Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Just about to start reading a new book...

aWhyilx.jpg

Compass is by F. Barker & Son, pre-1875.

Thanks for the kind words and comments folks, I’ll have to make a proper post and acknowledgments later, as I’m on the train out from Melbourne at the moment.

I stayed at a mates place in the city last night, after having a great catch up dinner with some friends I used to work with.

David @donn , I thought you’d like to know I used my Hartshead knyf to kytte up my Ploughman’s brekky, before heading out into the cold and rain this morning:

View attachment 1159782

Yep, those are some real English Pork Pies!

They must have been made with faire buttyes of porke, hewed and ground welle, because I was well impressed - they were very tasty.

Christian @kamagong , that’s an interesting observation on the clean and square joints. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in Levine’s translation of part of Jean-Jacques Perret’s great work, Le Art du Coutelier), that clean and square joints, in addition to being more expensive, are not as strong as joints where the bolsters fully enclose and overlap the blade tang.

So I wondered if they had been used on many Lambsfoots before, being an inexpensive working knife pattern and all.

I checked back over some of my old archive pics, and did indeed find a prior example, on a particularly fine Lambsfoot knife by Harrison Brothers and Howson. Here’s the old post:

(If you click on the arrow at the top of any quoted text, it will take you back to the original post and discussion. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.)

Fantastic knife, Bill, I’m glad to see you were looked after, my friend.

Cheers Dave, yep, we use the same word, although it’s pronounced more like ‘Bewdy’!

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts on the pattern and your superb photography over in this thread, my friend.

View attachment 1159809

Melbourne reputedly has the highest number of Greek speakers of any city in the world outside Greece.

The part of the city I stayed in is apparently a sister city to Sparta.

I found this interesting statue while walking around:

View attachment 1159784
View attachment 1159783

Wow that looks great, Barry! Outstanding work!
Thanks Chin - I very much appreciated your help in the matter.
Bill

Thanks for the kind words Gary! :D

Great wood on those two Mark! :thumbsup: :D

Thanks for answering a question that I’ve been meaning to ask! I thought you might live in a rain forest! ;) Your Stag Damascus candlestick is one of the greats! :thumbsup: :D
Thanks, Ron!:thumbsup:

DSC_0359.JPG

Have a great day, enjoy your meal and safe travels. The HHB makes great company!

Thanks, Dave

I have only photographed my HHB, but sure they

Thanks much, Matt. I do enjoy trying to find interesting ways to take pictures of these wonderful knives, they are photogenic, for sure.

Nice, capturing the blade and its reflection in the water sure makes for a pleasant and interesting photo.

Great photo, John, what birds do you have coming in to that feeder? I ask because you can tailor the feed for the type of bird. It's possible to limit the mess that way. Also with that, the type/style of feeder makes a difference. The one shown in your photo allows them to dig and scratch around to get to the seed they want, leaveing th

Congratulations on your acquisition, you did a wonderful job on that photo. Before reading, I thought the glove was a slip for the knife;)

Two stellar examples of lambfoot art you have there, congrats!

Excellent post, like all of yours Chin, great information and photography.
Nice photo, Preston.:thumbsup: I've enjoyed seeing your Lambfoots on the wide array of succulents you have.

Ha, Kevin, way back I had a '54 VW, with the split rear window. don't think it had enough HP to get out of it's own way. Only heat was in the summer, defrost was something to scrap the ice off the inside of the windshield! Loved that beetle, one I wish I could have kept!

As per above statement, excellent info and photos>

That polished lamb is quite easy to look at.

Thanks, they are Mule deer, Gary. We do have Whitetail deer in these parts. Only the male/buck have antlers, which they lose in the late fall/early winter. These have their antlers in 'velvet' which will harden and be rubbed off in late summer.

Nice photo of a great pair, Mark
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Y’all have a great day! :D I’m sticking with wood today, but, I decided I needed some Iron in my diet! ;) :D

40403139673_1609868c96_b_d.jpg
EXCELLENT photo, Ron.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1159493 Good morning, Guardians! Looking across the field next to our house this morn in western Illinois.
Have a good one!
Fantastic view! Thanks for sharing that.:cool:

No use fighting the inevitable, Taylor! ;):D:thumbsup:

Great investment strategy, Dwight! Two damascus blades for the price of one - 100% return! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

John, if you've put your stag HHB out there in hopes of scaring the birds into better table manners, I think you'll get better results by using your ironwood wolf! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

As you wrote in another thread recently,

:cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thrilled that you have a pair that thrills you! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Fine pic of your ebony with the sun coming through your beverage, Chin. :cool::thumbsup::cool: And several superior shots of your stag HHB in the post, too.
I didn't realize that the "homilies" were actually part of the medicine ad! :eek::rolleyes:

Rachel, if you continue to use that fine edge on your rosewood HHB to cut out little steel squares, you definitely should improve your stropping skills! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Whoa, I'd apparently forgotten that you had the complete set of Jak's lambsfoot barlows; sweet! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Tubes are terrific treasures, Chin, but can the labels be trusted?? :rolleyes::thumbsup::cool: I wanna see the contents, capice? How many members does the Australian chapter have now?

