Getting back in after 15 years... what should I get??

I didn't expect that but I love your description of the "tacticool" M&P knife with shark teeth. I recently passed on a knife because I thought the glass breaker was silly. As far as BHQ, I bought the most recent special-edition Elementum from them. It took just over a week to get it.

I grew up in a rough place so I catch your drift on experience. I've had some training. I've also spent a lot of time researching defensive encounters. Now I live in a safe place where people have the right to carry and not surprisingly, violent crime is rare. Despite me telling them, my kids have no idea how good they have it. :rolleyes:

Coincidentally, the Naja was my most carried knife of 2019. The blade was plenty strong for my regular cutting needs. The kinds of force that would really damage that blade are well beyond what I'd ask of any folding knife. It's not an ideal shape for SD but if forced, I'm willing to bet that the Naja's lock would fail long before the blade. Thinking about all the folders I own today, probably the best suited for SD is the Bestech Spike. There's no jimping but the contoured scales keep it firmly in hand. It's beautifully optimized for piercing. The action and lock-up are fantastic but the 0.15" blade is a bit thick for my regular cutting tasks.

Bestech-Knives-Spike-Black-G10-SW-BHQ-81587-er-416w.jpg
BHQ takes that long!! I'm so used to prime delivery :(. I almost want to cancel my order and re-order through somewhere else (obviously impatient person here).

After doing a little more research, I've realized a few important things for my journey...
First, the "real" thickness of the CIVIVI Baklash blade is deceiving. I realized I have other knives that have .12" stock and they don't seem close to the thinness of the Baklash. That's because the Baklash blade is only .12" on a very small portion; it quickly thins to a swedge and even thinner to the tip. So, if looking at it top down and all around, the swedge and high hollow grind make it appear (and for all intents and purposes) be much thinner than a more basic flat ground .12" blade. So basically, I'm ok with .12" for maybe a backup knife? if the rest of the knife supports that profile (not too large/hefty handle, not too much more metal taken out of the blade).

Secondly, I'm having too much fun buying and buying without thinking about what I really would want and stick with. I already have 3 knives I want to get rid of and not much left in my budget. Initially, I wanted to experience a wide variety of all the decent budget-friendly stuff I've missed out on over the years. I still want to do that, but I'm running out of money and racking up too many "returns". I've realized, I'm willing to spend a little more $$ on getting really solid options that I can be confident I won't regret.

Essentially, with my newly realized, wiser goals and limitations (limited budget, trying to stop racking up returns, more focus on really solid options) it's hard to justify (IMO) spending around $60-$70 on a CIVIVI, Kizer, Bestech, CJRB that I have to convince myself will be a tough, "tactical" use folder, when I can spend around $15 more for something like a Cold Steel American Lawman, which is already tried and true.

So, from reputation + my limited hands-on experience, I want to hone my focus on offerings from Cold Steel, SOG?, and maybe some newer Chinese folders that really have made an impression on the community. I really want some Benchmades (Contego, Osbourne but hate that the blade length is just under 3.5") but still out of my budget at this point. I have to discipline myself to stick to some type of condition, so for now I'll make that $100 and below. I really wanted to try a Spyderco (I actually used to own a Spyderco Balisong but I don't remember what happened to it) but the common leaf shape does not appeal to me for my particular needs/wants, plus, again, largely above my budget.

With all that being said, I did it again... Late last night, in a vulnerable state, I was comparing the CS AK47 and American Lawman, and ended up purchasing an American Lawman for $85 :eek::mad::(. Having spent $65 on the CIVIVI Vexer, I'm really anxious to get that in to see if my stated fears are justified. If not, I'll probably be looking to sell/return it to save up for a Benchmade or another Cold Steel. I have more thoughts but I make posts long enough as it is, so, very interested to hear any opinions on this one. Thanks again for all the help guys.

EDIT: It seems like it didn't take me long at all to start falling down that rabbit hole (I think i stated my original budget was around $50?). Sigh...please, don't let me fall too deep. I do have kids to support lol.

