Great Eastern Cutlery ( GEC ) group shots / photo requests

1GECColln1.jpg
I have to say, you have excellent taste. A very nice variety.

I can hardly believe my eyes looking at some of your collections :eek:
Here is my humble bunch of GECs:

#65 Ben Hogan, Snakewood
#53 Cigar, Goldenrod Bone
#48 Dogleg, Ram's Horn (it's a Scagel, but made by GEC)
#61 Congress, Midnight Jigged Bone
#62 Easy Pocket Congress, Burnt Stag
#57 Geppetto Whittler, Cocobolo Wood
#68 White Owl, Ebony Wood
K6Mj5.jpg

nA7im.jpg

I think I am more confused then when we started lol. I am going back and forth between a larger say cuban moose design, the 48j and a conductor.Then I also like the idea of a 66 moose or a cattle knife ughh. I think I will just sit back and enjoy the wonderful pictures everyone is sharing. I have realized I am a fan of the big clip blade, dont really care for the turk/california design. Guess my eye is not a fan of the low angel of the blade. Thanks again to everyone that has played along, some very impressive knives in these pages :thumbup:

I have realized I am a fan of the big clip blade, dont really care for the turk/california design. Guess my eye is not a fan of the low angel of the blade.

I'm right there with you on that one. Something about the shape of a full clip blade just says "knife" to me in a way that other blade shapes do not.

I think thats a big part of it Doug. I know you dont like the spear but thats growing on me. I wish GEC would come out with say a 66 frame with spear main and wharncliffe second. Those two blades together would be the ultimate in utility for me I think. I know their are other brands and older knives, I search the bay regularly to find stuff all the time. I am currently cleaning my first vintage purchase, got my eye on a few more.

I don't dislike a spear blade, I just have a bunch of them, so usually will not choose another purchase with that blade as the main. If I was choosing between two with all things being equal but clip vs. spear, I would go with the clip every time. Subjective, I know, but since I am not out in the field dressing game, or building shelters with materials to be found in the woods, aesthetics plays a large role in knife selection for me. Maybe more than it should.

Sorry Doug, I kinda dotted that in from another post you made about an owl model you owned. My appoligies for assuming.

If I may make a request... could someone post a photo taken from straight above that shows the wells of a 66 stockman and 53 cattle knife side-by-side?

Sorry Doug, I kinda dotted that in from another post you made about an owl model you owned. My appoligies for assuming.

Reasonable assumption Jeff. I did say that I never warmed to the spear blade of the 68. No harm, no foul!

You guys have some serious collections! Here's my modest few. Hoping to add more to it, already hearing the new 76 Outlaw Jack calling out my name.

GECgrpopen.jpg

GECGrpB.jpg

Is the Barlow 2nd from the right the "Horse Cut" jig bone?

Here is my small collection of #33 Conductors. I just added one today.

GEC burnt stag, Northfield genuine stag w/ bail, Dog Paw "copperhead jig bone" w/ bail

conductors.jpg

Is the Barlow 2nd from the right the "Horse Cut" jig bone?

Heh-- I just keel-hauled the picture over the the 25s thread and asked the same thing.

I believe it's called Horsecut Antique...?

My, oh my.

(Were it to have stamped bolsters too, I'd probably swoon. As it is, I once again appreciate the minimalist approach, ie, no shield.)

~ P.

Yes Jake and P, that is a horsecut antique jig bone. Great looking stag on your knives Jake!

Last edited:
Great collections guys!! The size doesn't matter as long as you love them :)

If I may make a request... could someone post a photo taken from straight above that shows the wells of a 66 stockman and 53 cattle knife side-by-side?

Hi Jake,
I took a couple quick pics. I hope these are what you're looking for. Ebony #53 and #66.
IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

Nice conductors Jake, that natural is unreal. You know where to find me if you start to dislike it :D

DSCN6568.jpg

aesthetics plays a large role in knife selection for me.

... and it shows. Your selection above gets especially sweet towards the right, although I'm also partial to the large, leaf-shaped spear blades GEC sometimes uses, like on the 85s (Forum knife?) and that large beauty to the far left.

~ P.

Back