Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

View attachment 971672 Picked up a new CUDA MAXX today. It’s the blue one.

I really wish I'd found this website, and more specifically this thread, a lot sooner. Or maybe not. Just when I think I've discovered a folder with all of the qualities I want, there's something new (or old) that seems even better. Between the Cuda and the Aftermath, I think I might be in trouble.

0BC4AD34-C932-4124-BD53-FCA3C9266D2A.jpeg You realize that the CUDA MAXX and the Aftermath are the good part of the good, better, best sequence. The MADD MAXX had a 7” blade and Darrel also offered a 9” blade custom.

Nice collection! :thumbsup:

Any favorites? Which one carries the best for you?

All the "big" folders are at home. I have the bottom selection with me here in Afghanistan and have since added a Grayman SATU. I wanted a large folder for my battle belt as it sits directly under my body armor; a fixed blade just wouldn't work. Unfortunately the 4MAX sits the highest, it works but doesn't quite fit (using a Maxepedition pouch). Both the XIO Alpha Mark 1 (that's a mouth full) and the SATU fit much better size wise and are just more efficient blade to handle ratios. I'm not overly excited about the XIO, but admit the fit, finish, lockup, and design are simply excellent...it's just a very aggressive blade design. The RAO has the largest sheath setup and is pretty bulky, but I still like it. Since I've added a deep-pocket clip to the 4MAX, it actually carries in my baggier cargo pants quite well...it's probably my favorite of the bunch.

ROCK6

Just wanted to add this guy for a little inspiration. I don’t own it but damn.

36085711_341422476393172_7762517560561500160_n.jpg

This style of traditional locking folding Italian knives is callled sfarziglia napolatana.

Not so great picture of my 6" Ti-Lite next to a dollar bill for scale. I actually carried this around for a bit until it wore a hole in my pocket. It's longer than any of the non-machete fixed blade knives that I currently own.

DoQeLAA.jpg

How has it been this long since my favorite thread had a post! :eek::D

With the ZT 0462TAN discontinued and now a screaming deal, I finally caved and picked one up. It's a big knife that looks like a medium-size knife, partly because of the DLC (I always find coated blades look shorter/smaller) and partly because of the curves and the cutting edge being longer than the AKTI-measured blade length (3.7" blade, 4" cutting edge). It certainly feels like less of a pocket cavalry saber than its cousin the ZT 0452.

It's also lighter than my beloved Spyderco Military! That knife sets a high bar for big, lightweight blades, and the 0462 clears that bar.

zVBAn3q.jpg

How has it been this long since my favorite thread had a post! :eek::D

With the ZT 0462TAN discontinued and now a screaming deal, I finally caved and picked one up. It's a big knife that looks like a medium-size knife, partly because of the DLC (I always find coated blades look shorter/smaller) and partly because of the curves and the cutting edge being longer than the AKTI-measured blade length (3.7" blade, 4" cutting edge). It certainly feels like less of a pocket cavalry saber than its cousin the ZT 0452.

It's also lighter than my beloved Spyderco Military! That knife sets a high bar for big, lightweight blades, and the 0462 clears that bar.

zVBAn3q.jpg

The 0462 has peaked my interest at the discontinued prices as well. You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of it next to your Military?

The 0462 has peaked my interest at the discontinued prices as well. You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of it next to your Military?

Happy to take one! :) They don't look like it in my shot, but both tips are in line with the end of the ruler.

vNDRQFu.jpg

I figured since I was here I'd also compare it to all of my other big folders + two common reference knives. I tried to shoot straight down from above for a true comparison, but it looks like my angle was off a bit.

WzUa7Ek.jpg

Top to bottom, that's: Emerson Super Commander, Benchmade Adamas, Microtech Socom Elite, Spyderco Military, ZT 0462TAN, Benchmade Griptilian, Benchmade 940-1. :)

Back