Gerber Strongarm: the fine-edged Prodigy that you have been waiting for

Thanks for the compliments, guys :cool: Not sure a patent would work for this since it's specific to their sheath...

Bobby, I'll send you this prototype free (clip included) if you order a Universal Kydex Sheath Extension :D Otherwise it'd run about $7 +s/h (clip included).

Keep in mind that this is 0.093 black kydex simply because I had that on hand. I could do other colors for same price, or 0.125 black, but I'd need to order materials. Just send me an e-mail. FYI, the AB-3 clip is nylon, I got it from Armory Plastics, LLC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, guys :cool: Not sure a patent would work for this since it's specific to their sheath...

Bobby, I'll send you this prototype free (clip included) if you order a Universal Kydex Sheath Extension :D Otherwise it'd run about $7 +s/h (clip included).

Keep in mind that this is 0.093 black kydex simply because I had that on hand. I could do other colors for same price, or 0.125 black, but I'd need to order materials. Just send me an e-mail. FYI, the AB-3 clip is nylon, I got it from Armory Plastics, LLC.
I'll get in touch with you tomorrow.

Awesome job chiral.grolim , this is exactly what Gerber should've done from the start. The only reason I even bought my kydex sheath for it was bc that nylon junk, other than that I like the factory sheath and now its complete.

Now I don't even need the kydex for it anymore.

HFiJguc.jpg

0gzMxIG.jpg

Dlni0f6.jpg

gXjK7b9.jpg

kVb41IJ.jpg

Awesome job chiral.grolim , this is exactly what Gerber should've done from the start. The only reason I even bought my kydex sheath for it was bc that nylon junk, other than that I like the factory sheath and now its complete.

Now I don't even need the kydex for it anymore.

:thumbup: Happy to serve and thank you for the support. If it rides a bit high, you can get another 3/4" by shifting screw-holes in the clip.

My biggest worry is the strength of that molle-stick holding it in. Let me know if you have durability issues with the design after using it a while. Thanks again for the support!

[emoji106] Happy to serve and thank you for the support. If it rides a bit high, you can get another 3/4" by shifting screw-holes in the clip.

My biggest worry is the strength of that molle-stick holding it in. Let me know if you have durability issues with the design after using it a while. Thanks again for the support!
I was thinking that too, maybe another prototype with the kydex extended past the second clip hole, and wide enough to utilize those 4 holes to further secure it.

Like this maybe?
uWD4OH9.jpg

The ride height is prefect, I prefer the belt mount to be about mid handle on all my sheaths.

I was thinking that too, maybe another prototype with the kydex extended past the second clip hole, and wide enough to utilize those 4 holes to further secure it...

Actually, if screws are an option then I could press the kydex tighter to the sheath and form the bend to allow the top holes to be used (with matching holes drilled through the kydex), and yes a slightly longer base for the next pair of holes if desired, but no need to extend as far as that third pair. My worry is that the tips of the molle-lock could bend or crack under too much pressure, like if the handle snagged on something. A couple screws through the top-holes would eliminate that concern all by themselves.

But the original goal was a snap-in piece, no need for screws. In lieu of screws, you could drill holes in the kydex as it is to match the top pair in the sheath, and then just thread some tether- or paracord around for reinforcement, just something to take pressure off those tips.

I hope Gerber R&D is following this thread :cool:

Actually, if screws are an option then I could press the kydex tighter to the sheath and form the bend to allow the top holes to be used (with matching holes drilled through the kydex), and yes a slightly longer base for the next pair of holes if desired, but no need to extend as far as that third pair. My worry is that the tips of the molle-lock could bend or crack under too much pressure, like if the handle snagged on something. A couple screws through the top-holes would eliminate that concern all by themselves.

But the original goal was a snap-in piece, no need for screws. In lieu of screws, you could drill holes in the kydex as it is to match the top pair in the sheath, and then just thread some tether- or paracord around for reinforcement, just something to take pressure off those tips.

I hope Gerber R&D is following this thread :cool:
That's true wasn't thinking about the easy change out factor with adding screws... Maybe just extending the kydex down to the next slot or even the third to distribute the pressure a lil in the event it was to become snagged on something..

