Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I've had another day of replying to emails, and I'm going to do another half hour before packing it in until Wednesday. Duncan has come a long way to see me tomorrow, and I have a few things I need to sort out for him tonight. We are due a month's worth of rain in the next 24 hours, and York, where we are meeting, is prone to flooding, so Duncan might be getting a tour of York by boat! :rolleyes: I'll try and call in later if I can, but otherwise it'll be tomorrow night at the earliest :thumbsup:

Those are beautiful Jack! :thumbsup: I appreciate all you do my friend! :) Please tell Duncan and Sue hello and I hope y’all have a fantastic visit! :cool:

This Ironwood beauty resides in Tennessee, USA! :eek: :D

33558286548_0474c7b4e0_b_d.jpg

I've had another day of replying to emails, and I'm going to do another half hour before packing it in until Wednesday. Duncan has come a long way to see me tomorrow, and I have a few things I need to sort out for him tonight. We are due a month's worth of rain in the next 24 hours, and York, where we are meeting, is prone to flooding, so Duncan might be getting a tour of York by boat! :rolleyes: I'll try and call in later if I can, but otherwise it'll be tomorrow night at the earliest :thumbsup:

Starts June 10:eek:
38E64EDD-5635-4BC6-B907-13198328CB8F_zpsrcvovaal.jpeg

Jack Black Jack Black - I hope you and Duncan have a great time Jack. Be sure to wear you lifejackets! :D Say hi to the Kiwi for me.

@flatblackcapo - I am a fan of Who but even more so "Guess Who". I just thought it was very clever - Add one "E" to "THE" and you were addressing Jack for sure. :D But then you are a consistently clever character... :D :D :D

View attachment 1142390
These eyes can see for miles and miles....;)

What a dandy DamSamLamb, Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words, GT! Great to see you posting more frequently, here and elsewhere!

Thank you for your kind words, Harvey. I'm thrilled that the index continues to be useful despite the fact that I failed at my goal of keeping it up to date.

I've noticed that people sometimes refer to it as my Greg's Index or WhittlinAway's Index. That makes me uncomfortable because the effort to build it extended far beyond myself. To me, it's the Guardians' Index. I got the ball rolling and coordinated the effort, but Jack Black Jack Black , @strokednbored, @Jolipapa, @Cambertree, and 5K Qs 5K Qs all contributed to the effort. In fact, they are responsible for indexing far more pages than I did. The index wouldn't exist without them and they should continue to share the credit for it.

The pace and content of the thread has changed a lot since the index was first created and last updated. That's a good thing and testament to the vibrant community that it reflects. Unfortunately, though, the process and software behind the index aren't suited to handling the new scale. Some day I hope to be able rectify that, but, for the foreseeable future, the Guardians' Index will have to remain a reference for the thread's early years.

Greg, your efforts and those of the others you mentioned are laudable, the index was quite the project and will continue to serve those who come here, seeking information, very well. At this point, as I feel that this thread has evolved into more of a community thread (not an indictment, in case a disclaimer is needed), I think attempting to index content from the last 6-8 months, maybe even a year, might be close to impossible or, at the very least, quite difficult. I think the index, as it stands, is an immensely useful tool and probably requires no revisions, unless references to Jack's excellent SFOs are required.

Good morning Guardians! This thread moves so quickly that I have an extremely difficult time just keeping up and reading every post. Trying to reply and engage in actual conversation here nearly gives me anxiety. I just have too many other things to do at the same time. That's actually the reason I haven't posted here much lately.

With that said, I will try my best, but I dont mean any offense if it takes me a while to respond. I'm pretty quick with the 'like' button though!

While it hasn't really been used, this is probably my second favorite lambsfoot knife. I often carry it and rub it like a worry stone on my daily 3-4 hour commute. I'll probably wear out the stag before the blade!

Jack, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this is the same frame as the Hartshead Barlow.

Hope you all have a great week!

9j2d8i.jpg

2a0c9j8.jpg

I love the file work on this. It is magnificent. I have in transit a similar lambs foot. I hope it will be here soon. I don't think it is as elaborate as yours. Good catch.

Thanks for your kind words and observations on the index, JohnDF JohnDF , Jack Black Jack Black , cigarrodog cigarrodog , and Pàdruig Pàdruig . Much appreciated.

