Gerber Strongarm: the fine-edged Prodigy that you have been waiting for

Quick question for those following the extension-adaptor: Do you think having those 4 holes matching the 4 holes on the sheath is important? Would it work better or the same with no holes, just the kydex cut so as not to obstruct them? If you don't need screws to secure the attachment, are the holes superfluous? Just thinking about this for the next iteration.

What I would personally need is to be able to wear it on my belt (hip) and also attach it to the Molle on my pack.
So any way you design it that would allow for those carry's would work. :thumbup:

Thanks for asking!

My apologies for the delay on this, professional obligations have been pressing of late. Here is the next iteration, a slimmed-down version of the attachment. I removed the 4 holes at the base and any obstructing material so that the holes of the sheath are fully accessible. Right now these are still ~6" long overall as that is simply an easy length to work with, but it may ride higher than some would prefer (for example, Bobby's was cut down ~1" per his request).

I would appreciate feedback/concerns. In fact, these two prototypes - one black, one brown - are available upon request and payment of shipping, with chambelona59 and hunter55 getting "first-dibs". I will send them out with the same belt-clip I sent Bobby for his. Here are pics:

P1030873.jpg

P1030874.jpg

P1030875.jpg

P1030876.jpg

P1030877.jpg

P1030878.jpg

P1030879.jpg

P1030880.jpg

P1030881.jpg

Chambelona, included above are images of the sheath attached to the MOLLE webbing of my Sitka. You can also use the slots and holes on the sheath to lash the sheath to packs/equipment as needed, the extension will not get in the way.

A full review of the knife IS coming, I just haven't had time to produce it, and another knife had priority :eek:

Anyway, let me know what you think, what you might like changed, and drop me an e-mail if you want one of these to try first-hand. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chiral, I don't see photos in your post.. just an empty space.
Can anyone see the photos, or empty space?

My apologies for the delay on this, professional obligations have been pressing of late. Here is the next iteration, a slimmed-down version of the attachment. I removed the 4 holes at the base and any obstructing material so that the holes of the sheath are fully accessible. Right now these are still ~6" long overall as that is simply an easy length to work with, but it may ride higher than some would prefer (for example, Bobby's was cut down ~1" per his request).

I would appreciate feedback/concerns. In fact, these two prototypes - one black, one brown - are available upon request and payment of shipping, with chambelona59 and hunter55 getting "first-dibs". I will send them out with the same belt-clip I sent Bobby for his. Here are pics:

yJo2WKdYqqyghlRJiHBllf_e_ZqXSN7wiimKRRUh2D7VjXRxhSBxfMlRqZ87gKJouKoJ9Yu761ZP7TvDELC1-LXWxdxB7EAeFDsaEd2TNCmK7AMdWQNdPq0CUYyF-kKaiUA2EI1l_CakgWMv1zxBzuj-L0GCcu6DqLtS8euy1x1eVq19PFpxaUAzDk75QhgVaHREX6yj6RbK9qY6ptw-swAWY2E6iplmaC-enmyUAGcq4IoKbraYEg90YL6zBwZgAR4vWhLdk406dBb_g1JApfxs8CvDytFxVfKfbXOK5gQLHwKFkR7eYyFmjRh6m3IvLZh7h4K3Hr4FBWpoFaq6WoGiwKeCgAxVkoHnSK5pX_qJsyvWfFHU0xmLf2W6saQIa-DZD0xZ8qQ7dg7Xi-B525ms-XBnK4hsf9JB8jiGb-e1AhhXch17BGkaStXiLBsWSxwSPMtnyVei8QWG-juBExTZpWOtvNhwE0GVNiBXZL0qCDtqhyGcTyr9_ZoE6dsm9nSIKB9LimWGDiYrsmYie9Y=w1280-h960-no

3gz_ZNXJaz8Yc4g90vP3qV6c0E8lYNYgReOc8pXw1H6-fQvNssVfnmawu_OSfgAuFXhy6bnSIn73EQNwLPjMpZQWYhsybRXYbW3SpZkfpTANyEBX_nmIegz-Q4HvZ1e9n5Loow9F-ho3zNPWf29ZioDFY2-FkdpYhXvCoL8Ah1-erMjtavs8MWGIsXvCjCKHH_9RVpDOFeNaJE1WJ7ROBsxA2-0bsk2CevTfh9DWVhL5e22573YddGCkYTJGA1ArDemE4hA_0FJkO8oP1AYRBm8usqsLQVtm0tcVvEb-Nu-fpcH_1uOVSiI7zVkzqWfpm13-ZnwPsMTYjQK7bkoThYZXIXZQ5IuxCMAaVJfY85TcDtf0huybKL0mDB6U_b9H_FdJAwBABtsJkZacKek8UG2qE5e_plb6rZykFrTPDw_O-YSgEUUnOHS00r7axzwcl2EpK47aQd3eljin6PVgLA59VeqfJcUuGIehquycvVcCSrzUYbhxqr3cJ2RIpojkKc041zz8BebsgQ29zWI-oqA=w513-h1050-no