Either way this current set up is allot better option then what Gerber came up with. I had stopped carrying it before bc of the nylon garbage. Then the only person I found making kydex sheaths for it didn't do taco style sheaths so I was forced to try the one I got which I didn't really like bc of the additional bulkiness that comes with pancake style kydex.

But now thanks to this ive started carrying it again.

Are you planning on producing these further? Ive seen plenty reviews complaining about the nylon on an otherwise great factory sheath.

Are you planning on producing these further? Ive seen plenty reviews complaining about the nylon on an otherwise great factory sheath.

If you know anyone else looking for something like this, especially soldiers who got one of these from the PX, you are welcome to give them my e-mail address or just show them your pics or this thread to point them my way :thumbup:

I'll order some more black and also coyote brown .093 kydex and make a few more with the 4 corner holes added. If folk want them, I'll keep making them.

Nice and useful contribution of chiral.grolim, as far as the sheath etc. is concerned.
BUT which are chiral.grolim 's view and comments about the Strongarm itself?
I have read all his reviews and tests in the past (e.g.: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-amp-Swamp-Rat-HRLM?highlight=gso+4.1+vs+hrlm[/I or http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...n-to-SYKCO-511-SRKW-RatManDu-Cattaraugus-225Q]) and I would like to read his opinion about that specific knife!

Alas, I've been so busy with work and other home projects, i haven't gotten around to another review just yet, but I will try for it soon! I now have that Gerber to try, a Busse Hog Muk, and a few others.

A couple things i would say right away about this Gerber is that it is NOT designed for woodcraft, it is for military personnel, which is not me.
The rubber grip new, with that proud diamond pattern, digs into your skin - it ain't going to slip, but it also isn't as comfortable on bare skin as unpatterned ResC or rough canvas micarta or even the LMFII handle, it is definitely intended for gloved use. After it wears down a bit, I'm sure it will be more comfortable.
I don't need a double-guard on a knife, but soldiers might appreciate it?
The blade is quite thick, the saber-grind granting a lot of strength for prying, and the edge is pretty thick as well. If any folks have trouble using this to carve wood or slice thick materials, the thickness of that edge is the problem - like it was made to pry open crates and doorways. I'll get some measurements and draw up a schematic for a separate review.

Other than those specifics, i generally like the knife :thumbup: I'll get some pics or videos of the knife in use and will try to throw together a review for next month.

While it wasn't designed as a bushcraft knife it can definitely do most tasks relatively easy. My first one before discovering being bent was used extensively for batoning, feathering, carving tent pegs, and trigger sticks. Initially I wasn't too impressed, but after convexing it, the performance drastically changed. It preformed like a completely different knife, It would slice thru material like butter. I could get paper thin feathers, and tent peg and trigger sticks were able to be made much faster.

Now that I have the replacement I haven't felt the need to reprofile It yet. It cuts and slices well with the factory edge this time. I can definitely feel a difference between the grinds on the factory edges, the new one was done right at the factory and incredibly sharp out of the box and still is after a good bit of use.

For the price I think it's a great buy, and can pull double duty. It can be a tactical knife if that's what you need or are into, but can also serve you well as a Bush knife. (After possibly slightly reprofiling it, guess it depends who was sharpening that day at Gerber)

Thanks for the response, chiral.grolim! Your opinion is highly appreciated! I agree with you about the handle, I would like to have a much more comfortable - and thicker - handle (a friend of mine is reminding that the Prodigy is superior as far that point is concerned), without the double guard....
Generally speaking I am satisfied with the Strongarm.
I think that the weight of the knife, as well as the thickness of the blade are classifying that knife to the category of "general utility / outdoors tool" suitable for everything in the woods (except the specific duties of a Mora etc.).
The weight as well as the thickness of the blade are contributing to batoning and chopping (I wish the handle was more thick and comfortable) with the half the price of a SYKCO 511 (for example).
Your measurements and your drawings are always welcome!
I am waiting for your full review!