Thanks, Mark. :)
Your ebony/ironwood pair is beautiful! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Vince. :) Not intentionally composed that way; I just let nature take its course! ;)

Your AC is Alluringly Captivating, Vince! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Dwight, you're too kind in two languages. :)
Thanks for the pro tip on rock wetting. :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Your stag and your tree both have intriguing bark! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the ID on the mule deer; I've heard of them, but obviously don't recognize them! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Healthy choice, Ron, and my favorite ironwood of yours! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mornin' horn in the prairie, Ben! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Union Jack came to me from York, with relish:
View attachment 1159530

- GT
Union Jack looks very stately.:cool: How do you like the Hendersons?

Crikey! That's sharper than my knives.:eek:

...or two...:D

Thanks for your kind words Mark. I guess rules is rules though :D Great shot of your ironwood.:thumbsup:

Thanks Chin, as I really enjoy your posts. :thumbsup: I could start carrying two lambsfoot I guess :D

Great shot there, but I reckon the suspension will give out before it gets to far.:D
I now can't find the recipe I found for pies but I've found others. :thumbsup:

You sure that clocks big enough? :D

Great shot! I like the compass :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the chip shop. I guess hotels are more important :rolleyes:

Oh. Now you've gone and dunnit...:)

Only 10%?! I guess the fall of empire started earlier than we thought :D
Great shots, especially the black and white one. :thumbsup:

That's only because Lancastrians bearing gifts is such a rare sight that when it happens everyone gets suspicious. :D

If I did that the magpies would whip that knife in a heartbeat!

Hope you enjoyed them Jack!

At last....
tip1wBs.jpg
Thank you sir! Glad you were finally united with you HHB.;) I look forward to seeing more of it.

Such a photogenic knife :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much David, one of the things I collect, and I said I'd show a few for Dennis @mitch4ging :) Couple more below ;) The crisps were very tasty my friend :) You actually waited longer than Dave @dc50 for your Barlow! :eek: :thumbsup:

zaF92bk.jpg

YvJkaFY.jpg

Thank you Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cheers folks :) :thumbsup:

OQp1jR1.jpg
Love the compass'! :thumbsup::cool: Excited to see more!
Glad to see your US Lambs found their way home.;)

A pic of my fledgling "flock". Thanks for the help rounding them up, Jack!

Hope everyone has a stress free day.
eWUAuac.jpg

I had in mind to ask you if this would be possible. Do you think they could regrind the blade to its original shape?

Shipping both ways night be prohibitive. I think you did a fine job fixing it.:thumbsup:

I think it would certainly be possibly Christian, but I think what Mark says is worth taking into account. Of course, any repair would not return it to its exact former state, and care would need to be taken not to damage the HT :thumbsup:

Good morning all. Beautiful day in paradise.View attachment 1159925

Looks like a healthy start to the day Bill, great pic :) :thumbsup:

Fine pairing my friend, I really like that soupy stag! :) :thumbsup:

eWUAuac.jpg

Thanks a lot Mark, another posted this morning, I hope Dennis doesn't miss them! o_O :D :thumbsup:

Smashing flock my friend :) :thumbsup:

@Foddering Congratulations on the Trevor Ablett acquisition.
Thank you Harvey.

Thank you kindly.

Day is Done.
View attachment 1159839
Fantastic photo Harvey. Exceptional composition. I love it.

Received my pair of Charlie’s Lambsfoots. Very impressed with these two! Charlie and GEC did us proud to bring these to us avid collectors. Glad to be able to include these in my Lambsfoot collection.

View attachment 1159855
They are beautiful Russell. :)

Congratulations Dwight, but this is the LAMBSFOOT thread
Sorry Jack. :( You won't be seeing any pics here.

Just about to start reading a new book...

aWhyilx.jpg

Compass is by F. Barker & Son, pre-1875.
Looks to be an interesting book.

I had in mind to ask you if this would be possible. Do you think they could regrind the blade to its original shape?
I think it looks very nice as is.

Good morning all. Beautiful day in paradise.View attachment 1159925
Crisp and colorful. Fine image right there!

Thanks, Ron!:thumbsup:

Nice photo, Preston.:thumbsup: I've enjoyed seeing your Lambfoots on the wide array of succulents you have.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

EXCELLENT photo, Ron.:thumbsup:

Fantastic view! Thanks for sharing that.:cool:

Union Jack looks very stately.:cool: How do you like the Hendersons?

Thank you sir! Glad you were finally united with you HHB.;) I look forward to seeing more of it.

eWUAuac.jpg
Fantastic Four Mark. That stag is just heavenly!

Morning (afternoon) AllIMG_6287.jpeg

Back