1H1fQ58xA98wS9eETtFQ61fX9wcWkElfEUb2ol0g8_90EeJbteuLJBdglyd-2WY5TBm0N3uGp8ZZRJIjMjkZn6Cg0S4v7KyVIza6beGmmM47E2Uxn1145UYXGbQpb5ISyTZ_oK8v69ePPz4JEqGSdoIsvAj3b7geddLC-TJD6dM3GxyVIPZFLvusSqK_KC6dvqv7jbQ8TD5tlo2BCvgQwZvLb_KyrzkBP6FyheEIy40PqqTGGQFFP4jvGT2MjQF8n7EGv6E3Nq32Z8W7Url-uE_yFcGMop-uqF4sGoXW7RPsKDei_K7TP5cFRJI4PaB2RYzshaopEb2xi7gkW1R4YTS3jcNtbATS9aCVd_VCx18mPt9g-tmFsCV6Fqv5_OyNuE5CD8-EpAtb43yia9-K-Ln6izdGT4yMtTLXjBVlzItK0wspQz7PpdXIRVmBQMxBKrWq29vuShGHVL1TPf4-SmxHS3Q_IooZnAXUIEFOHr-aLdDtaLhFraJqDosDH5e5pdwyNzCIUKyIDNwNCbeQfHk=w1280-h960-no

pTbQr20JCdL9jZhSKiBuN8p82lFpWRlH4lRFmjqGxFEypv6bIj17ehbHutDBsNEKAzeWLH9YbuZOga7rCQboktSE5nPZql2W11QfCQo3TDkieiCDLtZb6pJldKe-JRSo9WcNzsdA4mYQ3TsZbxvP3hM02Y4wAipzlIe4q41iIx2HMwBLKD-mlAfe8KEsDWoPY12C8GtGtMjnavdYeMUiIsmKh3KyvwcJfgoeIM7947TTMNnjhRNAyNef3niUJqHWA42c4sDmlVbz04s8Im-VZu12bxIjpC1OOihHmMtbxA15cJCEhzyjcrf6NmlHH_jvaa0SeLDIQxImX4Nzywvh6zs_xIfFVgiIdy435JGei4I4qHlJh-8GO9Wa669f-eifI8r4VTPuNe7qHUUMEiqso43qyzc0-g45TBPevmVv0dUYa7YozN-fqk4leDNLUlYavSHS33N_oush1_jhwqeWLc7SYrjdDwIIU-ItMaEi_wkCwtfnhGdNOF5H3m3ZaNZnIvTshazmu2r9in0pqjJoFLE=w1280-h960-no

j3D3UGCV2LLhTBi7oB21TZGm0edF1x_4eHZr4QCyxikCYRowcjGSPP6eKvVjHeSlhklBU_Ln4o68JJTieVROLgqp6G8N0ur2L5BpOY3WoVQY2RtigpYJAeohdudXPAY_ogfYzy3sqARF004r69yiJ13tSG8t2NxFLpUS1hYGMuN85gABJS5iy_Ex-oZA6flmUqb5_feePm5d9WMGSj-t54XUZkG5ntXDnIz4MrF2d55fgSysg2pEtsMAZt0AoTqb3Gtki4JIaZL6z3AUSdvN735xVk7redfVQfviYKmRo5fW4h-Q7uq7zP3VsK0Yd3iXYzo-fWa7wBxfTROQmBqUN1_mEi-Qz6alNmwQFq49uuFmiG8VdbJ8EIS6cY8SV6CsPdUwsfeMbkBK5I0AOtcYpEsvwg2RXeGumGNwaV_ERn8YXQ_Sf0xOJZpm3OcyMfR_Ouy8_JcWziNj5j6etVt0V8HypaLF_FPEvC3Mte0kiKjWHCps7lrgKH4PfFRzUZ5kIKSjO1XW63UTCmYrIBdOpw4=w1280-h960-no

