1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hey folks, I have something slightly off-topic to ask you I have often wondered about? Is it any way considered rude or unpatriotic to abbreviate United States of America? The reason I ask is because it is sometimes difficult for me to fit United States of America on an envelope, and I don't want to offend anyone, but nor do I want them not to receive their package because the postal worker can't read the tiny writing I have to use :confused: I'd be grateful for an education. Thanks folks :) :thumbsup:

dc50, Fodderwing and cigarrodog like this.
  2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    My opinion is that either "USA" or simply "United States" is fine. Not rude or unpatriotic. I think "USA" is chanted at some sporting events.

3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Vince, the reason I ask is that when I ask folks in the US for their address, about half of them use the full form, even though I have asked them to abbreviate wherever possible. I just wondered if I was committing a faux pas, you never know because things change from country to country, and from culture to culture. What is considered perfectly normal in one place can be considered downright rude in another. I'm grateful for the info :thumbsup:

lans8939, dc50, WhittlinAway and 3 others like this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Like Vince said, "USA" is totally fine.
    Some of us are just intimidated and want to follow the rules exactly. :D

lans8939, dc50, Prester John and 2 others like this.
  5. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using the abbreviation. IMO:thumbsup:

lans8939, dc50, Prester John and 2 others like this.
  6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks guys :thumbsup:

As an aside, the first year I did the Guardians knives, I noticed the small number of Canadians included their country in their address, but only one of the American members - @r8shell! :D These days, there are usually one or two folks who miss it off :) Last year, it was just one, but I'll spare his blushes by naming him ;) :D :thumbsup:

dc50, Cambertree, TFBraden and 4 others like this.
  7. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Probably me.:eek:

dc50 and cigarrodog like this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! It wasn't you Mark! :D :thumbsup:

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    My back is a little sore, so I thought, having drunk my solitary beer, I would relax it a little with a Rusty Nail ;) No ice in the freezer though! :eek: Can't drink a Rusty Nail without ice, so I will just have to drink Scotch! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

10. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Now that’s something to look forward to. Have a great visit.

It’s a Boss 35 in distressed and forced patina brass.

USA is short and sweet, and works every time.

dc50, Cambertree, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Harvey, really looking forward to seeing him :) Hopefully I can snap a few pics too :thumbsup:

12. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    You know me - always gotta put my 2 cents worth in :confused:
    If I recall correctly from grammar school :rolleyes:, when addressing an envelope or package, the accepted abbreviation is USA - just as the abbreviation for the United Kingdom is UK.
    The abbreviation of U.S. would be used in correspondence as would capital u and capital s without periods (US) and both are interchangeable and considered acceptable.
    The only other things I seem to recall from grammar school right now, for some strange reason, is that Caracas is the capital of Venezuela and "I before E except after C, or when sounding like A as in neighbor or weigh" :confused:

donn, dc50, Cambertree and 4 others like this.
  13. WHT

WHT Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2016
    Feel free to abbreviate. I put the full title because I didn't want to confuse it with the Union of South Africa. I really appreciate your efforts as I have been responsible for too many of your emails today. Keep up the good work and I looking forward to seeing the Barlow in "the flesh."

dc50, TFBraden, Fodderwing and 2 others like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks OG :D :thumbsup:

Good point, and thank you :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

donn, Pàdruig, Ramrodmb and 10 others like this.
  15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    We just enjoy writing "United States of America"! ;)

cigarrodog and JohnDF like this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    :D :thumbsup:

cigarrodog and Prester John like this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    You remember a lot more than I do from Grammar School. I just remember the girl that sat next to me had warts. Traumatizing :D

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! And don't sit on the radiators or you'll get chewing-gum on your backside! :D :thumbsup:

dc50, TFBraden, cigarrodog and 2 others like this.
  19. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Such beauties.
    It's going to be a long (few weeks) wait.

dc50, TFBraden, cigarrodog and 4 others like this.
  20. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Bobby Dazzler :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: