Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I'M IN !

Always been a fan of the wharncliffe and sheepsfoot ... haven't yet found a way to come by a lambsfoot - really like that design though !

John

There are links to two giveaways in my sig line John, the one in this thread is for folks who already have a Lambsfoot. The other linked giveaway is for folks who don't have a Lambsfoot. In each case there is entry criteria, so you do need to read it :thumbsup:

Morning, Jack! Good luck with the computer!:thumbsup:
b0vVzXX.jpg

Thanks buddy, I decided to give a router a try again, as my broadband has been terrible lately. I used one a few years ago, when me and my neighbours set up a network, but the problem was that lots of other folks later got wireless networks. It wasn't a good start as the router had a fault, and I had to take it back to the shop, where they were almost as clueless about it as me, but they gave me another, which works fine. Only problem is my computer doesn't support all the wireless software, so for now I've had to connect with an ethernet cable. Seems to be working OK though, for now at least :thumbsup:

That kind of Talgo ceased in 2013. Now it takes much less time and is made while running, special tracks existing at both frontier points, Port-Bou and Hendaye and possibly in Spain as well. Since there are much less reasons for the Spaniard to redoubt a French invasion (that's been achieved in a more peaceful way anyway- :D) there's much probability that future tracks will adopt the united gauge, this has already been done on high speed tracks.
It's amazing to remember that when Spain adopted 1674mmm mostly because they feared a French invasion (French-Prussian war in 1870 and US Civil war had seen strategical use of trains - France having adopted the English width and the RHD :)), Portugal who had the same feeling with Spain adopted 1664mm! Later they agreed for a common 1668mm gauge. (Finland did the same with Russia - a 4mm difference).

BTW, I'm not in, having already won a JB's GAW.:) Good luck to all!

View attachment 1119962

That's a shame in a way JP, I found it rather quaint :D I think the last time I was on it...I just checked and it was 2008! :eek:...going from Bilbao to Barcelona. For a long distance train, it had strange luggage racks, right up near the roof, I'm tall and I could only just reach them! Apart from me, it seemed like all the passengers were little old ladies, so I spent a lot of time lifting luggage up and down! :D That's a fascinating piece of history my friend, thank you :) :thumbsup:

Gorgeous ebony, Jack. :cool:
Good luck with your new internet connection.

Thank you very much John :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians. I hope your day is sunny and happy.

That looks lovely, it's a pretty nice day here too :) :thumbsup:

Good Tuesday morning Guardians, had a bit of snow last night, going to make dog training wet and cold today. I'm leaving earlier to be able to navigate the dirt roads without endangering my existence. Have a great day.
IMG_1098.JPG

What a contrast to where John lives Preston :eek: Hope you have a great day though, it sounds like your pup has you well-trained already my friend ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack! :) I knew I would probably forget one and I did! I got this Senator with Horn covers and worked back spring from Charlie! I’m carrying it today and thinking about him! :)

32797746187_e44401b3ce_b_d.jpg

Thanks for the compliment sir! :)

I am very likely to do the same Ron! :D That's a nice knife, and a nice gesture :) I have just sent Charlie a text now that it is a decent hour in Canada :) :thumbsup:

Not an entry to Jack's very generous GAW, but thanks for hosting the GAW to celebrate the Guardians thread milestone, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;) Congrats to all of the Guardians, but especially to Chief Guardian Jack, for this amazingly prolific thread! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Best wishes to all the entrants. :D:thumbsup:

Even though I'm not entering the GAW, I'll post a hastily-taken indoor photo of my flock. From the top down: Man Jack, Valley Jack, Black Jack, Lam Jack, Union Jack, Cracker Jack, and Lamb Shark. (I hope including my Old Timer "Lamb Shark" is acceptable, since I think of it as one of my first lambsfoot acquisitions.)
View attachment 1120002

- GT

Thanks for the kind words GT, and for letting us see that fabulous collection :) :thumbsup:

I’m in. Thanks for the opportunity. I love the smooth, almost polished stag on my lambsfoot. Looking forward to a few more down the road.
heFQYHV.jpg

e2aFUtg.jpg

Definitely a looker :) Good luck my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. Here's the other side:
0dYVlAE.jpg

And Good Morning, Guardians!
Going to be a great day: got invited to a barbecue, and going to shoot my .45 calibre automatic (1911, of course--I AM a traditionalist!). :)

That's very cool Vince :) :thumbsup:

I think it's better than both. If you don't have one, there is another thread for a giveaway (Jack posted the link above--I think on page 1,000). You have to post a picture of a knife. This thread giveaway I think is for those that have at least one, and we have to post a picture of our lambsfoot collection. Jack always gives clear instructions. Good luck!

