Gerber Strongarm: the fine-edged Prodigy that you have been waiting for

I got a new Strongarm today and I will repeat what others have said. Everything is great except the edge grind. It's obtuse, wavy, uneven, and dull. I can rub my hand on it with a lot of pressure with no discomfort. Nothing some time on the Edgepro can't fix. But still it's a shame such a great knife is given such little attention on the grinder before it ships.
Mine came fairly sharp out the box, but was uneven and reflected a half assed rushed job. It didn't take me long to even up the bevels and put a razor edge on it thou, I still have a spot near the tip that's off but I didn't wanna grind away the steel required to fix it. It'll correct itself over a coarse of sharpening sessions as needed.
lwrSHcP.jpg
swG9Q5f.jpg
iX1tMY3.jpg

It does have an incredibly thick grind on it thou my edge was close to if not more than 30 dps. I reprofiled mine to 22.5dps, but if I wanted to reprofile it to 17dps I'd be sitting at the grinder for along time.

I've found the for outdoor use a convex edge performed by far the best. It'll do deep cuts or super fine feathers with ease.

Last edited:
Just bought one! The grind is a LITTLE uneven but for the price and it being American quality again... I cant complain. Glad I bought it!

I actually really like mine. I opted for a combo edge, which i know many hate. I actually don't like them on an edc, but for my purposes of a back-up woods bumming blade that might be pressed into general use or need to saw through some rope or fabric, I don't mind them at all.

I was actually looking for a slightly smaller stainless fixed blade over my SOG seal pup. At sub 5", the Strongarm is compact enough to lash to the backside of my nylon maglite holster but remains easy to draw with a firm downward tug. In addition to hiking, it will most likely be my boating blade. It's going to be pretty water resistant and the mounting options will make it nice for sitting in a boat all day. Plus, if it goes "plunk" and drops 40' to the bottom of the lake...well it's nothing worth crying over. I can just grumble and get another one. If I lost one of my HIs or custom Fiddlebacks...well, I might have to take up diving:D

So far, I used mine to shave some fuzz onto some kindling wood in my fireplace the other day. For $50, it seems like a pretty robust "little" knife that could be a jack of all trades when you are looking to save space on a hiking blade and keep it to a budget. I plan on giving a good beating this spring when we clear out some of the drift wood that collects on the banks of the cabin.

$35.00 free shipping, no complaints.
Sharp out of box and easily sharpened in the field
Handel feels great..
Bought it last summer.

DSCN2967_zps2sbovqvk.jpg

DSCN2965_zpsq8aaet6j.jpg

DSCN2969_zpstd2caorv.jpg

For anybody interested, I'm gonna start a sale thread on these soon, but here is a video i made of the sheath adaptor for the Strongarm in case anyone is frustrated with what theirs came with:

[video=youtube;kOREU7h92TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOREU7h92TU[/video]

I recently purchased a Strongarm. Very pleased with it so far. First day I had it, I took it out in the woods and was playing with it. It was shaving sharp out of the box, blade was straight, bevels are grinded almost perfect. I questioned it for being 420HC, but so far it has held its edge well. I feathered some seasoned cedar, batoned through cedar wood that was at least 3" in diameter and very knotty. Crossed batoned as well. Seasoned Cedar is very hard on blades. After a day of working with cedar, using my Tops knife, which is differently heat treated 1095 and are known to hold an edge for a long time, would need to be honed to achieve that razor edge. After using the Strongarm for a few hours, the blade was still shaving sharp, no nicks, rolls, or any apparent damage on the edge. Looks like Gerber knows how to treat their 420HC. The only other stainless steel knives I have are either AUS-8 or 440C. So far the edge retention seems to be on par with the others I mentioned. Pair this knife with my CRKT chogan woods hawk and Im good to go. I also plan to use this as my main edc. Granted, Im not playing commando on the streets or using it to pry open car doors or anything crazy. I figured with Gerber's warranty Im not concerned. Also for $50, if it gets stolen or I lose it some how, Im only out on a $50 knife, not a $150-300 knife. The Strongarm felt to me as a good edc for the edge retention, blade length, and the fact it actually has a decent production sheath. I did modify my sheath to carry it dangler style along with a strap on the bottom around my thigh, which is very secure and my preferred method. I detached the large portion of the nylon belt loop. The thin strap has two snaps that align with the snaps on the large belt loop but both are facing away from the body and when pulled on will cause them.to.unshaken and the knife will fall off. I made a cut in the webbing the same width as the small webbing strap. I seared the webbing with a butane torch lighter so it doesn't fray. I made this cut about a 1/4" under the 2 snaps on the large belt loop on the lower hanging portion that rests against your hips when its on your belt. I ran the small strap through the slit I made and then secured the two snaps. Doing this sutures the small strap in such a way that no matter how it moves or gets pulled, its supported by the webbing of the larger belt loop, the snaps will not come undone. I would post pictures but I cannot since I dont have a paid membership. I realize there is another member who posted here about producing add one for the sheath for carry options, the little mod I made is sufficient should you want to do a dangler style carry until your accessories come in. But doing this mod, you cannot just unsnap the belt loop to and remove with out removing your belt. You will have to undo your belt with this mod or undo the snaps and pull the small strap out through the slit then undo the snaps on the large belt loop to completely remove while leaving your belt on. If anyone is curious as to how this looks or how I did it, just message me and I can send a pic through email .