Re: Gerber StrongArm.
Received today, I easily give it a 10 out of 10 for the knife itself.
While this certainly will not replace my 'Survive! Knives' GSO 4.1 (M-390).... this is an excellent high value knife for the price.
I read about this at the beginning of 2015, I am not and have never been a Gerber Fan(boy), but after reading all the reviews, viewing every video on YouTube... especially the several "Gauntlet Reviews", I bought one on Amazon for $39.15 total.
Read all the online reviews (incl. Amazon, other knife forums etc.) and view the Y.T. 'Gauntlet' videos for all the exact specs.

I regard any review/s by anyone that not only has "never actually owned one" or "never actually had one in hand" to be a non review.

Great value for a very purposeful hard use knife.
The knife steel is no issue for me.
The handle design: ergos/tacky feel are all great.
Insanely sharp on arrival, will probably convex it at some point.
Interesting multi functional (3 or more) sheath design, though many find the snaps can pose some issues.
(There are after market sheaths out there: Kydex or Carbon Fiber)
Light weight: 7.2 oz (204 g) - Overall Weight: 10.9 oz (309 g)
For a knife that is "Made In The U.S.A." it's excellent for what you get at this price point.
It can pry, dig, slice, slash, stab, the spine throws sparks effortlessly.
A lot of fun to use.

Really a steal (no pun intended).

DSCN2965_zpsq8aaet6j.jpg

DSCN2963_zpswkpnd42w.jpg

DSCN2967_zps2sbovqvk.jpg

DSCN2966_zpsduv654cw.jpg

DSCN2969_zpstd2caorv.jpg

DSCN2968_zps60nkc22f.jpg

DSCN2971_zpsmdhyf34j.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, attachment prototype #2 finished, I'll need to clean-up the next version but here is a rough one (not bent quite right, but it gives the idea).

I solved my concern about the tips of the slip-stick by adding a tongue that latches higher on the handle without interfering with sheathing or deployment, and it can be attached/removed without removing the knife. That tongue takes all the pressure of the slip-stick and can endure a lot of flex.

It turns out that the holes on the Strongarm sheath are just too small for standard screw+pillar sets which are 7/32", these holes are ~3/16" :grumpy: Nevertheless, I elongated the base of the extension and drilled holes to fit those of the sheath, so it can be strung with cord for attaching to a vest or adding pouches, etc.

The neck on this one is a bit longer... maybe i should cut it shorter? It still has the holes to accommodate a Tek-lok (large or small), G-clip, AB-3 clip, my own leather belt-loops, etc.

ttD03iKE9IMSFEARZD2WvQxussMJpOP9Vn2btTOg6k8=w788-h1050-no

LAKxmbMQ32FpX_jOb7mOmqxiwFee6RSOl43i0yqaXII=w1280-h960-no

NzKgGnzVkZ11f8bNv57c8AQIbF_vJ7tK1H8reSLzrSg=w788-h1050-no

ektCoE1GjtHHjdhfW3Y6_g_pPgXp2Tapy_6VToerHV4=w366-h1050-no

GpuW_O4heFnaeakpqkX1anDeMaULJ--dPI3gJ14v32Q=w1280-h960-no

mVHDLUAOCxdyrLmvPiHii9HimlITcA0-huiwYIfAjfE=w1280-h960-no

ZyAmdWqgdPx87XXx364snz3EXSx0vTuKNq_GFZ-s9fE=w1280-h960-no

pCGjhxJlIrOcv7VIZ00dG9K66FdmPr3-sB2ZmBGecIE=w1280-h960-no

a4a_TBmnYdyY6J0S7vM1BfbbqZ_K_2GBa6klY63TG6Q=w1280-h960-no

_jXYLDtfdtaGc4m6SGcTfp54Fk8zDI-VLAz9xNJrZzg=w1280-h960-no

c3wx8xvrsbVXh0u67IkqmkarlS6EbVNbWPfdpAJ7v_0=w1280-h960-no

rcgAjjeHuRY3PRY2uQ6h3bkXUD2o5rqBW1a55__ihrU=w1280-h960-no

Dbdia5_7Gq-nLDFwXmdHtXEhLBdptbe0rFsc7Q3eSjw=w788-h1050-no

J-pU9kaCzZYwBMA0gaOJb5fYtc5VJYqmwrQUIytEP8I=w788-h1050-no

Next one will be coyote-brown... and hopefully a bit cleaner looking.

