GSO 3.5 (2nd Generation)

We just received the first grinding samples. Guy is going to get them sharpened and tested. Look for an Instagram post this weekend.
I loved seeing this update! Really happy to see the SK line get some momentum.

Any thoughts to share on the switch to hollow grind from flat grind? I'm curious about this as I'm such a big fan of the flat saber grind.

I loved seeing this update! Really happy to see the SK line get some momentum.
Any thoughts to share on the switch to hollow grind from flat grind? I'm curious about this as I'm such a big fan of the flat saber grind.
Hi Silver! As I recall the stated purpose in revising the design of the primary bevel on the 3.5 was to reduce the number of off spec blades after grinding.
Based on the conversation at the time (and the diagram that Ellie released) it seemed like a minor change.
Fast forward to the present and the grinding contractor has been changed as well, and it appears that the primary bevel is going to be ground hollow.
I'm guessing that they are still pursuing the goal of producing more on spec blades.
I'd like to hear a bit more, but I'm willing to wait until Guy has had a chance to beat up his samples. :)

Hi Silver! As I recall the stated purpose in revising the design of the primary bevel on the 3.5 was to reduce the number of off spec blades after grinding.
Based on the conversation at the time (and the diagram that Ellie released) it seemed like a minor change.
Fast forward to the present and the grinding contractor has been changed as well, and it appears that the primary bevel is going to be ground hollow.
I'm guessing that they are still pursuing the goal of producing more on spec blades.
I'd like to hear a bit more, but I'm willing to wait until Guy has had a chance to beat up his samples. :)

I sent an email last week about this very subject to S!Ks but have yet got a reply, I asked about this very subtle change in another thread and there was no mention that it would be ground in a hollow grind. Only mention was the location of the primary grind bevel and wouldn't believe that would be reason to cut it in a hollow version. I know I will not be happy as many others will feel the same way, this is something should have been addressed immediately when known as that's a major issue in my opinion, regardless of how subtle that may have been.

The other question that would come to mind is if these are just going to be the Millit Knives 3.5 SK line model or will even the GSO 3.5 have this same grind? And as I believe a couple other folks have asked, are all the SK line versions by Millit going to have this same grind? I know the argument exists referencing the functionality/performance but regardless, a hollow grind sill possesses less material overall.

I was looking forward to the promised IG post this weekend. Still waiting on that and hoping it will provide some answers to our questions.
I'm esp curious to know/understand what it is about the 3.5 specifically that necessitates a change not required for the 2.7 and 4.1 on either side of it size-wise....

The other question that would come to mind is if these are just going to be the Millit Knives 3.5 SK line model or will even the GSO 3.5 have this same grind? And as I believe a couple other folks have asked, are all the SK line versions by Millit going to have this same grind? I know the argument exists referencing the functionality/performance but regardless, a hollow grind sill possesses less material overall.
I'm guessing that a new grinding company equals new type of grind. I'd be really surprised if Guy went out and bought new machines to start creating hollow grinds himself on the GSO line. Even if I have to catch and release my SK 6 because of the unannounced hollow grinding, I'm planning on my GSO 6 having a flat saber grind that I've come to cherish. If the pictured SK 3.5 is a prototype or experiment or if they go back to the flat saber for the SK 6, then I'll be fine.

I was looking forward to the promised IG post this weekend. Still waiting on that and hoping it will provide some answers to our questions.
I'm esp curious to know/understand what it is about the 3.5 specifically that necessitates a change not required for the 2.7 and 4.1 on either side of it size-wise....
I missed when they said they were going to do an SK update over the weekend, but I'll welcome any updates and clarification!
I'm guessing the SK 3.5 has this new grind because it's in the hands of a different company and that is the only reason.

I'm guessing that a new grinding company equals new type of grind. I'd be really surprised if Guy went out and bought new machines to start creating hollow grinds himself on the GSO line. Even if I have to catch and release my SK 6 because of the unannounced hollow grinding, I'm planning on my GSO 6 having a flat saber grind that I've come to cherish. If the pictured SK 3.5 is a prototype or experiment or if they go back to the flat saber for the SK 6, then I'll be fine.

I missed when they said they were going to do an SK update over the weekend, but I'll welcome any updates and clarification!
I'm guessing the SK 3.5 has this new grind because it's in the hands of a different company and that is the only reason.
Millit described it as a "GSO". You think that's a typo and that Millit is only grinding the SK version?
Also, S!K's IG post showed it with the peened finish...?

