Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good evening Guardians!

6rMg0k7.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and comments folks, I’ll have to make a proper post and acknowledgments later, as I’m on the train out from Melbourne at the moment.

I stayed at a mates place in the city last night, after having a great catch up dinner with some friends I used to work with.

David @donn , I thought you’d like to know I used my Hartshead knyf to kytte up my Ploughman’s brekky, before heading out into the cold and rain this morning:

13AB4DD5-16F1-4C1E-825B-DAA1C619979B.jpeg

Yep, those are some real English Pork Pies!

They must have been made with faire buttyes of porke, hewed and ground welle, because I was well impressed - they were very tasty.

Christian @kamagong , that’s an interesting observation on the clean and square joints. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in Levine’s translation of part of Jean-Jacques Perret’s great work, L’Art du Coutelier), that clean and square joints, in addition to being more expensive, are not as strong as joints where the bolsters fully enclose and overlap the blade tang.

So I wondered if they had been used on many Lambsfoots before, being an inexpensive working knife pattern and all.

I checked back over some of my old archive pics, and did indeed find a prior example, on a particularly fine Lambsfoot knife by Harrison Brothers and Howson. Here’s the old post:
Some of you Guardians regulars might remember that last year, I showed some very fine examples from another member, 1500international's collection.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-26#post-16739080

At the time there was a particular Lambsfoot in a group photo which Jack asked about, but which I had neglected to take a close up shot of.

So when I had the pleasure of catching up with 1500international again recently, and seeing some more of his collection, I took the opportunity to get some photos of this fine Lambsfoot - a Harrison Brothers and Howson.

SJwQpU7.jpg

That 'The Alpha Knife' blade stamp is one of my favourites. It also has that classic curve on the underside of the handle. Look at how the feathering on the buffalo horn covers has also been carefully selected and fitted to accentuate that curve.

fBVk9Wd.jpg

'Square and clean' joints:

YgA382L.jpg

My vote, should GEC ever do a Real Lambsfoot rendition, would be for that classic handle and blade shape of the two horn covered Lambsfoots. To me, both the Wright knife and the superb Harrison Bros. and Howson above, have just about the perfect shape for the pattern IMHO. :)

(If you click on the arrow at the top of any quoted text, it will take you back to the original post and discussion. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.)

Well, it came sooner than expected. Thanks goes out to Jack and Charlie for their help. Very fine Gentlemen.
View attachment 1159161

Fantastic knife, Bill, I’m glad to see you were looked after, my friend.

Chin, like some of my fellow Canucks, would say, that Barlow is a "Beauty" :thumbsup::D

Cheers Dave, yep, we use the same word, although it’s pronounced more like ‘Bewdy’!

Oh, btw, I scored a Trevor Ablett ettrick today!!! :D :cool: :D

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts on the pattern and your superb photography over in this thread, my friend.

2FC762EA-99CF-4DB8-A74F-49F58FBCB7BC.jpeg

Melbourne reputedly has the highest number of Greek speakers of any city in the world outside Greece.

The part of the city I stayed in is apparently a sister city to Sparta.

I found this interesting statue while walking around:

42EDF665-A216-4F8C-824E-F6AA0879FD20.jpeg
F9F6F1AF-743F-4CB8-9C38-6ED8A0933B3D.jpeg

Good evening Guardians!

6rMg0k7.jpg

Wow that looks great, Barry! Outstanding work!

Last edited:
Thanks! The surgery was four weeks ago now. :/ I had no idea they could linger like this either. It started with a low grade fever for the first two weeks and then really started to ramp up after that. These last couple weeks have been pretty brutal. I guess the shoulder joint has a sealed capsule around it that is sealed off from the immune system which makes fighting infections in there particularly hard. I think I've turned a corner over the last couple days though. :)
It sounds like you’re experiencing quite an ordeal. Very sorry to hear that. My wish is that the corner you’ve turned is leading you further and further on your road to recovery.

Congratulations on getting your Ironwood Lambsfoot. That’s a handsome Lambsfoot.

Jack Black Jack Black - Your Aurapole Compass is a thing of beauty. Residing in a cool pocket watch case. A fine accompaniment to your out of this world Waynorth Lambsfoot.

@Foddering Congratulations on the Trevor Ablett acquisition.

gunstockjack gunstockjack There’s a couple items in the image that certainly has my attention.

zoXbxYe.jpg

Qi6qaib.jpg

... I can't tell you how thrilled I am, particularly after all this time :) :thumbsup:
Congrats on the new arrivals after all this time, Jack! Good looking pair of American lambs! :thumbsup:

Beautiful pic, Harvey!

Sorry about the mishap, Chris, but these accidents occasionally happen.
But now I don't even notice them! :rolleyes:

Union Jack in his earliest days with me:
View attachment 1159551

- GT
Ain't that the truth! I was just recently going over in my mind all my knives that I haven't dropped... it was the shorter list! :D But mine are all users, so who cares... after the first ding!

Greetings Good Guardians,

Three tips here that are pretty new to me.

9i7PI7Ul.jpg
Those are all good tips! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Stunning pic right there! :cool:

At last....
tip1wBs.jpg
Congrats on finally getting it in hand. Looks like a wait well worthwhile! :thumbsup:

Oh my, I love that Ironwood on your knife! Congrats on that one!