JINy6_78G3qOataMyTxFrCSxfPh509_UJBXJUjzZ9FJdSo_eXCnZ3FsmLhwzzb7Z6IJ6-fEeRUxGlfwYtpHiu4IJyvLHxR_CW0-IU4kTaPT9YgjL_Jacvoos8WgP2epOsOt7YM4SVRO7matpfyondWxUzpvE5iV45QFNibgLEMSQtwgn7jDvBnxwKCUf457m3qzgZdY_yTbn0yi47KdWakSCtxtMjsOuFo0tFiH8-0RIRi5HJjDat_OOPb49mYBFrHtn7bDqne75GEDP0nQvOSAWWNZH7zvmvtqmok19jihMEmZhCfw9pXoCWMbMxrfaQvDs3AfQijwL5JqUeaoG1vSXPIWeme16FvKzXdg0tyWLRJPHylo6atrIn5vV2yuK5hmdcRvVnLVx-1bRoE6gAoLTXfHPVsB7KElJJXLm0eMNK0deUHjvTBkTdYRsyI9jd5wdmHjTePPQZtS4b0knZYsFPqBp3CbnkGAvj5Go8OdKg3PBy3Nb4fTTqzOP4hxN-IS4D1GXEuoovOQDpCxRCHI=w1280-h960-no

YG-Dg7sdUhSfGktXNTLx38oy6x8uJcUAJTSWu-jB8gm5GTvmjNvPmPFGXqiv8mvNloprPmzPU9SiShjZdwMQ2r-NEocaNNGHbP_FSYGiBEKdQv2O1iloCrVNW0Q0_2ZSqn-UOy_Q1bC5BZC3OYhAwzZ6MHUxUoEQelorv3Ip-w60GC6tVnSq-z0l_iqgwgH_XVOqSKgWL2bc83gKH5yZkY2WyajKC0gMg6ZwMc4VqCeIcOE8YA6akrpsOuJ23sF7AlLd2YRWW8mSJFQcLNMQMLETr835wu3t4WxGDE4nCNbHe8j_fU6iQklbLMfCAu8ouObJQTVFO5GVhlFVpfa9kjwJlRJgLJ8xUpUXl0DDbGQjWYSzHqBP0x3Dnw4Tj3D94xoLZpRIf_hJH88xvipkvU5OSlfgZA6kD0Ha-WMrZNhIJJ6Kh2PA4atzHce15YUv5QYPQbv9Y2eMc_jDWxFa4jQ7xbODcL1GFTtqw7zEtTQ0Xbd6YkeoVkY7TctxqoBqPjDQDTvYhK2bp_lj52WW_GQ=w1280-h960-no

SuHBCGwIOD8EnVxU_GCdp9Etaac1Q1oQgdIZRxuAODQWOwTF2pKVPvJwM9HUGYrCMg6mEVvHrPbTSlKELICsQh_kniTWqaLrZEiySXJR8jB_aHjZKK0wwbxOt2QZq2v89omVjy6I8ZwWG16WMJAKanjSKMUPUgx9_b7tTpMEVtyIKDguZENadgnKRV7_-14MLKaYvE1jqOhD9J9xbuFm1MHIOf03Ac5hpUDm7NfX0s9nM5sGXqy-WgYTm6Huyo-ZimSjPQovls1zas2yYgYVDyANTNhqbEdD-PVQjpk0khSSnlbQYGC3clhm5UHnCvTWPwsd6iHWW1f6OTc3vnkSV5b74sU4_iACn8GI9smbZWVmos-8EwCO6ZGOCn29aQvPC3GduHj343J8i_Rp5sFGXFOPskSzSpYWT4BVbS9bhp0lVRrKulSEQMuQ_q2r4lYbzM726A2t_VpixYO8Gu26VrfEsllZ85K0q2LJO_FG-2zVb_djl0HnODo5_ha86DNPtUjayUyPYE8APp7XzLzvMyg=w1280-h960-no

