Giving the Bugout One Last Chance with the Blade HQ g10 Exclusive

So, I'm stubborn. I don't like the Bugout. I've seen all the videos and reviews, from KnifeCenter, Blade HQ and many others. It's a popular knife. It just feels cheap in the hand to me. It is what it's supposed to be, but I have bought 3 of them, and sent them all back. I just can't get over the flexy, light, cheap feeling frn scales. But, then I see the new Blade HQ exclusive in the G10 with 20 CV and I'm going down the rabbit hole one more time. I love the geometry of the knife. I love what it's supposed to be. But when I had one, I immediately put it aside for anything else: my Spyderco PM2, my Civivi Elementum, my old BM Mini-Freek, and even my BM Grizzly Ridge. I rotated every single edc knife I have and skipped the Bugout every time. I'd pick it up, fidget with it, admire its lines and the blade, and then I'd flex that handle, put it back in the drawer and go about my day. I'm hoping this time is different. Maybe it won't be. But, there are so, so many things to love about that knife. I think with stiffer scales and less cheap plastic feel, I may have found a winner. I'll know in a few days, I guess. Not sure if any of you have bought one and what your thoughts are. I lurk here all the time, but have yet to post. Anyone tried the G10 on the Bugout and have a different feel about the knife with better scales?

yeah I have both the CF elite one and the g10 BHQ excl. and honestly both of them don’t feel cheap at all. The 20cv I guess feels more sturdy over all and definitely not cheap. So you should be happy with it.

Have you guys actually noticed the flexing scales when actually using the knife or is it just something that bugs you when you pick it up and purposefully try to bend the scales?

Because this has been my go-to knife since I got it and the complaints about the flexing scales make no sense to me. It has absolutely no impact on the function of this knife.

For me it's simply the feel of the material. While I could flex the factory scales, that doesn't bother me and I have no problem with FRN and similar plastics that other companies use. BM's molded scales just feel cheap and the minimal texturing doesn't help either.

For me it's simply the feel of the material. While I could flex the factory scales, that doesn't bother me and I have no problem with FRN and similar plastics that other companies use. BM's molded scales just feel cheap and the minimal texturing doesn't help either.
Fair enough. I liked the feel of them for some reason, much nicer to me than Spyderco’s FRN (which bugs me). Personal preferences vary.

Fair enough. I liked the feel of them for some reason, much nicer to me than Spyderco’s FRN (which bugs me). Personal preferences vary.

I'm the same as you. I prefer the feel of the Bugout's scales versus the Spyderco Salt I used to own. To your earlier question, I've never flexed the scales on mine because it doesn't happen in actual knife use and I don't really know why I would purposefully try to make them flex. Going on a few years of everyday carry for my Bugout so far, and that does not appear to be changing any time soon.

Have you guys actually noticed the flexing scales when actually using the knife or is it just something that bugs you when you pick it up and purposefully try to bend the scales?

Because this has been my go-to knife since I got it and the complaints about the flexing scales make no sense to me. It has absolutely no impact on the function of this knife.
Very good to know! Might have to give one a third try some day, this time in G10!

No doubt the grivory from Benchmade feels nicer than Spyderco's FRN. My issue was that the grivory was flexy, felt cheap, wasn't grippy, and just didn't feel like a premium knife. I get the lightweight nature of it, and the draw to that. I wanted to like it. But everytime I picked it up, I put the knife down and didn't carry it. I'm carrying the G10 version almost daily. The G10 Bugout and Ontario Rat2 have been my daily carries for the past week and I love the combo. I'm loving the G10 version and I think the knife should just be made that way. It makes the knife so much better. Better feel, better grip, better action, and none of that annoying flex. It just bothered me so bad. To each his own, and it obviously doesn't bother everyone. People love the Bugout. Now I do, too...just in the new scales.

Very good to know! Might have to give one a third try some day, this time in G10!
The scale flex and Grivory don’t bother me because, to me, they are a result what the Bugout is all about: an exceptionally light knife with a thin profile and lots of blade. I don’t think I would have even noticed the scales flexing unless I read it here, because they don’t flex when you hold and use the blade, which is all that counts for me. While it could be more grippy, I actually like the texture of the Grivory for some reason, much more than the Spyderco FRN, which just feels extremely cheap to me although it does the job.

