Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning, Guardians!
C6LGnuW.jpg

A package from Leeds arrived!:):cool:

Firstly though, just let me say that I enjoyed the discussion around convict transportation and working in the prison system, last time I posted here.:thumbsup:

It’s Guardians ancient history by now, but I just wanted to say thanks to David/Donn, Jack, OG, and John for the fascinating details. I’m very sorry for my belated acknowledgment.:(

I’ve been up in the Victorian High Country recently, so here’s a few pics:

Looking down onto a walnut plantation on the valley floor:
EnzZOPE.jpg

My trusty Ironsides:
oDNWDSn.jpg

Sambar deer country:
sGVsoXH.jpg

unSF7Bt.jpg

It’s always nice to get back down and warm up and enjoy a good country meal at the local pub:

ESdmpO8.jpg

1cTyIUw.jpg

8ffdu4W.jpg

The dish is called Flatty Tails, a common species of local saltwater fish.

@cudgee - I daresay you recognise this neck of the woods, mate!;)

Jack and Duncan @Campbellclanman - it was so cool you lads got to catch up again in York.

I enjoyed all the pics and narrative. Old Jorvik town will definitely have to be on the cards next time I can make it over to visit!

We also had a mini Guardians member catchup in Melbourne recently.

Cudgee and I had been chatting on an Australian knife forum, and arranged to meet, and go over some knives. (Cudgee also very kindly gifted me a nice pair of handmade knives - thanks again, my friend.:cool:)

Cudgee has family connections out in the west of Victoria, where the eastern end of the infamous Shipwreck Coastline begins, an area I’ve previously written about in another Porch thread.

We had a very interesting discussion about the Lambsfoot pattern in Australia.

Cudgee recalled that as a boy, he noticed that the old farmers in the Western District stockyards often had Sheffield made Lambsfoots (although he only learned what they were called later). When he asked them about the curious blade shape, they said it was the ideal working knife around the farm, better suited for hard general duties than the clip bladed Bunny Knife. Apparently they weren’t often called Lambsfoots though, but were just referred to as Working Knives or Work Knives.

Now, although we’ve had the pleasure of Cudgee’s company for a little while now on the Porch, I thought I’d do the honours to officially bring him into the Guardians with a picture of his Lambsfoot knife:

ehLPQhU.jpg

It’s a Joseph Rodgers Barlow Lambsfoot alongside my Ol’ Reliable Ebony.

Welcome, mate!:)

Now for the wonderful contents of the package from Leeds:

Jack you’ve really done an outstanding job on the packaging and presentation of these Barlows.

I love the tin, and the signed slip with historical notes, along with the Yorkshire Rose badge.

The woollen Yorkshire broadcloth slip is also a superb inclusion and gift to the Guardians community from Jack.

Mine also arrived with some personal touches, which are greatly appreciated - a unique coin :cool:;), which I may have to start carrying as a lucky talisman in the same way I hear some of you US Guardians carry silver dollars, and a book which I’ve read from cover to cover already, on the Derry ‘Bogside Artists’ who are responsible for many of the famous murals in that community.

Thanks so much Jack, I was like a kid at Christmas, opening up my package!

Now the knife itself is one of the nicest Lambsfoots I’ve seen. I don’t know how Jack does it, but each successive knife seems to outdo the previous one!

It’s no secret that some of us here prefer all steel construction on our slipjoints, for strength and durability, and also so they will be immune to the verdigris which can develop over time around brass pins and liners. I prefer all-steel fittings too, so I’ve been looking forward to this Barlow for that reason alone.

But even though I’ve been enjoying all the great pics here, I wasn’t prepared for just how fine these knives are in person.

Ashley’s done absolutely stellar work on these - they’re tightly fitted and constructed, and have excellent, user friendly walk and talk, while still retaining a nice handmade warmth, rather than a clinical machine-made feel.

The Sambar cover scales are very fine, with a wonderfully satisfying tactile texture on both sides, which will make it a perfect worry-stone.

There are two historical, aesthetic touches that most people on the Porch seem to really enjoy, and which don’t really have an equivalent in the modern knife world, and those are the multiplicity of Barlow bolster motifs, and the old Sheffield blade and tang stamps.

Jack has combined all these elements in this outstanding synthesis of two favourite Porch pocketknife patterns: the Barlow and the Lambsfoot.

I recall a conversation in this thread some time ago on the Wright ‘Candelabra’ stamp which is usually used on their Whittle-tang Bowies.

