Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Congratulations Joshua! :thumbsup: :)

Congratulations Joshua, Big'un is very beautiful, as are the rest of the gifts!!!;):thumbsup:

Part 2 :rolleyes:

Rarely go wrong with ravishing ribs!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the pottery info, Dennis (and Preston). :):cool::cool:
I hope you start feeling better ASAP!

Jack I hope the medical appointments went well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Looks like spring has finally arrived! :thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Enjoy the Big Iron, Ron; it's a looker! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Best wishes for the move, and I hope we'll see you toting' the Totem soon, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the fascinating and historically informative post, Jack. :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight into your motivation for your distinctive pics, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I admire your unbridled optimism, Jer! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info about how you use your lambsfoot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on the wonderful swag, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Jack continues to amaze! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I don't have any military experience, but don't all those "chevrons" on the horn handle indicate that you've been promoted in the ranks of the Guardians?? ;) Your size comments make me want to call your new knife Little Big Horn! :rolleyes::p

Fantastic shot, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lam Jack again:
View attachment 1128664

- GT

Thank you all! GT, I'm going to have to adopt "Little Big Horn" because it just makes sense!

Congrats @Misplaced Hillbilly! Lovely rosewood you have there.

I received my K'roo lambsfoot yesterday. It is exquisite!

fullsizeoutput_2e80.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2e81.jpeg

Nice pics guys :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, that's a great tribute pic :thumbsup:

Thank you Preston :) I'm actually creating an internet 'hot spot' with my phone, and connecting my PC to it with Bluetooth. Fiddly, but not as fiddly as trying to do everything on my phone. I only have an 8GB data allowance though, so I need to sort out something else :thumbsup:

I enjoy all the photos posted here, sometimes use filters myself, or at least play around with the light levels :) We are lucky to have such great photographers as yourself my friend :thumbsup:

mmY63Am.jpg

LOL! :D I still didn't! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Yes, a real shame David :( The last couple of times I was in Malton, I was just passing through, but when I last visited properly, I noticed a few of the old pubs had closed. The place is definitely seeing gentrification. A good rail connection can be a curse to a small town these days, as well as a blessing :thumbsdown:

Lovely, colourful pic my friend :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, with the convoluted history typical to Sheffield cutlery manufacture, one can only learn so much about a knife from reading about the company whose name it bears, particularly when it comes to trying to date it. Really one needs to examine it in hand, but clear, unfiltered photos help, particularly of all parts of the knife, the joint, the blade well, etc (more convenient for discussion if they are not uploaded directly, so show as photos rather than links). My guess would be that your knife actually dates from the late 19th century, but I think it was almost certainly manufactured FOR Hunter's, by another quality Sheffield cutlers, rather than by the firm themselves. Sometimes forensic examination, and comparison to other knives from the same period, can give clues as to which firm or cutler might have made the knife, though generally it is not possible to tell. As with computers and search engines, for example, the better information you put in, the better information you are likely to get out ;) :thumbsup:

The Pale Rider seems to be getting paler Jose! :D :) :thumbsup:

Great stuff Steve, hope they're nice ones, I do think it's pretty cool they make left-handed models :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words Dwight, and for yet another fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

Glad it made it OK Joshua :thumbsup:

The first thing I thought about, when I heard, was @OLd_gUY 's post just the other day :( :thumbsup:

The nose of the blade is a tad more pinchable, and also the longer blade makes them easier to open I think :) :thumbsup:

Cool pics Vince :) :thumbsup:

Is that happening here Joshua? :eek: Horn is affected by atmospheric conditions such as temperature and humidity. The only problem I've had myself is when I left a couple of horn knives out in very strong sunlight, so they got HOT to the touch. The horn started to peel away from the liners, but a couple of weeks later, the horn was back to how it was before. Joshua, if you check the index, there's a whole load of posts on looking after horn, I know that a couple of members here have had problems in the past, probably because of where they live. Horn is beautiful, but I probably wouldn't use it again for a Guardians knife, for example, simply because our members live in very different places in terms of the climate and weather :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, it's only taken me an hour to get through everyone's post today, but still, I better get my skates on, and get moving. Nice sunny day here today, hope everyone's week is going OK :thumbsup:

ccqcvWq.jpg
Thanks Jack, I find it simply amazing that you are able to keep up and with the posts in this thread and add the personal and historical points. Many thanks again for all that you do!
Thank you Jack for putting so much effort into this, as well as my “old man” grumblings. It’s like being in a Lambsfoot and its’ History Master Class. I apologize for my grumblings. Nice Lambsfoot in Nature “painting.” Your Image of your fine Damascus Lambsfoot needs no filter. Hope your therapy visits were helpful. I also hope your connection issues are working toward resolution.

@Foddering -I’m with you, Dwight. If I were to get on skates...That will no longer ever happen. Always a fine view of your Damascus Lambsfoot.

Jack Black Jack Black I forgot to mention that the M. Hunter does have 1/2 stops.