You were warned!
But it is really fun, isn't it?

I would put the brakes on the buying for now if I were you. You got a really nice selection of differing styles. Carry each one for a week or two straight. You will learn more about what you REALLY want & need than anything we could tell you. Exponentially more than what some schmuck on YouTube says.
Check in and let us know what you like & dislike about the knives.

Above all enjoy!
And welcome to the addiction.;)

If you have a concern for SD , Cold Steel has many very good folders for this application .

Many come with a wave opening option . Fastest way to open a knife , with some practice .

Gonna cost a bit more than $50 , but well worth it for a knife you can absolutely depend on for SD / emergency use .

DOCJD, you seem to have acquired those 3 with SD in mind. I have the Recon 1 and the American Lawman is on the way, but I really wish they had a version with the wave feature like the ones in your pic. In fact, my only issue with the Recon 1 (and looks like the Lawman as well) is deployment ease/speed... In case you're wondering, I don't really like the blade shape of the top one (I know it's based on that Spyderco designed for SD) and I don't like the handle of the Talwar. If there was a Talwar, with a more neutral handle (like the Recon 1 or that top one), I'd be very interested.
You were warned!
But it is really fun, isn't it?

I would put the brakes on the buying for now if I were you. You got a really nice selection of differing styles. Carry each one for a week or two straight. You will learn more about what you REALLY want & need than anything we could tell you. Exponentially more than what some schmuck on YouTube says.
Check in and let us know what you like & dislike about the knives.

Above all enjoy!
And welcome to the addiction.;)
I'm trying to put the brakes on... Problem with carrying right now is I'm stuck working at home due to the pandemic. I get excited the once every 2 weeks or so I get to go out for an hour for groceries, but that's pretty much it for carrying. Also stuck inside with some little ones, so it's not like I can go out in the backyard and cut up some sticks for no reason either (which I would probably be doing if I could lol).

wave feature
:) Most Cold Steel folders that aren't wave opening from the factory can be easily modified with a aftermarket devise from Snaggletooth Tactical .

It's hard to see but the American Lawman has the Snaggletooth mod added here , whereas the Ultimate Hunter is stock .

Snaggletooth from other side view , on a Frenzy (at top) :

Last edited:
BHQ takes that long!! I'm so used to prime delivery :(. I almost want to cancel my order and re-order through somewhere else (obviously impatient person here).

After doing a little more research, I've realized a few important things for my journey...
First, the "real" thickness of the CIVIVI Baklash blade is deceiving. I realized I have other knives that have .12" stock and they don't seem close to the thinness of the Baklash. That's because the Baklash blade is only .12" on a very small portion; it quickly thins to a swedge and even thinner to the tip. So, if looking at it top down and all around, the swedge and high hollow grind make it appear (and for all intents and purposes) be much thinner than a more basic flat ground .12" blade. So basically, I'm ok with .12" for maybe a backup knife? if the rest of the knife supports that profile (not too large/hefty handle, not too much more metal taken out of the blade).

Secondly, I'm having too much fun buying and buying without thinking about what I really would want and stick with. I already have 3 knives I want to get rid of and not much left in my budget. Initially, I wanted to experience a wide variety of all the decent budget-friendly stuff I've missed out on over the years. I still want to do that, but I'm running out of money and racking up too many "returns". I've realized, I'm willing to spend a little more $$ on getting really solid options that I can be confident I won't regret.

Essentially, with my newly realized, wiser goals and limitations (limited budget, trying to stop racking up returns, more focus on really solid options) it's hard to justify (IMO) spending around $60-$70 on a CIVIVI, Kizer, Bestech, CJRB that I have to convince myself will be a tough, "tactical" use folder, when I can spend around $15 more for something like a Cold Steel American Lawman, which is already tried and true.