Nice work bud, has anyone emailed you about this yet I've given several guys your email contact

Great design and work Chiral.G.... will get in touch via P.M., I have a black one, so black works. :thumbup:
Always have enjoyed your work and reviews over the last several years.

Alright, attachment prototype #2 finished, I'll need to clean-up the next version but here is a rough one (not bent quite right, but it gives the idea).

I solved my concern about the tips of the slip-stick by adding a tongue that latches higher on the handle without interfering with sheathing or deployment, and it can be attached/removed without removing the knife. That tongue takes all the pressure of the slip-stick and can endure a lot of flex.

It turns out that the holes on the Strongarm sheath are just too small for standard screw+pillar sets which are 7/32", these holes are ~3/16" :grumpy: Nevertheless, I elongated the base of the extension and drilled holes to fit those of the sheath, so it can be strung with cord for attaching to a vest or adding pouches, etc.

The neck on this one is a bit longer... maybe i should cut it shorter? It still has the holes to accommodate a Tek-lok (large or small), G-clip, AB-3 clip, my own leather belt-loops, etc.

ttD03iKE9IMSFEARZD2WvQxussMJpOP9Vn2btTOg6k8=w788-h1050-no

LAKxmbMQ32FpX_jOb7mOmqxiwFee6RSOl43i0yqaXII=w1280-h960-no

NzKgGnzVkZ11f8bNv57c8AQIbF_vJ7tK1H8reSLzrSg=w788-h1050-no

ektCoE1GjtHHjdhfW3Y6_g_pPgXp2Tapy_6VToerHV4=w366-h1050-no

GpuW_O4heFnaeakpqkX1anDeMaULJ--dPI3gJ14v32Q=w1280-h960-no

mVHDLUAOCxdyrLmvPiHii9HimlITcA0-huiwYIfAjfE=w1280-h960-no

ZyAmdWqgdPx87XXx364snz3EXSx0vTuKNq_GFZ-s9fE=w1280-h960-no

pCGjhxJlIrOcv7VIZ00dG9K66FdmPr3-sB2ZmBGecIE=w1280-h960-no

a4a_TBmnYdyY6J0S7vM1BfbbqZ_K_2GBa6klY63TG6Q=w1280-h960-no

_jXYLDtfdtaGc4m6SGcTfp54Fk8zDI-VLAz9xNJrZzg=w1280-h960-no

c3wx8xvrsbVXh0u67IkqmkarlS6EbVNbWPfdpAJ7v_0=w1280-h960-no

rcgAjjeHuRY3PRY2uQ6h3bkXUD2o5rqBW1a55__ihrU=w1280-h960-no

Dbdia5_7Gq-nLDFwXmdHtXEhLBdptbe0rFsc7Q3eSjw=w788-h1050-no

J-pU9kaCzZYwBMA0gaOJb5fYtc5VJYqmwrQUIytEP8I=w788-h1050-no

Next one will be coyote-brown... and hopefully a bit cleaner looking.

Great design and work Chiral.G.... will get in touch via P.M., I have a black one, so black works. [emoji106]
His piece definitely solves the sheath issue for the strongarm. I like the stock sheath now

Nice work bud, has anyone emailed you about this yet I've given several guys your email contact

Thanks, no I haven't received any e-mails on the Strongarm pieces... but that's probably good since I've only made two so far, the one you have (which was decent enough to ship out) and this new one (which is much uglier since i reworked a few times). Hopefully the next couple will be more worthy.

Great design and work Chiral.G.... will get in touch via P.M., I have a black one, so black works. :thumbup:

Look forward to the e-mail :thumbup: I'll get another black one made-up off this design, just less ugly.

Also, I do still intend to review this knife, hopefully will put it into action this week with a review thread to follow in a week or two after that.

Quick question for those following the extension-adaptor: Do you think having those 4 holes matching the 4 holes on the sheath is important? Would it work better or the same with no holes, just the kydex cut so as not to obstruct them? If you don't need screws to secure the attachment, are the holes superfluous? Just thinking about this for the next iteration.

Back