Thank you Vince :) :thumbsup:

We celebrate it every year at home and in my classroom :D I'll be totin' my Space Lamb on that day.

Such a cool knife :) :thumbsup:

That's a really cool knife. I like that you sent one to Jack. :thumbsup:

Me too, I had longed for one for ages (Ebay won't accept bids on knives from UK residents :( ) :) A really special knife and a very kind gift :) :thumbsup:

Carrying my ironwood 2019 Guardian Lambsfoot today. Hope you all have a good one!

View attachment 1120036

Looking great Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Thanks y'all.
Fantatastic pics everyone!
Good luck to all you Guardian's
Jack Black Jack Black I REEEEALY hope your computer stuff goes smooth!!!!!!

Oh, my pic from yesterday that I forgot to post.
47737598691_d374f91ae9_h.jpg

Thanks a lot Kevin, nice pic :) :thumbsup:

................Thanks buddy, I decided to give a router a try again, as my broadband has been terrible lately. I used one a few years ago, when me and my neighbours set up a network, but the problem was that lots of other folks later got wireless networks. It wasn't a good start as the router had a fault, and I had to take it back to the shop, where they were almost as clueless about it as me, but they gave me another, which works fine. Only problem is my computer doesn't support all the wireless software, so for now I've had to connect with an ethernet cable. Seems to be working OK though, for now at least :thumbsup:
Jack, I have the same issues of computer not supporting all the wireless software. I think the ethernet cable is a better option anyway.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Carrying my beautiful 2018 horn model gifted to me by Charlie at the Oregon knife show this year! Thank you Charlie!!! Smoke and prayers sent along toward your full and speedy recovery!

yuRtzkc.jpg

That is a beauty Barry, must be one of the very best of the 2018 horn models :) Being gifted by Charlie makes it extra special, he is a most generous fellow :) Nice pic too Barry :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Hope you’re sipping a cold one after slaving over a hot router.:) Love that Ebony.

Jolipapa Jolipapa Nice Lamb family. That Barlow Lamb looks very nice. Is that a custom.?

@JohnDF I’m living vicariously from your Sun-lit Lamb Image.

@pjsjr I applaud your dedication to your dog training regiment. Every one benefits.:thumbsup:

@Half/Stop Isn’t the Senator a grand pattern? That Charlie, whom we all pray a return to good health, gifted it to you, must make your Senator extra special.:thumbsup:

@5K Qs Morning Gary. Perhaps hastily taken, but beautifully imaged.:)

@Travman A fine AC.

@Prester John I love the unique look of the Stag slabs on your AC. Great color.:thumbsup:

mitch4ging mitch4ging Hope your day is a good one, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I mistook the reflection in the top blade with patina when I looked at it on my phone! :D :thumbsup:
I'm just missing everything today, think I'll go back to bed, get up and try again!:confused:

Jack, most of that is the pantina, except at the end towards the tip is a little reflection. I thought the pantina matched the rust on the trunk quite well!:cool:
Thanks for the comment!

Jack Black Jack Black Hope you’re sipping a cold one after slaving over a hot router.:) Love that Ebony.

THanks Harvey, all out of beer I'm afraid! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

I'm just missing everything today, think I'll go back to bed, get up and try again!:confused:

Jack, most of that is the pantina, except at the end towards the tip is a little reflection. I thought the pantina matched the rust on the trunk quite well!:cool:
Thanks for the comment!

I noticed I had missed a few posts when I was going back over the last few pages to note down all the giveaway entrants :rolleyes:

Really Dennis? It looks pretty good, I do like the way these polished blades patina, you get all sorts of great colours, especially at first :) :thumbsup:

Cambertree Cambertree , where are you mate?!

Hey Guardians, belated congrats on the 1k pages - nice work Jack, and everyone who participates in this fine thread!:cool::thumbsup:

I kind of fell behind, then all of a sudden it was thirty, then sixty pages and more to catch up! I’m sure I’ve missed some great posts and pics.:(

I’ll have to take a new group pic, haven’t taken one in a while.

Here’s some old group pics from around 2017 evidently, contrasting the cover textures on my flock then:

qOU9z2i.jpg

WdYxQri.jpg

IEyySta.jpg

(Not an entry btw.)

My vote would be that the Schrade Landshark and the Space Knife are both ‘legitimate’ Lambsfoot variants, although it’s questionable how much knowledge (if any) the designers of those two models had of the original Real Lamb Foot type Sheffield town knife.