So, from reputation + my limited hands-on experience, I want to hone my focus on offerings from Cold Steel, SOG?, and maybe some newer Chinese folders that really have made an impression on the community. I really want some Benchmades (Contego, Osbourne but hate that the blade length is just under 3.5") but still out of my budget at this point. I have to discipline myself to stick to some type of condition, so for now I'll make that $100 and below. I really wanted to try a Spyderco (I actually used to own a Spyderco Balisong but I don't remember what happened to it) but the common leaf shape does not appeal to me for my particular needs/wants, plus, again, largely above my budget.

With all that being said, I did it again... Late last night, in a vulnerable state, I was comparing the CS AK47 and American Lawman, and ended up purchasing an American Lawman for $85 :eek::mad::(. Having spent $65 on the CIVIVI Vexer, I'm really anxious to get that in to see if my stated fears are justified. If not, I'll probably be looking to sell/return it to save up for a Benchmade or another Cold Steel. I have more thoughts but I make posts long enough as it is, so, very interested to hear any opinions on this one. Thanks again for all the help guys.

EDIT: It seems like it didn't take me long at all to start falling down that rabbit hole (I think i stated my original budget was around $50?). Sigh...please, don't let me fall too deep. I do have kids to support lol.

Shipping is long from a lot of places right now. Places still have limited staff from the pandemic. USPS is running slowly. Even my Amazon Prime stuff is still taking longer than usual.

Generally, "blade thickness" or "stock thickness" is measured at the thickest point for stat purposes. Lots of knives taper as the run towards the tip. There are also other issues that matter for cutting such as the angle of the grind, flat vs hollow grind, thickness behind the edge, etc.

It all depends on what you do with it but like I was saying about my Naja, the Baklash might be more sturdy than it appears. I'd recommend making it your primary EDC for a while. Carry it and use it. Put some miles on it, so to speak. You could consider it an exercise in patience or an intense journey of firsthand experience. You could do that on all of these knives. :)

:) Most Cold Steel folders that aren't wave opening from the factory can be easily modified with a aftermarket devise from Snaggletooth Tactical .

It's hard to see but the American Lawman has the Snaggletooth mod added here , whereas the Ultimate Hunter is stock .

Snaggletooth from other side view , on a Frenzy (at top) :
Wow. Thanks for all the pics and info. I'm definitely gonna look into that mod. I would've DM you but I guess it's not an option on this forum? Anyway, it's obvious you're well experienced with CS folders and have some of the same preferences I do for knives. I'm very interested in your opinion if i'm making solid choices so far and your recommendations for others (not just CS). I was really debating between the Lawman and the AK47. Do you like any other brand knives for SD/tactical carry? (been eyeing SOG Seal XR and Benchmade Contego) I'll also mention that I prefer to keep it 3.5" to 4" blade length. I'm guessing there is a sub-forum for this and I'll probably get modded for getting too specific here but, only one way to find out!

I was really debating between the Lawman and the AK47.

The AK-47 is a great knife. Very aggressive handle scales (unless that one has recently been switched over to smoother G10, as the current-year Recon 1 seems to have been?), unabashedly a tactical knife; comes with the wave/thumb plate and includes a striking pommel, and the grip encapsulates your hand. I wound up preferring my Emersons in this size range, but it's an easy one to recommend.

fc8qfeb.jpg

I didn't love my Lawman, but there's nothing wrong with it; I just prefer other knives in that size range. Solid and popular EDC knife, slim and strong. Very people-friendly blade shape and size.

I don't like the feel of the SnaggleToothMF's little hexagonal thumb stud, but that's my only quibble with it. Dead simple to install and fits a wide range of Cold Steel (and other) folders.

Since you're looking outside of your original budget now, I'll second some recommendations. The CS Frenzy is amazing; don't overlook the humble Voyagers, especially the XL versions; and definitely look into the large Espada. :D

hC5V9H1.jpg

Tsn2cF4.jpg

Voyager Vaquero XL with SnaggleToothMF installed is the second from the top in the below photo. I hate the Ti-Lite's liner lock (top knife), but lots of folks like that one. The Spartan (third knife) is a beast, but I prefer the 4-Max Scout to it in every way.