I searched for it and it was waaay back on page 44! So it’s very neat, I think, that Jack worked out a way to incorporate it onto a Lambsfoot knife. I think it’s a very tasteful and classic looking Barlow bolster stamp.

The tang stamp is deeply, evenly struck with the newer A. Wright and Son serif font style.

And that blade etch! The old English font style and Yorkshire Rose in beautiful crisp detail really elevates the knife.

It’s so nice, in fact, that I had already decided that I probably wouldn’t be using this knife, and would be keeping it pristine, along with my 2017 buffalo horn Guardians Lambsfoot knife.

Now that I have the knife in hand though, I think it’s too nice not to be used and appreciated, or at least carried!

That blade etch also seems like it’s fairly durable.

I’m not in any hurry to get a patina on this one though.:)

I’ll sharpen it up over the next couple of days and this instant classic will be riding in my pocket for quite a while to come.

A Sambar Hartshead on a small Sambar hart’s head :
z32MhCG.jpg

(Not really, because I believe a ‘Hart’ is a stag at least five years old, but you get what I mean!)

OdpMj0E.jpg

4QqLxSk.jpg

w7NzAHh.jpg

xSVPlSu.jpg

And a comparison to an earlier Wright candle-end frame Lambsfoot knife:

aQXTpps.jpg

Here’s a toast to Jack - Cheers my friend, you’ve outdone yourself again!

OlLp5mo.jpg

Last edited:
Great picture right there. :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians!
C6LGnuW.jpg
Good morning, Vince. :)

Firstly though, just let me say that I enjoyed the discussion around convict transportation and working in the prison system, last time I posted here.:thumbsup:

It’s Guardians ancient history by now, but I just wanted to say thanks to David/Donn, Jack, OG, and John for the fascinating details. I’m very sorry for my belated acknowledgment.:(

I’ve been up in the Victorian High Country recently, so here’s a few pics:

Looking down onto a walnut plantation on the valley floor:
EnzZOPE.jpg

My trusty Ironsides:
oDNWDSn.jpg

Sambar deer country:
sGVsoXH.jpg

unSF7Bt.jpg

It’s always nice to get back down and warm up and enjoy a good country meal at the local pub:

ESdmpO8.jpg

1cTyIUw.jpg

8ffdu4W.jpg

The dish is called Flatty Tails, a common species of local saltwater fish.

@cudgee - I daresay you recognise this neck of the woods, mate!;)

Jack and Duncan @Campbellclanman - it was so cool you lads got to catch up again in York.

I enjoyed all the pics and narrative. Old Jorvik town will definitely have to be on the cards next time I can make it over to visit!

We also had a mini Guardians member catchup in Melbourne recently.

Cudgee and I had been chatting on an Australian knife forum, and arranged to meet, and go over some knives. (Cudgee also very kindly gifted me a nice pair of handmade knives - thanks again, my friend.:cool:)

Cudgee has family connections out in the west of Victoria, where the eastern end of the infamous Shipwreck Coastline begins, an area I’ve previously written about in another Porch thread.

We had a very interesting discussion about the Lambsfoot pattern in Australia.

Cudgee recalled that as a boy, he noticed that the old farmers in the Western District stockyards often had Sheffield made Lambsfoots (although he only learned what they were called later). When he asked them about the curious blade shape, they said it was the ideal working knife around the farm, better suited for hard general duties than the clip bladed Bunny Knife. Apparently they weren’t often called Lambsfoots though, but were just referred to as Working Knives or Work Knives.

Now, although we’ve had the pleasure of Cudgee’s company for a little while now on the Porch, I thought I’d do the honours to officially bring him into the Guardians with a picture of his Lambsfoot knife:

ehLPQhU.jpg

It’s a Joseph Rodgers Barlow Lambsfoot alongside my Ol’ Reliable Ebony.

Welcome, mate!:)

Now for the wonderful contents of the package from Leeds:

Jack you’ve really done an outstanding job on the packaging and presentation of these Barlows.

I love the tin, and the signed slip with historical notes, along with the Yorkshire Rose badge.

The woollen Yorkshire broadcloth slip is also a superb inclusion and gift to the Guardians community from Jack.

Mine also arrived with some personal touches, which are greatly appreciated - a unique coin :cool:;), which I may have to start carrying as a lucky talisman in the same way I hear some of you US Guardians carry silver dollars, and a book which I’ve read from cover to cover already, on the Derry ‘Bogside Artists’ who are responsible for many of the famous murals in that community.

Thanks so much Jack, I was like a kid at Christmas, opening up my package!

Now the knife itself is one of the nicest Lambsfoots I’ve seen. I don’t know how Jack does it, but each successive knife seems to outdo the previous one!

