Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

IMG_20141001_155256_zpso1jbhzsy.jpg

I really like the 66 pattern, bit I don't think its fair to say they have good walk and talk or snap.

Mine is pretty soft, especially on the two smaller blades, and dealer said he hand picked for good snap on mine.

The earlier runs did have better snap. GEC seemed to soften the action in response to many who decried their tough pulls, but I think they went too far on some releases.

The earlier runs did have better snap. GEC seemed to soften the action in response to many who decried their tough pulls, but I think they went too far on some releases.

Agreed. I think they went too far on both the Calf Roper and the Dixie Stockman, and a few other recent runs. It's too the point where I'm purchasing more vintage knives instead of GEC's these days, just because the action is better on my 70 year old knives.

I really like the 66 pattern, bit I don't think its fair to say they have good walk and talk or snap.

Mine is pretty soft, especially on the two smaller blades, and dealer said he hand picked for good snap on mine.

If it was a run in 2016, i think mine is from that. If I figure out how, I can shoot a video to share the beautiful sound of the clip blade locking into place

These knives are from an experimental run in 2011. Bill agreed to try a Schrade-look jigging on this nice #66 pattern, using a rich red color to give it some soul! They all were meant to be Bullwinkles (small-sized Moose) patterns, but Bill had some stockman pattern blades, and so did a few of those also. Less than 20 knives total. I somehow let all the Stock knives slip away, but thanks to Barry at GunstockJack, I now own the pair again for my archive! Thanks Barry!!!:thumbsup:
When these were made, the TC Barlow was just a gleam in a little Moose's eye!!:)
We've come quite a distance since then!!
View attachment 815334 View attachment 815335 View attachment 815336
These are gorgeous. I know next to nothing about traditionals. I’ve carried a case sod buster jr. off and on most of my life, but that is about the extent of my traditional experience. These two have me salivating. Love the slant bolsters and color. Really drawn to the bottom knife.

Is that hemlock green? Your jigging pattern looks a little different than the one I posted above.
Yeah it's hemlock, the jigging is different. I also noticed on the show side by the clip blade bolster there is essentially no redish/orange showing like the other bolsters.

Yeah it's hemlock, the jigging is different. I also noticed on the show side by the clip blade bolster there is essentially no redish/orange showing like the other bolsters.

I’m wondering if the difference is just the amount of polish the covers received.

I’m wondering if the difference is just the amount of polish the covers received.
Definitely for the color. But the jigging on my example is different. Deeper and more linear near the shield.

Back