Here’s another ‘mini collection’ of Lambsfoot variants, the Lambshank, and the Frostfoot.

feUy5uS.jpg

Both knives were attempts at rendering the lineaments of the Lambsfoot blade in a useful fixed blade knife.

The Frostfoot was a reground Mora Frosts bait knife for the professional fishing industry. Originally it looked like this:

B09D0F48-0B1B-4E9A-9B3B-F9B94330E7B1.jpeg

I reground the spine into a tapered Lambsfoot type profile. The edge actually had a little hint of belly up towards the tip, which I left, as it was obviously designed to assist in slicing on boards, and the reground knife was an experiment in a ‘Lambsfoot kitchen knife’. I resharpened it, of course.

This knife now lives in Jack’s knife drawer, I’m told.

One interesting difference in the feel of the knife after being reground, was that the tapered spine to edge profile makes the knife have a more ‘poised’, lively feel, because of the steadily diminishing blade weight out to the tip. It was quite apparent on the larger knife, but I realised the same thing applies to the Lambsfoot pocketknife. It does feel more nimble - particularly when manipulating the tip area - in a way that a sheepsfoot blade or higonokami type blade profile lacks.

The Lambshank is a light, full tang, 3” bladed utility knife of my own design, which has already been discussed in this thread.

Dennis and John, I laughed at the thought of Dennis taking that pic in his doctors office too. I’m sure we can all relate to ‘that look’ from passersby when in the middle of taking a knife photo in public somewhere. That’s nothing, I’m sure, to the look Jack would have got if someone saw him placing Arthur on a fencepost and taking pics of him, LOL.:D

Dennis, I hope you get some treatment that works out for you, my friend.:)

Thanks, Jack. Here's the other side:
0dYVlAE.jpg

And Good Morning, Guardians!
Going to be a great day: got invited to a barbecue, and going to shoot my .45 calibre automatic (1911, of course--I AM a traditionalist!). :)

Sounds like a great day out Vince - your AC’s lookin’ fine, and the 1911’s a classic design to have on your hip too - when you’re not brandishing your light sabre!;):D:thumbsup::cool:

Out in the bush on the weekend:

g43Ihlv.jpg

90excek.jpg

xcDrVPk.jpg

But I’ve been carrying this Lefty Lambsfoot from Charlie ‘Waynorth’ today. Charlie very kindly sent it to me after I was griping about right handed traditional knives one day!:cool::D

1KmXK9I.jpg

Get well soon my friend.:)

Last edited:
Good Morning Guardians. I found this older Johnson Western Lambsfoot with the triple fluted bolster. I’m including more images in the hope that when Jack Black Jack Black is better rested, he will illuminate the find.
View attachment 1120059

View attachment 1120060

View attachment 1120061

View attachment 1120062

View attachment 1120063

Beautiful Christopher Johnson Harvey, well-photographed too :) I think I have one of their knives with a similar bolster, though it is not a Lambsfoot sadly. That's some beautiful stag isn't it? :) Are you wanting some historical notes on the firm? :thumbsup:

Hey Guardians, belated congrats on the 1k pages - nice work, Jack and everyone who participates in this fine thread!:cool::thumbsup:

I kind of fell behind, then all of a sudden it was thirty, then sixty pages and more to catch up! I’m sure I’ve missed some great posts and pics.:(

Here’s an some old group pics from around 2017 evidently, contrasting the cover textures on my flock then:

qOU9z2i.jpg

WdYxQri.jpg

IEyySta.jpg

(Not an entry btw.)

My vote would be that the Schrade Landshark and the Space Knife are both ‘legitimate’ Lambsfoot variants, although it’s questionable how much knowledge (if any) the designers of those two models had of the original Real Lamb Foot type Sheffield town knife.

Here’s another ‘mini collection’ of Lambsfoot variants, the Lambshank, and the Frostfoot.

feUy5uS.jpg

Both knives were attempts at rendering the lineaments of the Lambsfoot blade in a useful fixed blade knife.

The Frostfoot was a reground Mora Frosts bait knife for the professional fishing industry. Originally it looked like this:

View attachment 1120044

I reground the spine into a tapered Lambsfoot type profile. The edge actually had a little hint of belly up towards the tip, which I left, as it was obviously designed to assist in slicing on boards, and the reground knife was an experiment in a ‘Lambsfoot kitchen knife’. I resharpened it, of course.

