Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Happy Friday Guardians! I've got a lot of catching up on this thread to do over the weekend.

In the mean time, I wish you all a great weekend with a lambsfoot in your pocket and an opportunity or two to put it to good use. :)

InFgPLuh.jpg

(Playing with my food inspired by @Jiki's recent food carving post.)
Hey, that's Carrot Top right?

Good morning, Guardians!
Great pic. Vince are you guys in harm's way down there?

Good morning Dwight! Beautiful wood!
Thank you Ron and so is your Black Beauty!

@Foddering Thank you Dwight. That dab of color makes for a great image.
Gracias amigo.

My newly acquired Waynorth Lambfoot!

View attachment 1160031
That looks like a beauty Glenn.

Thank you Dwight :) I'm enjoying it, took it to the pub with me this afternoon ;) Gorgeous pic my friend
Thanks Jack.
I took my new arrival for a drink in a couple of neighbourhood bars (one of which has a roof terrace)
Do you think it's a good idea to let your W. Lamb sit so close to the edge while under the influence? :eek: :rolleyes:

IMG_9203.jpeg

I gotcha! :cool::thumbsup: It took a lot of trial & error and persistence until I felt confident sharpening freehand on a stone, and I guess I have to go through something similar to get effective at stropping.
Mornin' Rachel, here is another strop option. It is called the Washboard Sharpening System, made by the forum member Heavyhanded. I have been using one for a strop and really like it. Basically, you wrap copy paper around the block, apply the stropping compound and strop away. I cant give you the link but if you google the name it will come up. There are videos that explain how it works far better than I can.
48260695492_bbf6c71b0b_h.jpg

Good evening Guardians!

6rMg0k7.jpg
YES!

Thanks for the kind words and comments folks, I’ll have to make a proper post and acknowledgments later, as I’m on the train out from Melbourne at the moment.

I stayed at a mates place in the city last night, after having a great catch up dinner with some friends I used to work with.

David @donn , I thought you’d like to know I used my Hartshead knyf to kytte up my Ploughman’s brekky, before heading out into the cold and rain this morning:

View attachment 1159782

Yep, those are some real English Pork Pies!

They must have been made with faire buttyes of porke, hewed and ground welle, because I was well impressed - they were very tasty.

Christian @kamagong , that’s an interesting observation on the clean and square joints. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in Levine’s translation of part of Jean-Jacques Perret’s great work, Le Art du Coutelier), that clean and square joints, in addition to being more expensive, are not as strong as joints where the bolsters fully enclose and overlap the blade tang.

So I wondered if they had been used on many Lambsfoots before, being an inexpensive working knife pattern and all.

I checked back over some of my old archive pics, and did indeed find a prior example, on a particularly fine Lambsfoot knife by Harrison Brothers and Howson. Here’s the old post:

(If you click on the arrow at the top of any quoted text, it will take you back to the original post and discussion. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.)

Fantastic knife, Bill, I’m glad to see you were looked after, my friend.

Cheers Dave, yep, we use the same word, although it’s pronounced more like ‘Bewdy’!

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts on the pattern and your superb photography over in this thread, my friend.

View attachment 1159809

Melbourne reputedly has the highest number of Greek speakers of any city in the world outside Greece.

The part of the city I stayed in is apparently a sister city to Sparta.

I found this interesting statue while walking around:

View attachment 1159784
View attachment 1159783

Wow that looks great, Barry! Outstanding work!
Another fine post, Chin. I always learn something interesting from your posts. :thumbsup:

Thank you Kevin :) We believe it is indeed the first US-made Lambsfoot, though @herder has previously brought our attention to this knife from 1905 :thumbsup:

QR7HvyG.jpg

Cool pic of your '19 my friend :thumbsup:
Thank you, Jack.
The Lambsfoot mystery continues..:D
It would be amazing to find one of those Washington Cutlery Lambs !

Just about to start reading a new book...

aWhyilx.jpg

Compass is by F. Barker & Son, pre-1875.
That pic is just full of awesome!