8FcGp0SVx4f9pNEI4FcODYd0IlyExLcYNXvOQCxk_rFS3BQ0ILNA52rSL7xTHcfrJGb-lMQ0mzQfdVhFhsXm0LALjTqgAMcemrIfhg5U5-wKDlS9DyO_rBnb-VXQcmI26gOhvSppnyqhQY4tB-AbP65sGnVpjI-vnHAQGjUNFkDvvXQeKJ9mmvHOrfXb7YShFyD0_wneekYiFThu-AutNcR3rSHO9iws6_cNFrGFS55kULBQqrUxUCU6E0oEysEDBDdACBrPrDqvmKBS6_1fH-pH20jPeJXfc-KGxXfnHtkQEU3hu_9ph5qDQW0F1ZGGOo2qfTM2uklwRj3UCjWfAqUR8wl0QpnIbGYx2mkQ0B4T53diC14VKjm-ptLaj5pQ2QvO2hXVtG88fA0g9lo7vazLOFQhjkYg5oGpyBIJFrC39BHwGwbz7uaKqeKivIjvHBGtn3vlCon3UOaPZUZGTYZEFXSGBgv4IDuS_NL59LaDNPfgdSNcK-kAdw35GLRDysi4ehmLvRCizfKABAsnuBQ=w788-h1050-no

Chambelona, included above are images of the sheath attached to the MOLLE webbing of my Sitka. You can also use the slots and holes on the sheath to lash the sheath to packs/equipment as needed, the extension will not get in the way.

A full review of the knife IS coming, I just haven't had time to produce it, and another knife had priority :eek:

Anyway, let me know what you think, what you might like changed, and drop me an e-mail if you want one of these to try first-hand. Thanks!

Chiral, I don't see photos in your post.. just an empty space.
Can anyone see the photos, or empty space?

I wonder what's up ... Do you get e-mails with the embedded link, or can you right-click the space to access the link? I can see the photos from 3 different computers, including a Mac, they're embedded from google's picasa photo-storage site accessed through my gmail account.

Here is a link to the album: https://goo.gl/photos/4pCDWRMDXnwMW19Y6

Can no one see these new photos? What about the older photos I posted? I wonder if google changed something about the way the links are coded... the addresses are certainly longer when I embed them...

Alright, I modified the links by going directly through picasa rather than "google photos", let me know if that worked for those who couldn't see them before.

Alright, I modified the links by going directly through picasa rather than "google photos", let me know if that worked for those who couldn't see them before.

Yep, that link worked fine, great clear photos.
Thanks.
Sent you an E.M.

Last edited:
Bought the strongarm....and, thought what sheath configuration am I missing; I see the belt horizontal carry, but was thinking more like that for a vertical carry as well. What's the thought or any tips on an IWB type clip for the sheath?

Just recently purchased the knife myself, and gotta say I love the fit/feel of the knife. I actually am a big fan of Gerber, really love the USA made products. I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed the smudges near the guard along the blade? I attempted cleaning it off, thinking it was just grease/oil, even tried some goo-gone and a 3M sponge, but its still on the blade. It's not really a problem, just wasn't sure what it was or if anyone else had any ideas as to what it was. I've seen it on some other pics on here as well...

Bought the strongarm....and, thought what sheath configuration am I missing; I see the belt horizontal carry, but was thinking more like that for a vertical carry as well. What's the thought or any tips on an IWB type clip for the sheath?

AED, drop me a line if you're interested in that attachment piece pictured in posts above. As for IWB, do you mean you want to carry the sheath against your body beneath your waist-band? If so, I doubt it would be very comfortable, the sheath has some pokey corners to it. If you mean having it clip onto our waste-band or a belt, see this post:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...have-been-waiting-for?p=15104304#post15104304

...I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed the smudges near the guard along the blade? I attempted cleaning it off, thinking it was just grease/oil, even tried some goo-gone and a 3M sponge, but its still on the blade. It's not really a problem, just wasn't sure what it was or if anyone else had any ideas as to what it was. I've seen it on some other pics on here as well...

I cannot see your pics, they do not appear to have a URL address, did you upload them to a website before linking them?

In any case, I think i know what you are talking about, my own Strongarm has "smudges" in the finish from the sheath, it is a common thing with plastic sheaths rubbing the finish of blades, but it ensures a non-rattle fit.

I highly recommend chiral.grolims' snap in piece...It's holding up great and he's since improved it. It's what this knife should've come with from the factory. It makes the knife complete imo.

The strongarm is the best budget blade Gerber has to offer right now. The only complaint I keep seeing about it is the factory edge, which is just silly. It's not a high end custom and for everyone to expect prefect bevels on a mass produced production knife is absurd. Mine came sharp but was far from prefect, but I was easily able to fix it in about 15 minutes. It takes a ridiculously sharp edge, so if you're not happy with the factory edge just sharpen it..
T9Xg19E.jpg
puXdacy.jpg

KaIWF70.jpg
o5rNexl.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a high end custom and for everyone to expect prefect bevels on a mass produced production knife is absurd.