5rGOTLl.jpg

cpyLa0g.jpg

If you find you like waved knives, the waved Para Military 2 is fantastic.

s7ZAcCT.jpg

The AK-47 is a great knife. Very aggressive handle scales (unless that one has recently been switched over to smoother G10, as the current-year Recon 1 seems to have been?), unabashedly a tactical knife; comes with the wave/thumb plate and includes a striking pommel, and the grip encapsulates your hand. I wound up preferring my Emersons in this size range, but it's an easy one to recommend.

fc8qfeb.jpg

I didn't love my Lawman, but there's nothing wrong with it; I just prefer other knives in that size range. Solid and popular EDC knife, slim and strong. Very people-friendly blade shape and size.

I don't like the feel of the SnaggleToothMF's little hexagonal thumb stud, but that's my only quibble with it. Dead simple to install and fits a wide range of Cold Steel (and other) folders.

Since you're looking outside of your original budget now, I'll second some recommendations. The CS Frenzy is amazing; don't overlook the humble Voyagers, especially the XL versions; and definitely look into the large Espada. :D

hC5V9H1.jpg

Tsn2cF4.jpg

Voyager Vaquero XL with SnaggleToothMF installed is the second from the top in the below photo. I hate the Ti-Lite's liner lock (top knife), but lots of folks like that one. The Spartan (third knife) is a beast, but I prefer the 4-Max Scout to it in every way.

5rGOTLl.jpg

cpyLa0g.jpg

If you find you like waved knives, the waved Para Military 2 is fantastic.

s7ZAcCT.jpg
I definitely am still interested in the AK47, even more so with your picture lol. Everytime I see it I want to buy it. I love everything about it except how big the pommel is. It adds like an extra inch? To the handle. I like a good pommel, in fact wished all my knives had some sort of pommel, but for that knife I would have preferred if it was smaller to make the overall size smaller and lighter. For a 3.5 in blade that knife is heavier and thicker than the Recon 1.

Thanks for all the pics. Didn't know you were a CS fan too! I think you might've missed what I said in an earlier post tho, I really can't carry those huge options. Only interested in 3.5-4" blades.i guess overall length would make more sense to talk about so I guess around 10"? Whatever the length of the Recon 1 is about the biggest I would go. Plus I really would prefer a more neutral handle aka not the huge curving end of most of CS big boys like the Voyager.

So I ordered a 3 pack of the Delrin Snaggletooth's. My biggest concern when looking at them was the thumbstud. So, I'm even more concerned now after your comment about not liking the thumbstud :(. I actually really like the rounded original thumbstud of the Recon 1. It's like with my CQC-4KXL. I don't like that the wave is kind of the only opening option for me right now. I know it still has to break in, but rn with the strong detent and that thumbplate, it tears up my thumb whenever I try to deploy it manually. I say try, because even flicking with my thumbnail and wrist I've both torn up my thumbnail and have had multiple failure to deploys. Don't like that at all for a tactical knife..

I did come across that Spyderco with wave feature but I forgot what I didn't like about it (probably the price). I'll look into it again. My Lawman comes in today. I hope it lives up to my expectations, which I think it will.

I forgot about your preference for blades no longer than 4", sorry about that. :oops: I'm a huge CS fan and get pretty excited about their jumbo knives. :D

I did come across that Spyderco with wave feature but I forgot what I didn't like about it (probably the price).

There are less expensive factory-waved Spydies than the PM2 for sure. The Dragonfly (tiny!), Delica (3"), and Endura (3.8") all have waved versions with comfortable neutral handles for under $100.

There's also a company that makes an aftermarket wave mod for Spyderco knives; it's called the 5x5 PickPocket. It's aluminum and slots into the Spydie hole. They're much more model-specific than the SnaggleTooth, so you kind of have to know which Spydie you want to mod before buying it. It makes the knife quite wide, as you can imagine, but it does open up longer Spydies like the Police for waving.