Have a great weekend y'all!
48261463821_19e105ad52_h.jpg

Thanks Jack.
Do you think it's a good idea to let your W. Lamb sit so close to the edge while under the influence? :eek: :rolleyes:

View attachment 1160091

I'm always careful ;) I always enjoy seeing one of the ACs, and that's a great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! It’s great to see you and your Waynorth Lambsfoot enjoying the afternoon! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, it was lovely weather until about an hour ago, and then the rain came down HARD! :eek: Glad I wasn't up on that roof-top! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack.
The Lambsfoot mystery continues..:D
It would be amazing to find one of those Washington Cutlery Lambs !

That pic is just full of awesome!

Wouldn't it just Kevin?! :cool: Thanks my friend, that's a nice pic of your lovely WCLF :) :thumbsup:

I carry a lambsfoot...
B6ga9jD.jpg

...so I can brag about my stag.

How 'bout you?

That stag definitely has bragging rights Vince! :D I'm glad it's so nice after your other beauty had a bad etch :thumbsup:

I would like to thank Jack for helping me obtain this gorgeous knife.

Thank you Jack.

Happy to be part of "The Guardians"

Everyone have a great weekend!!

View attachment 1160120

Welcome to the Guardians Ron, it's great to have you here :) :thumbsup:

:cool: :thumbsup:

b6vpJfX.jpg

Mornin' Rachel, here is another strop option. It is called the Washboard Sharpening System, made by the forum member Heavyhanded. I have been using one for a strop and really like it. Basically, you wrap copy paper around the block, apply the stropping compound and strop away. I cant give you the link but if you google the name it will come up. There are videos that explain how it works far better than I can.
48260695492_bbf6c71b0b_h.jpg

Thanks, that looks interesting. I'll check it out. Great Lambfoot picture. :thumbsup:

jDgpInx.jpg

I think I see a shadow of patina on the bolster. :)

I have been trying to go straight and get a line on things:D:p:D
IMG_1243.JPG

A fascinating post, as always, Chin :) Not sure how you managed that on your phone! :D :thumbsup:
Yes...I was going to reply with the same thoughts. I want to know the details!
Nice photo, Preston.:thumbsup: I've enjoyed seeing your Lambfoots on the wide array of succulents you have.
Thanks, Mark, these seem to survive even though I've killed my share...usually from over watering. Like your flock...good to watch over them!
Good morning guardians! I gave this one a good rub down last night to take off some of the excess dye that was coloring my fingers. Happy to report it looks pretty good by the morning light!
4HRJAoQ.jpg
Yes it does, thanks for the tip!
Happy Friday Guardians! I've got a lot of catching up on this thread to do over the weekend.

In the mean time, I wish you all a great weekend with a lambsfoot in your pocket and an opportunity or two to put it to good use. :)

InFgPLuh.jpg

(Playing with my food inspired by @Jiki's recent food carving post.)
Excellent, Greg...opens up all new possibilities for a creative mind like yours:D:thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment Preston! Beautiful Stag Hartshead my friend! :)
Ron, thank you, all the recent SFOs have been great. Not seen a dud in any of them:thumbsup:
My newly acquired Waynorth Lambfoot!

View attachment 1160031
So glad to see you have acquired one.
This is my pocket today. Happy Friday Guardians!
4FxYoCa.jpg
Great stag on that one...nice to have for the pocket:D
Morning Dave :) :thumbsup:

Great pic Greg! :D Have a great weekend my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Preston, that's very kind :) Nice pic too :) :thumbsup:

Well, I certainly don't collect anything else in the same way :D I have less than a dozen compasses, and a LOT of Lambsfoot knives! :D :thumbsup:

Great-looking Hartshead Barlows gents :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, that looks fabulous :) :thumbsup:

Heroic Jeff :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful Glenn :thumbsup:

Amazing stag Dave :) :thumbsup:
Over the years my collecting has taken a few turns and may take a few more. It's all good if it pleases and doesn't harm anything(wallet being the exception) or anyone.

Back