The Bugout is a home run for me but I can see how G10 or other scales will be a vast improvement in other people’s eyes. It’s been my go-to knife since I got it, nothing has bumped it out of my pocket since then.

I looked at getting Flytanium scales once just for fun but I just couldn’t justify the price. Still, I’d like one with copper or titanium scales just to see what it’s like.

Sa
Just a heads up the BHQ exclusive buyouts are on sale for $150. You also can pick up the bugout shop mat for free with purchase.

JonesE
Saw that too. Purchased!
Better steel, different color, different scales. Compared the coated blade as being Cerokote over the cf elite blade dlc and the other black bugout blades. Don't matter to me since just trying to match my mini stormtrooper bugout.

This will be my first bugout purchase. The sale price was good, so I grabbed both the satin and the black blade version. Until now, the bugout just hasn’t spoken to me. I know many of you have picked them up over the years. I have been sitting on the sideline watching, but the FRN scales just don’t speak to me. I have a 531-1501. It is the green G10 Pardue folder from years ago. I am hoping that these two are even more awesome.

JonesE

It's crazy to see a Benchmade on Slickdeals front page. Guess BladeHQ has a lot or $150 is a high threshold that folks can't seem to pull the trigger for a pocket knife.

I ordered one of the BHQ exclusives because I saw the thread on Slickdeals. It'll be my first Bugout and first Benchmade.

Decided to go ahead and order one of these. Bladehq will probably cancel my order but hopefully it’ll go through.

They have cancelled my orders in the past due to my location.

My wife bought me the Blade HQ Benchmade 940 and I got it tonight. Wow, what a knife. I've tinkered with getting the original in green aluminum for a while, but I'm so glad I got this one instead. The jade G10 scales and the M4 blade is a great combination. Great action, and feels wonderful in the hand. Blade HQ is knocking it out of the park with some of these exclusives. This might be the best 940 to date. I'm not a fan of coated blades, but it looks go good on this knife. I might have the 940 in one pocket and the Bugout in the other for a long while. These are my two favorite knives right now.

I also just received a deep carry pocket clip for my Spyderco PM2 and it completely transforms how the knife rides in your pocket. That will also return to my rotation. Throw in a few signed copies of Steve Rinella's MeatEater cookbooks and I'm a happy man. Christmas has been good to me this year! Merry Christmas to all of you!

Shipped Tuesday and received today when I selected free shipping. Eta on tracking on Tuesday was next week. Opening the bugout 20 cv for xmas. Happy Holidays!

How does this version compare with the Neutron 2.0? They seem to be very similar on paper and at $150 the bugout seems the better value. Can anyone with both chime in on comparison

glad i saw this. i have handled both the griptilian and bugout and have felt similarly. everyone loves them, but i also really didn’t like the handle. i agree that it felt “cheap”, almost too light, if that makes any sense.

funny cuz my most used folder (endura) has an frn handle. go figure.

aaanyhoo, i still often consider purchasing a bugout, but i just can’t do it. well, seeing the price on the g10 version, youuu betcha! just ordered.

thanks for posting M Mayberry :thumbsup:

glad i saw this. i have handled both the griptilian and bugout and have felt similarly. everyone loves them, but i also really didn’t like the handle. i agree that it felt “cheap”, almost too light, if that makes any sense.

funny cuz my most used folder (endura) has an frn handle. go figure.

aaanyhoo, i still often consider purchasing a bugout, but i just can’t do it. well, seeing the price on the g10 version, youuu betcha! just ordered.

thanks for posting M Mayberry :thumbsup:

You won't regret it. It completely remakes the knife. I love it now with the G10 and 20cv.

And this new 940 Osborne Blade HQ Exclusive that my wife bought me for Christmas is amazing. Had I owned this knife 10 years ago, I might have never started collecting knives. It might stay in my pocket for the next year or so. I love them both.

Back