1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good Evening Guardians
    I grill a lot of meat because...
    [​IMG]
    It gives me an excuse to use my Lambsfoot. :D

2. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999

KETO & Lambsfoot!

cigarrodog and JohnDF like this.
  3. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Good evening Guardians!

[​IMG]

TFBraden, donn, mitch4ging and 19 others like this.
  4. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    And after a hard day...

[​IMG]

TFBraden, donn, mitch4ging and 13 others like this.
  5. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words and comments folks, I’ll have to make a proper post and acknowledgments later, as I’m on the train out from Melbourne at the moment.

I stayed at a mates place in the city last night, after having a great catch up dinner with some friends I used to work with.

David @donn , I thought you’d like to know I used my Hartshead knyf to kytte up my Ploughman’s brekky, before heading out into the cold and rain this morning:

13AB4DD5-16F1-4C1E-825B-DAA1C619979B.jpeg

Yep, those are some real English Pork Pies!

They must have been made with faire buttyes of porke, hewed and ground welle, because I was well impressed - they were very tasty.

Christian @kamagong , that’s an interesting observation on the clean and square joints. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in Levine’s translation of part of Jean-Jacques Perret’s great work, L’Art du Coutelier), that clean and square joints, in addition to being more expensive, are not as strong as joints where the bolsters fully enclose and overlap the blade tang.

So I wondered if they had been used on many Lambsfoots before, being an inexpensive working knife pattern and all.

I checked back over some of my old archive pics, and did indeed find a prior example, on a particularly fine Lambsfoot knife by Harrison Brothers and Howson. Here’s the old post:
    (If you click on the arrow at the top of any quoted text, it will take you back to the original post and discussion. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.)

Fantastic knife, Bill, I’m glad to see you were looked after, my friend.

Cheers Dave, yep, we use the same word, although it’s pronounced more like ‘Bewdy’!

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts on the pattern and your superb photography over in this thread, my friend.

2FC762EA-99CF-4DB8-A74F-49F58FBCB7BC.jpeg

Melbourne reputedly has the highest number of Greek speakers of any city in the world outside Greece.

The part of the city I stayed in is apparently a sister city to Sparta.

I found this interesting statue while walking around:

42EDF665-A216-4F8C-824E-F6AA0879FD20.jpeg
    F9F6F1AF-743F-4CB8-9C38-6ED8A0933B3D.jpeg

Wow that looks great, Barry! Outstanding work!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::p

cigarrodog and Cambertree like this.
  7. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D:D

8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Outstanding Barry. I love it!

Thank you Chin. Most interesting about Greece's relationship with Australia! Always enjoy your posts my friend.

9. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    It sounds like you’re experiencing quite an ordeal. Very sorry to hear that. My wish is that the corner you’ve turned is leading you further and further on your road to recovery.

Congratulations on getting your Ironwood Lambsfoot. That’s a handsome Lambsfoot.

@Jack Black - Your Aurapole Compass is a thing of beauty. Residing in a cool pocket watch case. A fine accompaniment to your out of this world Waynorth Lambsfoot.

@Foddering Congratulations on the Trevor Ablett acquisition.

@gunstockjack There’s a couple items in the image that certainly has my attention.

10. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Congrats on the new arrivals after all this time, Jack! Good looking pair of American lambs! :thumbsup:

Beautiful pic, Harvey!

Ain't that the truth! I was just recently going over in my mind all my knives that I haven't dropped... it was the shorter list! :D But mine are all users, so who cares... after the first ding!

Those are all good tips! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Stunning pic right there! :cool:

Congrats on finally getting it in hand. Looks like a wait well worthwhile! :thumbsup:

Oh my, I love that Ironwood on your knife! Congrats on that one!

11. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you kindly.

Day is Done.
    B20DF707-39C1-4BAE-A198-B248520EB27A.jpeg

TFBraden, donn, mitch4ging and 14 others like this.
  12. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Received my pair of Charlie’s Lambsfoots. Very impressed with these two! Charlie and GEC did us proud to bring these to us avid collectors. Glad to be able to include these in my Lambsfoot collection.

2A0E9BC4-2F41-4D0C-8160-EE973746BC1C.jpeg

13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Congratulations Russell! :thumbsup::D

14. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019

cigarrodog and Cambertree like this.
  15. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Glad they tickle your UK roots, Russell!!!:D

16. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Thank you very much Ron!!

They do indeed Charlie!

mitch4ging, cigarrodog and Half/Stop like this.
  17. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    @cudgee, when replying to someone, you need to make sure you type outside the quoted post, otherwise your reply just gets jumbled into the previous post, isn't displayed, and can't be easily read or replied to :thumbsup:

Thank you Kevin :) We believe it is indeed the first US-made Lambsfoot, though @herder has previously brought our attention to this knife from 1905 :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Cool pic of your '19 my friend :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Russell :thumbsup:

Thank you Ron :) :thumbsup:

Very sorry to hear that you have been so ill my friend, and very pleased to hear things are finally beginning to get better. Thank you for the great pics of your '19 :thumbsup:

Congratulations Dwight, but this is the LAMBSFOOT thread :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    TFBraden, donn, mitch4ging and 8 others like this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Ubercool Barry (I think that's the highest level of cool ;) ) :cool: Well done :) :thumbsup:

You earned it my friend, cheers :) :thumbsup:

A fascinating post, as always, Chin :) Not sure how you managed that on your phone! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, the case is integral to the compass :) I have an older one I'll post a photo of later :thumbsup:

http://www.compassmuseum.com/

Thank you :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

Many congratulations Russell :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone has had a good week :) I thought I'd carry these two today, a new friend from @waynorth, and an old friend from Wright's :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

TFBraden, donn, mitch4ging and 11 others like this.
  19. Ironwood Chris

Ironwood Chris Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2019
    My wounded Hartshead Barlow. Not so dramatic but the tip is definitely different from what it should be :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cambertree, TFBraden, donn and 9 others like this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sorry again about your mishap Christian, but it looks like you did a good repair job :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, cigarrodog, dc50 and 3 others like this.