I forgot about your preference for blades no longer than 4", sorry about that. :oops: I'm a huge CS fan and get pretty excited about their jumbo knives. :D

There are less expensive factory-waved Spydies than the PM2 for sure. The Dragonfly (tiny!), Delica (3"), and Endura (3.8") all have waved versions with comfortable neutral handles for under $100.

There's also a company that makes an aftermarket wave mod for Spyderco knives; it's called the 5x5 PickPocket. It's aluminum and slots into the Spydie hole. They're much more model-specific than the SnaggleTooth, so you kind of have to know which Spydie you want to mod before buying it. It makes the knife quite wide, as you can imagine, but it does open up longer Spydies like the Police for waving.
Just out of curiosity, do you collect those CS jumbos just for fun, or do you actually carry them for use (SD/tactical or just for fun)?

Man, I really do like that Spyderco PM2 wave... except the blade length. I know I'm probably getting picky to the point of annoying at this point, but if it had the blade length of the Endura, I'd probably impulse buy it (even though it's way out of my budget lol). I may keep a lookout for deals or what not...
I want a Spyderco, I want to try that compression lock, I want a Spydie with that saber grind, non-leaf blade design. On the flip side, if the Endura had G10 scales (really dislike the look/feel of that FRN), and any lock but a lockback (not interested in lockbacks unless it's a Tri-Ad), I'd also be more likely to pull the trigger.

I'm being random at this point but I feel like I wanted to mention that I didn't carry the SOG Flash II for 15 years by choice, necessarily. I'm starting to remember what I used to have.. So, 15 years ago, I had IMO a decent collection. From what I remember, I had that Spyderco Balisong, I had a BM42, a Griptillian, and maybe another SOG or Kershaw that I can't recall along with some cheapie "tacticool" Smith & Wesson knives that aren't even worth remembering. I gave the BM42 away to a good friend, and the rest of my collection was stolen, leaving me with that Flash II, an Al Mar SERE Operator (which looks different than the most recent model I see online, guessing they changed it over the years), and a Kershaw Crown. I was so bummed I spent so much money and my stuff got stolen. That, along with life happening, I didn't even think about buying another knife until a few weeks ago--thus the 15 year hiatus.

EDIT: If it wasn't apparent, I'm also trying to balance my choices between passing off as a tool vs. obvious weapon of assassination for legal purposes. I do have a CCW, but it is expired. After I renew it, I suppose I won't have to worry so much about that factor...ANOTHER EDIT: After receiving my Spyderco Sharpmaker in the mail, I realized, I'm 99% I had one of these 15 years ago too(stolen)... Isn't it crazy how life can make you forget some things that were once important to you. And then you see/feel something again and you get flashbacks of struggling to keep the blade vertical while being an impatient, finnicky teen...

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do you collect those CS jumbos just for fun, or do you actually carry them for use (SD/tactical or just for fun)?

Bit of both, but as a general rule I don't buy anything I won't carry.

The Vaquero is a "house-only" knife. I've pocketed the Espada around the house, but I can't recall carrying it anywhere else. The Frenzy and my other XL Voyager have been carried; the Frenzy in particular carries like a much smaller, lighter knife due to its smooth G10 and form factor.

A Recon 1 with one of your SnaggleTooth mods installed really does seem like the sweet spot for you. It's not an eyebrow-raising self-defense knife, it's tough as nails, it's not terribly heavy, and it's not called the "MurderTron Killmaster" like some other options out there. ;)

On the Spydie front, if you haven't already checked out the YoJumbo it might be worth a look: G10, compression lock, 4" blade, self defense-oriented knife. ~$160, though.