Those are my questions exactly, I ordered a 3.5 Starter GSO so would imagine (hoping) it's the typical as expected flat-saber as well, I ordered an SK6 totally assuming its a flat-saber as well. I sent my email to them Wednesday last week but haven't heard anything back but would hope with all the concern in this thread as well as a couple others that someone from S!k will chime in and put this subject to rest.

Guy stated that the 3.5 sample was bead blasted to demonstrate the clean surface finish from the grinder.
I don't think that indicates a change in the planned surface finish for the GSO or SK lines.
From what I've heard the differences between the GSO and SK lines are in the final finish, fitting, assembly, and some of the options.
For example the SK line will be just Micarta and won't have the textured G10 option.
The GSO line will be finished by Survive in their shop using their techniques, but again from what I've heard the knife blanks will all come from the same source.
Ellie has indicated that the blanks for the GSO line will be sorted out and pulled by Survive and the remainder will go out for the SK line.
If that is still their plan then whatever grind the SK line gets will be the same as the GSO line.
I too look forward to more information from Survive. :)

Those are my questions exactly, I ordered a 3.5 Starter GSO so would imagine (hoping) it's the typical as expected flat-saber as well, I ordered an SK6 totally assuming its a flat-saber as well. I sent my email to them Wednesday last week but haven't heard anything back but would hope with all the concern in this thread as well as a couple others that someone from S!k will chime in and put this subject to rest.
Ha! I'm waiting for a GSO 3.5 and an SK 6 as well.... (and a 4.1 F2...)

Millit described it as a "GSO". You think that's a typo and that Millit is only grinding the SK version?
Also, S!K's IG post showed it with the peened finish...?
I noticed that and I'm 99% sure it's just a typo. And yeah, that peened or bead blasted finish looks good. I'd be ok with a tumbled finish as well!

Guy stated that the 3.5 sample was bead blasted to demonstrate the clean surface finish from the grinder.
I don't think that indicates a change in the planned surface finish for the GSO or SK lines.
From what I've heard the differences between the GSO and SK lines are in the final finish, fitting, assembly, and some of the options.
For example the SK line will be just Micarta and won't have the textured G10 option.
The GSO line will be finished by Survive in their shop using their techniques, but again from what I've heard the knife blanks will all come from the same source.
Ellie has indicated that the blanks for the GSO line will be sorted out and pulled by Survive and the remainder will go out for the SK line.
If that is still their plan then whatever grind the SK line gets will be the same as the GSO line.
I too look forward to more information from Survive. :)
That posted pic with the hollow grind is just throwing us all off!
You're thinking the bead blasting is just a demo and not the production finish?

I don't know who does the water jet cutting and primary bevel grinding now, but I interpreted old updates as both of those jobs will be be done by Millit now. But then, what will be left for Precision Plus to do if Millit does the cutting, grinding and surface finishing? Just sharpening and assembly?

I noticed that and I'm 99% sure it's just a typo. And yeah, that peened or bead blasted finish looks good. I'd be ok with a tumbled finish as well!

That posted pic with the hollow grind is just throwing us all off!
You're thinking the bead blasting is just a demo and not the production finish?

I don't know who does the water jet cutting and primary bevel grinding now, but I interpreted old updates as both of those jobs will be be done by Millit now. But then, what will be left for Precision Plus to do if Millit does the cutting, grinding and surface finishing? Just sharpening and assembly?

I'm at work so maybe I'm not giving this my full attention. I'm confused by Silver's and Fancier's statements.
Blanks for both GSO and SK lines are cut the same. So far so good. The primary grinds are done by Millit for both lines or only the SK line? Is it conceivable that they would have different primary grinds?

I sort of seen it as Fancier stated and that the S!K shop will work the fine tuning (fit/finish) of the knives that Millit/Preceision cuts giving them that "GSO" touch per say while the so called "not meeting the cut for a GSO" is completed out and placed into the SK lineup but bottom line we do need some clarity on the major grind of the blades (saber-hollow vs. saber-flat).

I think I've been confusing myself. This is from their website:
Our upcoming production runs will be getting split up after production grinding. One batch will head to the SURVIVE! Workshop to fulfill existing GSO preorders. The remaining blades will head to Precision Plus

If Millit is doing all grinding from now on, I really hope they figure out how to apply a true flat saber grind to these knives.

At the risk of repeating myself and getting banned, I'm trying to lay out the information that we've received from Survive so far as I understand it.
Until we receive new information from Survive all we can do is speculate about what they'll choose to do with future models.
I think that Guy will make the best knife that he can, because that is what he has always done before.

Back