Good Morning Guardians

Along with the M. Hunter, I also received this William Roger Lambsfoot.
View attachment 1128243

View attachment 1128244
Harvey, congratulations, you are acquiring such interesting Lambsfoot. I admire your dedication and commitment to the pattern and it's history.
2IughRm.jpg
aIdlIWw.jpg
IOzaOWG.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, a new guardian has recieved his Lambsfoot and is reporting for duty!
Welcome and congratulations, David, that is a fine example of the Lambsfoot.
About 24 hours ago, I "multi-quoted" a large number of posts from 8-10 pages in the thread. I often select posts before bed at night and then post responses to them before breakfast the next morning :thumbsup::thumbsup:, and that was my intent last night. But when I got up this morning I discovered that my computer (or the gremlins that control it) had decided to update several software apps and to reboot the computer. All of my lambsfoot multi-quotes disappeared with the restart. :eek::mad: I went through my post selection process again this morning, but then got too busy to post responses. So I'll do that in the morning. :rolleyes:

I'm really here now just to post another photo of my horn lambsfoot I'm carrying this week, the inimitable Lam Jack:
View attachment 1128511

- GT
Gary, I've had those same gremlins...they are not playing nice, Lam Jack is looking good...no gremlins there!
Part 2 :rolleyes:

Rarely go wrong with ravishing ribs!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the pottery info, Dennis (and Preston). :):cool::cool:
I hope you start feeling better ASAP!

Jack I hope the medical appointments went well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Looks like spring has finally arrived! :thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Enjoy the Big Iron, Ron; it's a looker! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Best wishes for the move, and I hope we'll see you toting' the Totem soon, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the fascinating and historically informative post, Jack. :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight into your motivation for your distinctive pics, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I admire your unbridled optimism, Jer! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info about how you use your lambsfoot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on the wonderful swag, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Jack continues to amaze! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I don't have any military experience, but don't all those "chevrons" on the horn handle indicate that you've been promoted in the ranks of the Guardians?? ;) Your size comments make me want to call your new knife Little Big Horn! :rolleyes::p

Fantastic shot, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lam Jack again:
View attachment 1128664

- GT
Quite and post, even in two parts. Great dedication on your part.
Good Morning Guardians
My morning routine... I'm drinking coffee, reading the Guardian thread, and preparing for work.
Have a great day John, that is a really nice photo.

Well Guardians, it's over the hump day, hope your week is going well.
I've had several mornings of bright blue sun shiny skies...then the clouds roll in with thunder and lightning.
Yesterday while dog training we had 'micro-bursts', we were in a plowed field and the loose dirt made it like being in a sandblaster. Wind gusts were so strong it was hard to stand up right. The wind blew from every direction during the course of the day, but, any day with Dutch is a good day. I carried my '19 DI Lambsfoot.
IMG_1124.JPG

Maybe the challenge is that you're one of the few that actually have their names explicitly in their username. :rolleyes::confused:
When I joined, I thought no one used their real name, so I just tried to come up with something a little obscure. Didn't give much thought to it, but don't feel like changing it.
There are some clever usernames. I like yours, e.g. Also, "Misplaced Hillbilly" and "Jack Black" (and that's his real name!). Lots of good ones.

This one in my pocket now:
l7SaYiA.jpg

Good morning, Guardians!

Last edited:
When I joined, I thought no one used their real name, so I just tried to come up with something a little obscure. Didn't give much thought to it, but don't feel like changing it.
There are some clever usernames. I like yours, e.g. Also, "Misplaced Hillbilly" and "Jack Black" (and that's his real name!). Lots of good ones.

l7SaYiA.jpg

Good morning, Guardians!
Most of my forum experience has come from forums that require a real username. The habit just kind of stuck with me. It creates a sense of ownership to everything you post, and it keeps the idiots from hiding behind their anonymous names. Very nice carry today, Vince. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I've heard that blond horn lambsfoots (horny blonds?? :confused:) have more fun. :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Those shades look like they belong with the old license plate in the garage! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Lam Jack again:
jan18-gl-pile-open-bht-jpg.1128664

That is the one I take out on Saturday nights. :D
You're right about the glasses, they came from the same empire of dirt. :D

Lamb Jack is looking dapper as ever. :thumbsup:

and one from the Lambsfoot photo archive.
42619846400_57bd2f285d_h.jpg

Have a great day Guardians!

I could be wrong, but it seems that not all A. Wright Lamb foot knives have "real lamb foot" etched on the blade. Is there a rhyme or reason for this?

Thanks for your interest in the Lambsfoot pattern Travis :thumbsup: As per the subforum guidelines (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tional-folders-fixed-blades-sub-forum.530532/), we try to keep commercial discussion out of this thread, talking about the knives themselves, rather than the BUYING of knives. If you ever become a paid BF member, I'd be happy to send you specific advice by private message. If you go to post #1, you'll find a link to the thread index, which will give you good information on current makers. There are also still some very nice old Lambsfoot knives to be found :thumbsup:

sorry about stepping out of bounds in my questioning.
Ill look into getting a paid membership and if I do you'll be getting a pm from me.

And thanks for the info ill start researching those makers listed already in the thread.

Hopefully ill be posting up a picture in this thread soon.
Travis

Thanks, PJ. :)

The wind and dirt sound horrible, but your picture looks beautiful and peaceful. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks John, the wind and dirt were bad, my eyes are still red and scratchy. That picture was taken in my yard the morning before.

l7SaYiA.jpg

Good morning, Guardians!
Great shot of your AC, Vince. I thought the same thing, but couldn't come up with anything clever, so just used my initials:)
That is the one I take out on Saturday nights. :D
You're right about the glasses, they came from the same empire of dirt. :D

Lamb Jack is looking dapper as ever. :thumbsup:

and one from the Lambsfoot photo archive.
42619846400_57bd2f285d_h.jpg

Have a great day Guardians!
Great shot...'the attack of the giant Lambsfoot':D

Back