A Recon 1 with one of your SnaggleTooth mods installed really does seem like the sweet spot for you. It's not an eyebrow-raising self-defense knife, it's tough as nails, it's not terribly heavy, and it's not called the "MurderTron Killmaster" like some other options out there. ;)
Lol. MurderTron Killmaster... I was even skeptical about a knife called the American Lawman... Speaking of that..it came in. And I have very mixed feelings. Will update shortly.. Hint: totally missed how THIN this thing is. Tactical tough Cold Steel folder? First impression makes me feel like it's more of a thin, stout-bladed gentleman's knife. Idk

Btw, another reason why I'm hesitant about the AK47.. I mean can you imagine saying in court "I thought they named it that for it's utility?"

... I do have a CCW, but it is expired. After I renew it, I suppose I won't have to worry so much about that factor...

That could be a factor here. What exactly does having a CCW permit change in your state? Is it the limited kind that gets tied to a particular firearm or does it open up new categories of things you can legally carry? For instance, does it affect what kinds of knife you can carry?

That could be a factor here. What exactly does having a CCW permit change in your state? Is it the limited kind that gets tied to a particular firearm or does it open up new categories of things you can legally carry? For instance, does it affect what kinds of knife you can carry?
I'm actually not sure about knives. I only know what it changes for firearms. Open carry is legal in my state. The knife laws (without a CCW) are considerably vague compared to other state's laws I've heard. For instance, there is no explicit mention of length in the code. They basically refer to a few specific items being illegal to carry (e.g. throwing stars, butterfly knives) and then describe all others with some language like "any item resembling a dirk, bowie...".

I'm actually not sure about knives. I only know what it changes for firearms. Open carry is legal in my state. The knife laws (without a CCW) are considerably vague compared to other state's laws I've heard. For instance, there is no explicit mention of length in the code. They basically refer to a few specific items being illegal to carry (e.g. throwing stars, butterfly knives) and then describe all others with some language like "any item resembling a dirk, bowie...".

It would be worth finding out for sure. Various fixed blades might actually be on the table now and renewing your license could open a lot of doors. That could relieve your folder choice of defensive requirements. While you can still enjoy a tactical folder, I find a refreshing freedom in want versus need.

So the American Lawman...

I definitely formed some expectations from the Recon 1...thought, this is just awesome, would love to have other knives with these qualities (thick strong blade, reliable locking mechanism, great handle all-around: grippy, just thick enough, good ergos, great weight). First impressions of the American Lawman: much thinner handle than I expected, blade appears shorter than I expected, way lighter than I expected. (Yes, I did review the specs before pulling the trigger, but alas, it was another late-night semi-impulse buy.) When I first held it in my hand I thought, how can this be the same tough knife that people have torture tested and raved about? It looks like I can squeeze these scales together with my bare hands (I thought). How can this be a real CS tactical knife when the handle feels so disproportionate to the blade (thickness)? Did I really get my money's worth here? Shows what I know...

I decided to carry it out on my second round of errands for the day. Pulled it out a few times to open some packages, cut some cardboard up, cut open some knotted plastic grocery bags. I found myself appreciating the slim profile. I can easily see this being a comfortable, capable EDC for me. It definitely feels tough. It definitely cuts well. The tip seems strong and easy to manipulate for some more delicate tasks (I found myself actually using that 50/50 choil that I complained about earlier in this thread :rolleyes:). It feels like a great utility EDC knife in my inexperienced opinion.

As far as tactical goes, idk. I'm gonna get picky again here, but I feel like CS could've gone 1 or 2 mm thicker on the scales and made this knife more "tactical". OR, what if they had just kept the SS liners like in the previous generation of this knife? Maybe I just really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm gonna be honest at the risk of losing any credibility I might have garnered in my short time here, but right now, if I heard someone just break in and the only two choices I had for weapons were the American Lawman and my Kershaw Emerson CQC-8k (same length blade [kind of, will talk about that in a sec], but thicker, more substantial-feeling handle, I'd probably pick up the CQC-8k.