Today was a buffalo horn day. Its first task was opening up a package of hot links for lunch:

htheVXkh.jpg

Having completed its most important task of the day—hot links are tasty; cardboard and plastic are not: the hot links had to be freed—it got to relax a bit while I enjoyed some iced coffee on this very hot day:

I1gpzRuh.jpg

And, finally, because it's Monday and the recycling is picked up in the morning, it got to break down cardboard boxes. I'm pretty sure that's its favorite task:

QrnIr6dh.jpg

You can see from the light scratches in this last photo that this knife puts in a lot of work. It seems to love it, though, and just keeps on tackling more.

Have a great week, everyone.

Last edited:
Dang it! I picked out these posts last night, but am only getting around to commenting now. What ever happened to my efficiency??
@Foddering Sorry about the Mudbug, Dwight. I know the feeling as I seek high and low for my Dami Senator.
Good Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1141293
Good Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1141863
Harvey, I got a knot in the pit of my stomach when I read you couldn't find your senator! :eek::( But later I found a post in which what appears to be your senator appears with a cool flashlight. So the lost lamb has been found? :cool::cool::thumbsup:
That Crookes lambsfoot is a jewel on its bed of diamonds! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT. When I photograph the same two knives over and over and over again, it's nice to change things up a bit. :)

Enjoy your lunch and beverage, you've earned it. :cool: :thumbsup:
Sounds like a good knife pic principle, John. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
My lunch Saturday was very enjoyable, eating yellow tortilla chips with raspberry chipotle salsa my wife found somewhere. :):cool:

ah GT, I am but a gullible Lamb. :p
View attachment 1141328
Somehow, I'm not buying that, Dave, but I love the lamb in sheepskin clothing! :p:D

Thank you GT. Well after going 12 rounds, you’re still standing. Hope the “beat-up” feeling eases soon.

I hate to burst your bubble, GT, but you hit the mark more often than not. That Valley Jack is a good example. Look...I take plenty of stinkers, too. That’s why I spend so much time on getting the right shots. Even then, I’m rarely pleased. Just do your thing. It pleases everyone.

Here’s another ad.
View attachment 1141330
Good advice, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I guess each of us is our own worst critic in knife photography (as well as plenty of other arenas).
I like those Cooper's Dip ads; I would have bought it! ;)

That sounds like quite an ordeal GT :eek: Glad it's over, and I hope the prognosis for the future is good my friend :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words GT, that's a great pic of your Valley Jack :) :thumbsup:
HfGlXNM.jpg
Thanks for the positive remarks, Jack. :)
Those Barlows and their britches are beguiling! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

... I've spent most of my time and energy on this thread and wanted to let you all know that I'll be spending less time around and that it is for good reasons. Thanks for welcoming me to the best thread on the forums. I hope to remain a Guardian, even if it is in a much diminished capacity.

God bless you all.

~Joshua
Thanks for all of your contributions to making this the best thread on the forums, Joshua, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed here again whenever you have an opportunity to visit! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Numbers 6:24-26

Cheers Guardians :) A stout chocolate and a chocolate stout :D ;) :thumbsup:

f0qRmvI.jpg
That's a potent pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

While I was out doing yard work, I noticed the very symmetrical shadow on the birdhouse.
Hey, I'm a Math teacher and just a little CDO... I mean OCD... I always want that to be alphabetical.
Of course the first thing that jumps into my mind is, "Wow, that would make a great Lambsfoot picture." :D

I carry a Lambsfoot because...

Photo ops are everywhere.
:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: Skoll looks like a fire wolf in this shot!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::eek:

Not only are you a nice guy who knows knives and posts stunning photos, but you're also a "moth whisperer"?? :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

And a lovely valley it is, GT!
Mine today...
vYS8aZr.jpg
Thanks for the support you give all of us, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
That blond horn of yours is so distinctive; sure glad you decided to keep it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Afternoon friends,

A break is on the horizon. I've got two more work trips and I finally get some time off. Unfortunately, that comes with my fifth knee surgery (between the two), but that's life. Regardless it'll be nice to take a breath and have some actual down time. I did get to spend six days in the Sierras in May, which was lovely, but was forced out of the mountains early after spending 30 hours bunkered down @ 11,500’ in a white out.

