system for horizontal carry, why not just use it for vertical carry as well??? Anyway, I didn't have any 0.125 kydex (which would be better) but the 0.093 works fine:

fNSdxVi0IINjt4_OPU4dftd6DgKUGXNbmwxJmqOnz4Y=w1280-h960-no
b0qcEbmLIGjY6cYUlE9pvfyrE-O7ou7Z_tTWVtpGIXQ=w1280-h960-no
ZiXtuXgFPfKrvjk2EfNeVuCK8cCZikP4-2WmBpEsqL8=w1280-h960-no
-t4M6Q_ADm1lnKh10Ze9Doe55Q7gqELOqQX0AXe_uwI=w1280-h960-no

The base is secured with the MOLLE stick. I shortened the height to fall where you asked. The hole-pattern is my own design (to be incorporated on my UKE 2.0 available soon), it accommodates a variety of accessories including large and small Tek-Loks, spyderco G-clip, and even the AB-3 clip at various heights. You could also attach one of my belt-loops or thread some paracord for dangler-carry. MUCH more versatile:

7B5s38POdCjSMNm56b_fVGagb24My8qTZq1ullPS0Fs=w782-h1042-no

It's so simple.
So let me know what y'all think - good idea, bad idea? You prefer the nylon and snaps, or the screw-on extension? You'd pay $5 for something that slips into place like that?

That's awesome bud, this is exactly what Gerber should've done from the factory. I like the factory sheath, compact and versatile, just poorly designed for vertical carry.
What would this set up run exactly like in this pic? Just the snap in piece with a kydex belt loop.

Also you should patent this adapter, that way if Gerber tries correcting it in the future they gotta cut you a check first lol

Back