Second thing I have to mention. I thought the blade seemed short for 3.5", so I held it up next to my other 3.5" knives, the CQC-8K, and the CIVIVI Baklash. I lined them up right where the blade emerges from the handle at the spine. Both the CQC-8k and Baklash were longer (especially the Baklash which is immediately noticeably longer than the other two.) Before I started freaking out I broke out my measuring tape and sure enough, the American Lawman is 3.5" from where the scales stop to the blade tip. So, manufacturer's measure blade length inconsistently?? Handling the CQC-8k and especially the Baklash for the past couple weeks I felt good about 3.5". Anything 3.5"-4" I'm interested. Now I feel like I should go 3.6" and above just to be safe. This is particularly concerning for me because I was seriously considering the PM2 wave even though it's listed to have a 3.45" blade length :(.

Anyway, this was a long post. I didn't mean to turn it into a specific knife first impression/review. Final thoughts, gonna keep the American Lawman around for a while for sure. I just feel like if CS marketed it as their super-slim EDC/tactical option, I wouldn't feel so much like I've been fooled?

So the American Lawman...

I definitely formed some expectations from the Recon 1...thought, this is just awesome, would love to have other knives with these qualities (thick strong blade, reliable locking mechanism, great handle all-around: grippy, just thick enough, good ergos, great weight). First impressions of the American Lawman: much thinner handle than I expected, blade appears shorter than I expected, way lighter than I expected. (Yes, I did review the specs before pulling the trigger, but alas, it was another late-night semi-impulse buy.) When I first held it in my hand I thought, how can this be the same tough knife that people have torture tested and raved about? It looks like I can squeeze these scales together with my bare hands (I thought). How can this be a real CS tactical knife when the handle feels so disproportionate to the blade (thickness)? Did I really get my money's worth here? Shows what I know...

I decided to carry it out on my second round of errands for the day. Pulled it out a few times to open some packages, cut some cardboard up, cut open some knotted plastic grocery bags. I found myself appreciating the slim profile. I can easily see this being a comfortable, capable EDC for me. It definitely feels tough. It definitely cuts well. The tip seems strong and easy to manipulate for some more delicate tasks (I found myself actually using that 50/50 choil that I complained about earlier in this thread :rolleyes:). It feels like a great utility EDC knife in my inexperienced opinion.

As far as tactical goes, idk. I'm gonna get picky again here, but I feel like CS could've gone 1 or 2 mm thicker on the scales and made this knife more "tactical". OR, what if they had just kept the SS liners like in the previous generation of this knife? Maybe I just really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm gonna be honest at the risk of losing any credibility I might have garnered in my short time here, but right now, if I heard someone just break in and the only two choices I had for weapons were the American Lawman and my Kershaw Emerson CQC-8k (same length blade [kind of, will talk about that in a sec], but thicker, more substantial-feeling handle, I'd probably pick up the CQC-8k.

Second thing I have to mention. I thought the blade seemed short for 3.5", so I held it up next to my other 3.5" knives, the CQC-8K, and the CIVIVI Baklash. I lined them up right where the blade emerges from the handle at the spine. Both the CQC-8k and Baklash were longer (especially the Baklash which is immediately noticeably longer than the other two.) Before I started freaking out I broke out my measuring tape and sure enough, the American Lawman is 3.5" from where the scales stop to the blade tip. So, manufacturer's measure blade length inconsistently?? Handling the CQC-8k and especially the Baklash for the past couple weeks I felt good about 3.5". Anything 3.5"-4" I'm interested. Now I feel like I should go 3.6" and above just to be safe. This is particularly concerning for me because I was seriously considering the PM2 wave even though it's listed to have a 3.45" blade length :(.

Anyway, this was a long post. I didn't mean to turn it into a specific knife first impression/review. Final thoughts, gonna keep the American Lawman around for a while for sure. I just feel like if CS marketed it as their super-slim EDC/tactical option, I wouldn't feel so much like I've been fooled?
:) I'm getting a little dizzy just tryin' to keep up with your somewhat manic acquisition process ! :p

Maybe slow down just a tad , do more thorough research before you buy . ;)

There are tons of reviews for nearly any common knife . Many right here on BF .