My companion continues to be the stag Lambsfoot on a daily basis; I don't know where I'd be had WhittlinAway not gifted me my first Lambsfoot almost three years ago now.

View attachment 1141605

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

View attachment 1141604
Thanks for the update! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope your surgery/rehab is trouble-free. Your stag lambsfoot is handsome as heck!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. :thumbsup::D I have to share a quick story about my bright blue Yorkshire key fob.
... long story short I was saved from embarrassment and a fine by Jacks Yorkshire key fob. :thumbsup::thumbsup::p:D
What a great story with a happy ending due to the global "reach" of Yorkshire! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Fantastic story Dave, Yorkshire comes to the rescue! :D I'm glad you got your fob back my friend :) :thumbsup:

I lost one of my keys last weekend, absolutely no idea how it happened, as it was just the one key that worked its way off my key-ring or something. ...
And Jack survives a similar key escapade! :eek::thumbsup::D
Maybe we should expand the name of our august organization to Guardians of the Lambsfoot and Keepers of the Keys! :rolleyes:

Twist my arm :eek: Well, if I must - I must :rolleyes:

Bridal Veil Fall
1Ras5Q0.jpg
OMG OG!! Breathtaking! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys. It was a quick trip just to check out the water conditions. The water is still a little fast and off-color, but maybe just a couple of more weeks until it's right. I did spend a chilly hour testing the waters, but all the fish were hiding and being shy. Still, it was great to get back out there, as Dwight put it, in "The Creator's Cathedral". :cool: :thumbsup:

Glad you could get out for some reconnaissance, John. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for the pics; it's good to see the rosewood on the river! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

RALF is back in pocket after a brief hiatus: all is well with the world!

WTnPDeX.jpg
RALF is looking better than ever, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Whose idea was the hiatus, yours or RALF's?? ;)

Duncan has arrived in England from New Zealand, and I am looking forward to meeting up with him in York on Tuesday :) :thumbsup:

See he brought the good weather with him! :rolleyes:

View attachment 1141928
I hope you have an enjoyable and memorable time with your visitors, Jack! :):):cool:

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

As an aside, the first year I did the Guardians knives, I noticed the small number of Canadians included their country in their address, but only one of the American members - @r8shell! :D These days, there are usually one or two folks who miss it off :) Last year, it was just one, but I'll spare his blushes by naming him ;) :D :thumbsup:
OK, the rest of you American Guardians can stop worrying - it was I! :(:oops::oops:
I can make up some excuses, though. (Let me know if any of them are plausible. :rolleyes:)
- before ordering, I happened to read both E.E. Hale's "The Man Without a Country" and K. Vonnegut's A Man Without a Country.
- I had heard that America had been made great again, so I thought my country needed no introduction.
- I ordered 2 days before my first cataract surgery, so I was somewhat preoccupied.
- I wanted to do something that would let me secure my place in the annals (anals?) of the Guardians.

OK, moving on to my Lambsfoot of this Week ... The schedule says we're back to the start of the alphabet, so Black Jack, the 2018 ebony Guardians Lambsfoot is my sidekick for the week. (Special Honor: Black Jack will accompany me to the 50-year reunion of my high school graduating class.)
BJ.mark.V.wisteria.jpg

- GT

OK, the rest of you American Guardians can stop worrying - it was I! :(:oops::oops:
I can make up some excuses, though. (Let me know if any of them are plausible. :rolleyes:)
- before ordering, I happened to read both E.E. Hale's "The Man Without a Country" and K. Vonnegut's A Man Without a Country.
- I had heard that America had been made great again, so I thought my country needed no introduction.
- I ordered 2 days before my first cataract surgery, so I was somewhat preoccupied.
- I wanted to do something that would let me secure my place in the annals (anals?) of the Guardians.
I find them all plausible. :thumbsup:
OK, moving on to my Lambsfoot of this Week ... The schedule says we're back to the start of the alphabet, so Black Jack, the 2018 ebony Guardians Lambsfoot is my sidekick for the week. (Special Honor: Black Jack will accompany me to the 50-year reunion of my high school graduating class.)
bj-mark-v-wisteria-jpg.1142722
That Black Beauty is an appropriate tote to a 50th reunion. A black tie affair?
My 40th would be this year. Only went to the 20th. Hope you have a great time.