Spot on!

In addition, as I previously stated, I have purchased higher end factory pieces,custom and mid-tech blades that had bad grinds and dull edges. Knives costing many times over what this one does with the same type of flaws that some folks are complaining about in regard to the Strongarm.
Some of my favorite "go to" blades had to be totally reprofiled when I first bought them. I have several times purchased multiples of a given model and had some be close to perfect and some dull as a butter knife. Purchased at the same time and from the same seller. Not so perfect or bad grinds and edges do occur. Some fall through the cracks and some never have a good level of QC to begin with. It is what it is.
All this being said I suppose I could get something so bad that it was almost beyond help but I don't recall that happening unless memory fails.
I did have one occasion where a custom maker assured me that the model I ordered would be "deadly" sharp, scary sharp. The knife I received had an edge that would barely qualify as a blunt object! In that case because of his anal smoke blowing I returned the knife for sharpening.
He sharpened (not re-sharpened) it and returned it with humble apologies. The edge was still not as sharp as he said it would be but was at least serviceable.

Do a enough research and you will find lots of gripes about these issues in regard to multitudes of knives and makers. It happens.

Spot on!

In addition, as I previously stated, I have purchased higher end factory pieces,custom and mid-tech blades that had bad grinds and dull edges. Knives costing many times over what this one does with the same type of flaws that some folks are complaining about in regard to the Strongarm.
Some of my favorite "go to" blades had to be totally reprofiled when I first bought them. I have several times purchased multiples of a given model and had some be close to perfect and some dull as a butter knife. Purchased at the same time and from the same seller. Not so perfect or bad grinds and edges do occur. Some fall through the cracks and some never have a good level of QC to begin with. It is what it is.
All this being said I suppose I could get something so bad that it was almost beyond help but I don't recall that happening unless memory fails.
I did have one occasion where a custom maker assured me that the model I ordered would be "deadly" sharp, scary sharp. The knife I received had an edge that would barely qualify as a blunt object! In that case because of his anal smoke blowing I returned the knife for sharpening.
He sharpened (not re-sharpened) it and returned it with humble apologies. The edge was still not as sharp as he said it would be but was at least serviceable.

Do a enough research and you will find lots of gripes about these issues in regard to multitudes of knives and makers. It happens.
Typically one of the first things I do with a new knife is sharpen it to my liking...everyone's use is different, which dictates what type of edge they prefer and you can't expect a mass produced blade to have an edge everyone's going to love ... there has been a few that came with an edge I was content with out of the box but doesn't happen often...

And honestly the edge I keep seeing that they're complaining about really isn't that bad, mine was pretty much the same, and was very sharp atleast. The average Joe who is just looking for a new knife to use is likely to not even notice or care. They likely will only look at one thing, it's sharp and will cut things.

Last edited:
And honestly the edge I keep seeing that they're complaining about really isn't that bad, mine was pretty much the same, and was very sharp atleast. The average Joe who is just looking for a new knife to use is likely to not even notice or care. They likely will only look at one thing, it's sharp and will cut things.

Exactly right!

Mine was shaving sharp out of the box and was ready to use.

When it gets dull I'll........

Exactly right!

Mine was shaving sharp out of the box and was ready to use.

When it gets dull I'll........
The only reason I sharpened mine was to reprofile it, I prefer a thinner edge. Mine was between 50-60° inclusive out the box. I reprofiled it to 45° inclusive and it cuts like a laser now. I can literally shave my face with it, (hotel room boredom lol). It's performance now is in par with my benchmade 162 (minus the obvious edge retention) and for finer tasks and feathering it out performs the 162.
0lfpDiT.jpg

Last edited:
I got a new Strongarm today and I will repeat what others have said. Everything is great except the edge grind. It's obtuse, wavy, uneven, and dull. I can rub my hand on it with a lot of pressure with no discomfort. Nothing some time on the Edgepro can't fix. But still it's a shame such a great knife is given such little attention on the grinder before it ships.

for a $40-$60 knife, with all other things being pretty good, I can accept the edge not being perfect to my liking. Most of us will end up putting it to the angle we prefer anyway.

That is not a bad looking gerber.

Back