GSO 3.5 (2nd Generation)

The First Friday update has been published.
I'm glad to hear that Survive is happy with the QC on the 3.5 blades that they've received.

The First Friday update has been published.
I'm glad to hear that Survive is happy with the QC on the 3.5 blades that they've received.

I saw that too! I'm going to have to figure out a way to put together the scratch to get one of these S!K 3.5s, and quick like.

The 3.5 blades are on their way to the Survive shop! :thumbsup:
They won't have handles and sheaths yet but that is a great sign of progress!

Heck yes!!! :D And here is hoping that handle-fitment issues go well for the 3.5s so that they can get them out faster than the 4.1s, since Millit did the blank-cutting this time :thumbsup:
I looked for a "handle fitment" thread but I didn't find one, but the problem existed across all the "new spec" knives and was probably brought up in whatever thread was active at the time the issue was raised.
As I recall, the handle fitment issue was related to insufficiently cured handle composites being dimensionally unstable (a known issue with micarta) so the handles required a lot of reshaping and hand fitting, which I think might have resulted in the micro texture handle process being implemented to remove the marks from all the rework.
There were a lot of problems with the steel blades that required rework as well, but I think that was more along the lines of fixing grinds and removing marks rather than the blades needing to be altered to fit the handles.
So yes, with all new handles and a new grinding contractor I too have high hopes for the 3.5 coming together smoothly. :D
The 3.5 is the first of the "new spec" knives to be produced after Survive learned all the hard lessons from the first few models of the "new spec" knives.

Last edited:
This might have been mentioned already but was there going to be anything marked on the blades distinguishing a GSO version vs. a SK version? I'm not just referencing to the 3.5 either, any model for that matter. I thought I might have seen some news or feedback sent out referencing surface finish may be a distinguishing factor but can't remember if the blade was going to labeled differently in any matter as well.

This might have been mentioned already but was there going to be anything marked on the blades distinguishing a GSO version vs. a SK version? I'm not just referencing to the 3.5 either, any model for that matter. I thought I might have seen some news or feedback sent out referencing surface finish may be a distinguishing factor but can't remember if the blade was going to labeled differently in any matter as well.
The blade finish will be different. Haven’t heard of any marking or labels. I believe the SK model will be stone washed.

The blade finish will be different. Haven’t heard of any marking or labels. I believe the SK model will be stone washed.

Thx, I thought I had remembered a posting referencing a tumbled or washed finish and than less options on the scales but couldn't remember if the blades would receive a separate marking such as those that were identified as Ugly Betty's, 2nds, etc.

I don't think that the model number appears on any of Survive's knives.
I don't think that Uglies or Seconds are going to be available for any of the new models, either.
I do wonder if they'll do something to differentiate the SK from the GSO in the future other than the surface finish.

I don't think that the model number appears on any of Survive's knives.
I don't think that Uglies or Seconds are going to be available for any of the new models, either.
I do wonder if they'll do something to differentiate the SK from the GSO in the future other than the surface finish.

That's basically my question as well, I may have not stated the markings correctly as in the past if it was a second or Ugly Betty it was labeled as such. Other than the surface finish difference if they might be marking some sort of "SK Series" on the blade. The models for the most part are distinguishing enough but if the finish were to be the same on any particular model I could see it being difficult to distinguish one from the other (GSO vs SK Series) unless it was due to the upgrade options such as handle scales, etc.

I guess you can always take the scales off if you can't tell the difference between the peened and stone washed finish on the exposed blade anymore.

Back