Not only are you a nice guy who knows knives and posts stunning photos, but you're also a "moth whisperer"??
Thanks GT. I'm afraid possession of one half of a moth wing would make me a mighty poor whisperer! :D
Black Jack has some fine ebony my friend.

cigarrodog cigarrodog - Harvey I just now saw your post about losing the dama lamb senator. Did you find it? I'm hoping like GT that the photo with the flashlight means you did indeed find it.

:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: Skoll looks like a fire wolf in this shot!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::eek:
Always chasing the Sun, GT. :D

Thanks for the pics; it's good to see the rosewood on the river! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
The Rosewood likes going to the mountains.

Black Jack will accompany me to the 50-year reunion of my high school graduating class.
Hope you have a fun time, GT. I've never been to any of my high school reunions, nobody there I really want to see again. ;)

Dang it! I picked out these posts last night, but am only getting around to commenting now. What ever happened to my efficiency??

Harvey, I got a knot in the pit of my stomach when I read you couldn't find your senator! :eek::( But later I found a post in which what appears to be your senator appears with a cool flashlight. So the lost lamb has been found? :cool::cool::thumbsup:
That Crookes lambsfoot is a jewel on its bed of diamonds! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like a good knife pic principle, John. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
My lunch Saturday was very enjoyable, eating yellow tortilla chips with raspberry chipotle salsa my wife found somewhere. :):cool:

Somehow, I'm not buying that, Dave, but I love the lamb in sheepskin clothing! :p:D

Good advice, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I guess each of us is our own worst critic in knife photography (as well as plenty of other arenas).
I like those Cooper's Dip ads; I would have bought it! ;)

Thanks for the positive remarks, Jack. :)
Those Barlows and their britches are beguiling! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for all of your contributions to making this the best thread on the forums, Joshua, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed here again whenever you have an opportunity to visit! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Numbers 6:24-26

That's a potent pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Not only are you a nice guy who knows knives and posts stunning photos, but you're also a "moth whisperer"?? :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks for the support you give all of us, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
That blond horn of yours is so distinctive; sure glad you decided to keep it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the update! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope your surgery/rehab is trouble-free. Your stag lambsfoot is handsome as heck!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

What a great story with a happy ending due to the global "reach" of Yorkshire! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

And Jack survives a similar key escapade! :eek::thumbsup::D
Maybe we should expand the name of our august organization to Guardians of the Lambsfoot and Keepers of the Keys! :rolleyes:

OMG OG!! Breathtaking! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad you could get out for some reconnaissance, John. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for the pics; it's good to see the rosewood on the river! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

RALF is looking better than ever, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Whose idea was the hiatus, yours or RALF's?? ;)

I hope you have an enjoyable and memorable time with your visitors, Jack! :):):cool:

View attachment 1142722

- GT
Hi GT. I had that same awful feeling when I misplaced the Senator. My wife, though, is usually happy when I do, because she knows I’m motivated to clean out the various, virtual hoarder class piles that I create. After I did that, and still couldn’t find the Senator, I next went to my studio...I mean my garage, and then found the precious tin underneath, of course, yet another pile. Major relief. The Dami Senator is my favorite Lambsfoot. Thank you for the empathy.

Next to the Senator, my favorite Lambsfoot is the 2018 Ebony. Don’t have one, just love it. Your Black Jack is stellar.

When I was a kid, I read some version of the Man Without a Country and came away saddened by his fate. It was the first time I was introduced to the notion of “be careful what you ask for.”

I hope you have recovered from your ocular torture at the Dr’s office. Have fun at the Reunion.

Whose idea was the hiatus, yours or RALF's?? ;)

It was mine, I'm afraid. Too many nice knives and so few pockets! Even though I double down by carrying a Cadet and (usually) RALF at home, plus a different Cadet and a larger knife when I go out, sometimes I just gotta carry something different. With D-Day being this past week, I was carrying my late '40s Camillus #12 jack to honor the heroes.

Morning folks, just having some toast and marmalade at Leeds central station before I board the train to go and meet Duncan in York. Marmalade was a factor in our last encounter (there's a thread somewhere), so it seemed appropriate! :D I'm looking forward to seeing the big guy, and hoping the forecast of apocalyptic weather is somewhat exaggerated. See you all soon I hope :thumbsup:

Jack

Back