It’s no secret that some of us here prefer all steel construction on our slipjoints, for strength and durability, and also so they will be immune to the verdigris which can develop over time around brass pins and liners. I prefer all-steel fittings too, so I’ve been looking forward to this Barlow for that reason alone.

But even though I’ve been enjoying all the great pics here, I wasn’t prepared for just how fine these knives are in person.

Ashley’s done absolutely stellar work on these - they’re tightly fitted and constructed, and have excellent, user friendly walk and talk, while still retaining a nice handmade warmth, rather than a clinical machine-made feel.

The Sambar cover scales are very fine, with a wonderfully satisfying tactile texture on both sides, which will make it a perfect worry-stone.

There are two historical, aesthetic touches that most people on the Porch seem to really enjoy, and which don’t really have an equivalent in the modern knife world, and those are the multiplicity of Barlow bolster motifs, and the old Sheffield blade and tang stamps.

Jack has combined all these elements in this outstanding synthesis of two favourite Porch pocketknife patterns: the Barlow and the Lambsfoot.

I recall a conversation in this thread some time ago on the Wright ‘Candelabra’ stamp which is usually used on their Whittle-tang Bowies.

I searched for it and it was waaay back on page 44! So it’s very neat, I think, that Jack worked out a way to incorporate it onto a Lambsfoot knife. I think it’s a very tasteful and classic looking Barlow bolster stamp.

The tang stamp is deeply, evenly struck with the newer A. Wright and Son serif font style.

And that blade etch! The old English font style and Yorkshire Rose in beautiful crisp detail really elevates the knife.

It’s so nice, in fact, that I had already decided that I probably wouldn’t be using this knife, and would be keeping it pristine, along with my 2017 buffalo horn Guardians Lambsfoot knife.

Now that I have the knife in hand though, I think it’s too nice not to be used and appreciated, or at least carried!

That blade etch also seems like it’s fairly durable.

I’m not in any hurry to get a patina on this one though.:)

I’ll sharpen it up over the next couple of days and this instant classic will be riding in my pocket for quite a while to come.

A Sambar Hartshead on a small Sambar hart’s head :
z32MhCG.jpg

(Not really, because I believe a ‘Hart’ is a stag at least five years old, but you get what I mean!)

OdpMj0E.jpg

4QqLxSk.jpg

w7NzAHh.jpg

xSVPlSu.jpg

And a comparison to an earlier Wright candle-end frame Lambsfoot knife:

aQXTpps.jpg

Here’s a toast to Jack - Cheers my friend, you’ve outdone yourself again!

OlLp5mo.jpg
I appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts. Very enjoyable. :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! I decided to roll with some Ebony today! :D

45427658225_c1358af0f5_b_d.jpg
Ebony Beauty, Ron. :cool: :thumbsup:

Cambertree Cambertree It’s always a treat to travel through your posts, Chin. Lacking your eloquence, let me just say thank you. Congratulations on getting your Handsome Barlow.

dc50 dc50 Dave, I love refried beans and your colorful, quirky Lambsfoot images.

@mitch4ging Thank you Dennis. Your Barlow and Ebony are looking mighty fine.

@donn David, those pies look so tasty. Nice environmental portrait of your Lamb.

@Ramrodmb Beautiful color and furrows on your Barlow, Mark. Looking forward to your review.

JohnDF JohnDF Such character in your Rosewood, John.

WhittlinAway WhittlinAway Thank you Greg. A wonderful outdoor image of your Lambsfoot.

Prester John Prester John I never, ever tire of seeing this particular Lambsfoot, Vince.

Half/Stop Half/Stop That Ebony is one sweet Lambsfoot to roll with, Ron.

Good Morning Guardians. Hope your day is a good one.

Thanks, Harvey. :D
images
"Refried beans" are just fried once. I think the misunderstanding comes from a mistranslation of "frijoles refritos." The "re-" in the Spanish word does not mean the same thing as "re-" in English. They are well-fried. Pinto beans are cooked in water, and then mashed and fried in lard with spices. Some may use vegetable oil, but it is traditionally lard.

Funny "meme", anyway, Dave! :)

Last edited:
Did you know a Lamb has four feet?o_O:DView attachment 1151655

:D :thumbsup:

Greg, I don't dare carry that old pocket watch because I got it from my Dad, who got it from his father, who got it from his uncle, who got it as a gift for n years of service from a Chicago railroad for which he worked. (For the past 6 months, I've been wearing a FitBit on my wrist and carrying my old Casio wristwatch in my pocket because I can't read the FitBit watch outside because of glare. :rolleyes:)

Oh, wow! What a treasure. I wouldn't dare carry it either.