We have a special subforum just for Cold Steel . WE , Spyderco and Benchmade also , and others .

There is also a Practical / Tactical subforum for SD . Lots to learn , if you'll only take the time . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:eek: You can just buy EVERYTHING , of course ...and learn by personal experience , trial and error . :rolleyes:

:) I'm getting a little dizzy just tryin' to keep up with your somewhat manic acquisition process ! :p

We have a special subforum just for Cold Steel . WE , Spyderco and Benchmade also , and others .

There is also a Practical / Tactical subforum for SD . Lots to learn , if you'll only take the time . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:eek: You can just buy EVERYTHING , of course ...and learn by personal experience , trial and error . :rolleyes:
Thanks. I figured there were sub forums

Guys, I apologize. I also greatly appreciate all the help and advice you've given me in this thread. Yes, I have made some somewhat manic acquisitions since I started this thread, but I have to say it's partially y'alls fault! I fell back into this game hard, and your plentiful suggestions and attention only fueled my fire :p.

I'm going to slow down (try). I hope you can understand my excitement right now, and tbh, I'm at a certain point in life where I haven't been able to "treat" myself in a while, so that definitely contributes to picking up my old interest/hobby so quickly. I enjoy doing research. I'm also overwhelmed with the new ability (def wasn't like this 15 years ago) to just make a purchase, actually feel it/play with it, realize I'm not digging it, and return it.

I apologize for this thread taking the turns it did, but I also have to say that you guys helped me steer it to where I realized I can now start more specific threads in the more appropriate sub-forums. You guys really helped me realize what I'm really looking for and the right questions to ask. I will take the time. And I will be more respective to forum etiquette. I have to say though, I really don't want this thread to die just yet because I feel like those of you who have been particularly active (DadPool, Chronovore, DOCJD) share a lot of the same "tastes" as me and I think I would really continue to benefit from your seasoned advice.

So, I'll dare to pose another question here at the risk of being modded. With my limited actual use of knives (maybe cutting some cardboard and open a couple packages once or twice a week), should I research/invest in a leather strop? From my limited understanding so far, I'm wondering if running my knives through the Sharpmaker (mostly for the fear of screwing it up) would be overkill. Especially if some simple stropping will suffice, while at the same time reduce the risk of me ruining the edge on some ceramic rods.

Another one that just came to mind... I recently became interested in the CS Air Lite. I found it at around $65. For that price, I contemplate whether I should get one for the purpose of being my beater knife, while saving most of the others (Recon 1, American Lawman, CQC-4KXL) razor sharp and ready for SD carry. I figured with my current collection, the CIVIVI Baklash would naturally be my beater, but the Air Lite is calling to me... I can't justify the MSRP ($85?). But if I can get it at $65, is it really a steal? Depending on your comments, if I get one, I would have to return/sell something in my current collection for financial reasons.

P.S.--I can't find that PM2 Wave anywhere. Is it out of production?

That could be a factor here. What exactly does having a CCW permit change in your state? For instance, does it affect what kinds of knife you can carry?
Here in Iowa it allows me to carry autos. No daggers tho, and Balis are still a no-go as well.

No need to apologize. You are all good. I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread is even remotely annoyed at you.
We live for this stuff!:thumbsup:
If anything, we are a bit concerned you might be going a bit hog wild with the spending.:eek:
For what you've spent after saying your max was around $50 I would've definitely recommended something like a Cold Steel AD-10 or AD-15. Or even some ZT's like the 0562, or 0393 instead of what was initially suggested.
But hey, If you're having fun, that's what it's all about.

And to answer your question. Absolutely yes. Get a strop. A couple of swipes at the end of the day and my knives are usually just as good as when I started.
No need for anything expensive. If it's over $20 it's too much.

Back