One interesting difference in the feel of the knife after being reground, was that the tapered spine to edge profile makes the knife have a more ‘poised’, lively feel, because of the steadily diminishing blade weight out to the tip. It was quite apparent on the larger knife, but I realised the same thing applies to the Lambsfoot pocketknife. It does feel more nimble - in a way that a sheepsfoot blade or higonokami type blade profile doesn’t.

The Lambshank is a light, full tang, 3” bladed utility knife of my own design, which has already been discussed in this thread.

Dennis and John, I laughed at the thought of Dennis taking that pic in his doctors office too. I’m sure we can all relate to ‘that look’ from passersby when in the middle of taking a knife photo in public somewhere. That’s nothing, I’m sure, to the look Jack would have got if someone saw him placing Arthur on a fencepost and taking pics of him, LOL.:D

Sounds like a great day out Vince - your AC’s lookin’ fine, and the 1911’s a classic design to have on your hip too - when you’re not brandishing your light sabre!;):D:thumbsup::cool:

g43Ihlv.jpg

90excek.jpg

xcDrVPk.jpg

But I’ve been carrying this Lefty Lambsfoot from Charlie ‘Waynorth’ today. Charlie very kindly sent it to me after I was griping about right handed traditional knives one day!:cool::D

1KmXK9I.jpg

Great to see you here Chin :) Fantastic to see those beauties, and to see your Lambshank again, do you carry it regularly? The Frostfoot you kindly gifted me is on the magnetic knife rack on my kitchen wall, and was used only yesterday :) You have built up a good patina on your '19 already my friend, great pics. Hope you have a great May Day :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians. I found this older Johnson Western Lambsfoot with the triple fluted bolster. I’m including more images in the hope that when Jack Black Jack Black is better rested, he will illuminate the find.
View attachment 1120059

View attachment 1120060

View attachment 1120061

View attachment 1120062

View attachment 1120063
:eek: WOW! Count me as Jealous! A couple of great gems there, Harvey!! Do you have them under glass and on display in the main chamber?:D:thumbsup:
Thanks, Chin! I was a little nervous, but I was alone for about 15 minutes. Knife folk, they are a crazy lot!:D:thumbsup:
Hey Guardians, belated congrats on the 1k pages - nice work, Jack and everyone who participates in this fine thread!:cool::thumbsup:

Here’s an some old group pics from around 2017 evidently, contrasting the cover textures on my flock then:

qOU9z2i.jpg

WdYxQri.jpg

IEyySta.jpg

(Not an entry btw.)

feUy5uS.jpg

View attachment 1120044

One interesting difference in the feel of the knife after being reground, was that the tapered spine to edge profile makes the knife have a more ‘poised’, lively feel, because of the steadily diminishing blade weight out to the tip. It was quite apparent on the larger knife, but I realised the same thing applies to the Lambsfoot pocketknife. It does feel more nimble - in a way that a sheepsfoot blade or higonokami type blade profile doesn’t.

g43Ihlv.jpg

90excek.jpg

xcDrVPk.jpg

1KmXK9I.jpg

Wow! A fantastic selection there, my friend!:):thumbsup:

Beautiful Christopher Johnson Harvey, well-photographed too :) I think I have one of their knives with a similar bolster, though it is not a Lambsfoot sadly. That's some beautiful stag isn't it? :) Are you wanting some historical notes on the firm? :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack. The beautiful Stag was one of the reasons. I was hoping that not now, with all that is currently on your plate, but later on. I already did a preliminary investigation, but would enjoy hearing your best guess about the age and details of this sample. But please...Not now. Later is fine.:thumbsup::)

mitch4ging mitch4ging Thank you kindly for the nice words, Dennis. I’m not that organized. Resting on a polishing towel on a chair.:)

Thank you Jack. The beautiful Stag was one of the reasons. I was hoping that not now, with all that is currently on your plate, but later on. I already did a preliminary investigation, but would enjoy hearing your best guess about the age and details of this sample. But please...Not now. Later is fine.:thumbsup::)

mitch4ging mitch4ging Thank you kindly for the nice words, Dennis. I’m not that organized. Resting on a polishing towel on a chair.:)

Remind me please Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Jolipapa Jolipapa Nice Lamb family. That Barlow Lamb looks very nice. Is that a custom.?
Thank you! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I love to use it. This was made by late Trevor Ablett. Loaded with tons of spirit. She's a show stealer, each time I use it in for lunch, be it with fellow bikers or in more mundane resturants somebody gets curious and start a conversation about knives of yore etc. :)
The horn is really particular and feels warm in the hand when you use it.

Back