Congrats on the new arrivals after all this time, Jack! Good looking pair of American lambs! :thumbsup:

Beautiful pic, Harvey!

Ain't that the truth! I was just recently going over in my mind all my knives that I haven't dropped... it was the shorter list! :D But mine are all users, so who cares... after the first ding!

Those are all good tips! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Stunning pic right there! :cool:

Congrats on finally getting it in hand. Looks like a wait well worthwhile! :thumbsup:

Oh my, I love that Ironwood on your knife! Congrats on that one!
Thank you kindly.

Day is Done.
B20DF707-39C1-4BAE-A198-B248520EB27A.jpeg

cudgee cudgee , when replying to someone, you need to make sure you type outside the quoted post, otherwise your reply just gets jumbled into the previous post, isn't displayed, and can't be easily read or replied to :thumbsup:

Fantastic, pic!

Smashing pair, Jack! Am I correct to say that Charlie's Lambsfoot are the first to be US made?

48253008516_86c4e4c8b3_h.jpg

Thank you Kevin :) We believe it is indeed the first US-made Lambsfoot, though @herder has previously brought our attention to this knife from 1905 :thumbsup:

QR7HvyG.jpg

Cool pic of your '19 my friend :thumbsup:

Congrats Jack on getting your Waynorth Lambsfoot knives, a mighty fine pair from the opposite side of the pond.

Russell

Thanks a lot Russell :thumbsup:

Great content and great knives make for great photos Jack! :thumbsup: :)

Thank you Ron :) :thumbsup:

Holy cow, I have a LOT of catching up to do! I think this has been my longest absence from BladeForums since I joined, by far. I still haven't been able to kick this post-operative infection. Not fun! I haven't been this sick since I had mono twenty years ago.

I've been feeling a little bit better today, so I was able to go on a short walk and get a little fresh air... Or course, I had to snap a couple pics while I was at it. :)

So while I catch up on the thread, I'll leave you with these pics of the 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot in Ironwood! Thank you so much Jack Black Jack Black for this wonderful knife! It's absolutely beautiful. It will be cherished and well used!

mhQoyLL.jpg

9P2emgX.jpg

YWM8LwT.jpg

yeQSm85.jpg

PMwEzi8.jpg

Very sorry to hear that you have been so ill my friend, and very pleased to hear things are finally beginning to get better. Thank you for the great pics of your '19 :thumbsup:

Oh, btw, I scored a Trevor Ablett ettrick today!!! :D :cool: :D

Congratulations Dwight, but this is the LAMBSFOOT thread :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good evening Guardians!

6rMg0k7.jpg

Ubercool Barry (I think that's the highest level of cool ;) ) :cool: Well done :) :thumbsup:

And after a hard day...

j24NykU.jpg

You earned it my friend, cheers :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words and comments folks, I’ll have to make a proper post and acknowledgments later, as I’m on the train out from Melbourne at the moment.

I stayed at a mates place in the city last night, after having a great catch up dinner with some friends I used to work with.

David @donn , I thought you’d like to know I used my Hartshead knyf to kytte up my Ploughman’s brekky, before heading out into the cold and rain this morning:

View attachment 1159782

Yep, those are some real English Pork Pies!

They must have been made with faire buttyes of porke, hewed and ground welle, because I was well impressed - they were very tasty.

Christian @kamagong , that’s an interesting observation on the clean and square joints. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in Levine’s translation of part of Jean-Jacques Perret’s great work, Le Art du Coutelier), that clean and square joints, in addition to being more expensive, are not as strong as joints where the bolsters fully enclose and overlap the blade tang.

So I wondered if they had been used on many Lambsfoots before, being an inexpensive working knife pattern and all.

I checked back over some of my old archive pics, and did indeed find a prior example, on a particularly fine Lambsfoot knife by Harrison Brothers and Howson. Here’s the old post:

(If you click on the arrow at the top of any quoted text, it will take you back to the original post and discussion. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.)

Fantastic knife, Bill, I’m glad to see you were looked after, my friend.

Cheers Dave, yep, we use the same word, although it’s pronounced more like ‘Bewdy’!

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts on the pattern and your superb photography over in this thread, my friend.

View attachment 1159809

Melbourne reputedly has the highest number of Greek speakers of any city in the world outside Greece.

The part of the city I stayed in is apparently a sister city to Sparta.

I found this interesting statue while walking around:

View attachment 1159784
View attachment 1159783

Wow that looks great, Barry! Outstanding work!

A fascinating post, as always, Chin :) Not sure how you managed that on your phone! :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Your Aurapole Compass is a thing of beauty. Residing in a cool pocket watch case. A fine accompaniment to your out of this world Waynorth Lambsfoot.

Thank you Harvey, the case is integral to the compass :) I have an older one I'll post a photo of later :thumbsup:

http://www.compassmuseum.com/

Thank you :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

Received my pair of Charlie’s Lambsfoots. Very impressed with these two! Charlie and GEC did us proud to bring these to us avid collectors. Glad to be able to include these in my Lambsfoot collection.

View attachment 1159855

Many congratulations Russell :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone has had a good week :) I thought I'd carry these two today, a new friend from waynorth waynorth , and an old friend from Wright's :) :thumbsup:

0pGXkMN.jpg

Back