I recently purchased a Strongarm. Very pleased with it so far. First day I had it, I took it out in the woods and was playing with it. It was shaving sharp out of the box, blade was straight, bevels are grinded almost perfect. I questioned it for being 420HC, but so far it has held its edge well. I feathered some seasoned cedar, batoned through cedar wood that was at least 3" in diameter and very knotty. Crossed batoned as well. Seasoned Cedar is very hard on blades. After a day of working with cedar, using my Tops knife, which is differently heat treated 1095 and are known to hold an edge for a long time, would need to be honed to achieve that razor edge. After using the Strongarm for a few hours, the blade was still shaving sharp, no nicks, rolls, or any apparent damage on the edge. Looks like Gerber knows how to treat their 420HC. The only other stainless steel knives I have are either AUS-8 or 440C. So far the edge retention seems to be on par with the others I mentioned. Pair this knife with my CRKT chogan woods hawk and Im good to go. I also plan to use this as my main edc. Granted, Im not playing commando on the streets or using it to pry open car doors or anything crazy. I figured with Gerber's warranty Im not concerned. Also for $50, if it gets stolen or I lose it some how, Im only out on a $50 knife, not a $150-300 knife. The Strongarm felt to me as a good edc for the edge retention, blade length, and the fact it actually has a decent production sheath. I did modify my sheath to carry it dangler style along with a strap on the bottom around my thigh, which is very secure and my preferred method. I detached the large portion of the nylon belt loop. The thin strap has two snaps that align with the snaps on the large belt loop but both are facing away from the body and when pulled on will cause them.to.unshaken and the knife will fall off. I made a cut in the webbing the same width as the small webbing strap. I seared the webbing with a butane torch lighter so it doesn't fray. I made this cut about a 1/4" under the 2 snaps on the large belt loop on the lower hanging portion that rests against your hips when its on your belt. I ran the small strap through the slit I made and then secured the two snaps. Doing this sutures the small strap in such a way that no matter how it moves or gets pulled, its supported by the webbing of the larger belt loop, the snaps will not come undone. I would post pictures but I cannot since I dont have a paid membership. I realize there is another member who posted here about producing add one for the sheath for carry options, the little mod I made is sufficient should you want to do a dangler style carry until your accessories come in. But doing this mod, you cannot just unsnap the belt loop to and remove with out removing your belt. You will have to undo your belt with this mod or undo the snaps and pull the small strap out through the slit then undo the snaps on the large belt loop to completely remove while leaving your belt on. If anyone is curious as to how this looks or how I did it, just message me and I can send a pic through email .

Great knife for the $35.00 I paid for it on Amazon (black plain edge).
I use the chiral.grolim retention adapter system.

@Diecorpse

Just a side note. I use Imgur to post photos. Works great and no need for a paid membership.

I think you need some coffee first thing in the morning, where would you go besides the forums to find out the answer?

I had no problem carrying its predecessor the lmf upside down on my hunting pack strap. It's an excellent knife. Go get 'em

No way I would buy one. Gerber still doesn't get how to make a knife.

For the same price, I'd get a Becker.

Back