Greg, that's a good use for your tin! :thumbsup::cool::cool: What do you put in your whittling first aid kit? I should probably consider making one. I remember whittling at the bus stop 3 years ago, and my knife slipped while struggling with a knot in the wood and sliced my holding thumb. (I was foolishly whittling without a glove or thumb guard on either hand. :() I had to wrap my bleeding thumb in my wet used towel from my gym bag as the bus pulled up.

I'm not an EMT, so please don't take this as being authoritative, but I carry alcohol prep pads, bandaids, a couple of butterfly strips, a couple of gauze pads, and a roll of cloth tape.

I'm glad you had that towel handy. I've also found out the hard way that the resistance from the wood has a nasty habit of suddenly disappearing. :oops: I almost always wear a glove on my holding hand and tape the thumb of my knife hand now.

Wanted to wait for sunset to shoot this one. Again, Thank you Barry.
EAAE268F-920C-4541-8562-00038E53E43D_zpstc9wnmsn.jpeg

Nice shot of that jigged bone, Harvey. Looks like you ended up with a stunning pair.

My Hartshead Barlow with rosewood covers arrived this afternoon! I took a couple of quick photos before my camera batteries gave up the ghost, and want to post one tonight before bedtime as an official record of the arrival. You'll notice signs, near the tang and on the protruding spring in this first pic of the pile side, that I haven't even made time to flush the knife yet.
Thanks again to Jack Black for making this happen, and I hope to have "official debut photos" Thursday or Friday.
View attachment 1151720

View attachment 1151721

- GT

Huzzah! Congratulations!

My Waynorth Cutlery #93 Lambsfoot in ebony came in today! I am completely and utterly smitten!

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that you're starting to feel better.

At football today. It's the last week before a two week mandated "dead period" where no football activities can take place. Out on the field turf, it was breezy and cool for late June which was NICE. Barlow pictured on the turf wayyy better then the Astros turf I played on!
mfvFqum.jpg

Giant wasp nest I found close to the weight room. About the size of a football. I so wanted to go get some wasp spray!
L6aMec5.jpg

Wow, that's a lot nicer than any artificial turf I've played sports on. Nice lambsfoot on top of it, too. ;)

How about an "old friend" for Thursday?
2I3m9LY.jpg

Looks like a find old friend, indeed, Vince. I hope you're enjoying carrying it todayl

And, I hope you don't mind that I jumped on your 'old friend for Thursday' bandwagon. :)

Mine today:
YRD8lcB.jpg

ftl7zFr.jpg

xnNyhWj.jpg

Very nice! Congratulations!

Good morning/afternoon, Guardians!
Great photos of the Hartshead Barlows, everyone!:thumbsup:

Sincere thank you to Jack Black Jack Black for his work and vision on this stunning Stag Barlow! I hope to post more pics and a bit of a review this weekend when work lets up. For now, let's just say, I'm thrilled!!

Thanks, Jack!!:cool::D;)

qUaiGPv.jpg

It's lovely. Congratulations. And, I really like the brown slip. It goes so nicely with the stag.

Good morning Guardians
I was really busy yesterday but managed to at least visit a few times and hit a lot of "like" buttons.
Despite having some very fancy Lambsfoot knives now, the rosewood still remains my favorite.
Hope everybody has a fantastic day today. :cool: :thumbsup:

And for good reason. It's a fantastic example.

Hooray! And, so good to see you posting here, my friend. I always enjoy your detailed, thoughtful posts.

Cheers right back at ya.

Great picture right there. :cool: :thumbsup:
WhittlinAway WhittlinAway Thank you Greg. A wonderful outdoor image of your Lambsfoot.

Thank you, John and Harvey. It's one of my favorite pictures of that knife.

And, I hope you don't mind that I jumped on your 'old friend for Thursday' bandwagon. :)
Not at all, Greg. I like rules, but I also like making my own sometimes. Don't really have a schedule for carrying, but I carry the ones I like most more often, sometimes two or three different knives in a day.
I'm not an EMT, so please don't take this as being authoritative, but I carry alcohol prep pads, bandaids, a couple of butterfly strips, a couple of gauze pads, and a roll of cloth tape.
Maybe that's what I should do. Wore a Band-Aid for a week because I cut my self badly with a knife maybe I got too sharp (if that's possible!). [Did you know they make some Band-Aids just for fingertips?] I just need to be more careful, and not open a knife after two martinis! ;)

Back