Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Today I received my 1st Lambsfoot (I think) from a forum member. It’s a A Wright & Son and I’m quite happy with it. I look forward to using and carrying it. I have been following this thread and it has peaked my interest in this knife style. I can see why so many are also fans.
upload_2019-7-12_18-21-19.jpeg

I know that there are plenty of multi-blade lambsfoot knives out there. Was just wondering why they seem to be less popular? I happen to love two-blade knives due to the versatility aspects. After using my Hartshead knife I am finding that this little blade is extremely versatile. Maybe I've answered my own question.

Today I received my 1st Lambsfoot (I think) from a forum member. It’s a A Wright & Son and I’m quite happy with it. I look forward to using and carrying it. I have been following this thread and it has peaked my interest in this knife style. I can see why so many are also fans.
View attachment 1160298
Looks great! A left-handed knife!

View attachment 1160298
You have a very nice knife there. Much luck with it. I happen to be a leftie.

I know that there are plenty of multi-blade lambsfoot knives out there. Was just wondering why they seem to be less popular? I happen to love two-blade knives due to the versatility aspects. After using my Hartshead knife I am finding that this little blade is extremely versatile. Maybe I've answered my own question.
I don't have a two blade Lambsfoot, but from what we have been told by Jack and others, the pen blade is an absolute BEAR to get out.

The Lambsfoot blade is one of those styles that requires no secondary, in my opinion. I like a small pen blade with a broad clip or large sheepfoot but with a Lambsfoot, it is unnecessary. The tapered point provides all the control and ability for fine work that one should need. At least that has been my experience.

Take slicing and coring an apple for example. With one of my knives with a big clip main and small coping secondary, I will slice the apple with the main blade and then use the smaller secondary to core it. I can do that all with ease with the singular Lambsfoot blade.

The Lambsfoot blade is one of those styles that requires no secondary, in my opinion. I like a small pen blade with a broad clip or large sheepfoot but with a Lambsfoot, it is unnecessary. The tapered point provides all the control and ability for fine work that one should need. At least that has been my experience.

Take slicing and coring an apple for example. With one of my knives with a big clip main and small coping secondary, I will slice the apple with the main blade and then use the smaller secondary to core it. I can do that all with ease with the singular Lambsfoot blade.
You're right, Dylan. I like two-bladed knives, like trappers, jacks, and canoes, but I wouldn't want a secondary blade with a lambsfoot.

I don't have a two blade Lambsfoot, but from what we have been told by Jack and others, the pen blade is an absolute BEAR to get out.
I like having a combination of straight and curved edges, so a Lambsfoot knife with a pen would be nice. But as John said, I doubt I'd be able to open the ones made by Wrights. So unless I get the opportunity to handle them in a shop, I'll have to pass.

Speaking of being a bear to open: Even though the springs are very strong and snappy on all my lambsfoot knives, I haven't had any problems opening them. I have very weak nails, but strong enough fingers, so I can pinch them open. Even if I do use the nail nick, it's placement a far distance from the pivot makes it easy enough. Or maybe I'm just getting used to a stronger pull. The other day I was showing off my Ironwood Lambsfoot, and my friend had trouble opening it. I've never been able to open a knife that he had trouble with. It's always the other way around. :D

I completely agree. The only secondary I’d consider on a traditional Lambsfoot pattern is a cap lifter. ;) Just kidding, I wouldn’t want to mess with the centering of the main.

What I would love to see, though, is a Whittler pattern or Whittler’s/Carpenter’s pattern with small clip and small lambsfoot secondaries. That would be an awesome whittling knife.

I completely agree. The only secondary I’d consider on a traditional Lambsfoot pattern is a cap lifter. ;) Just kidding, I wouldn’t want to mess with the centering of the main.

What I would love to see, though, is a Whittler pattern or Whittler’s/Carpenter’s pattern with small clip and small lambsfoot secondaries. That would be an awesome whittling knife.

How about a full sized lambsfoot main, and a small lambsfoot secondary. Not traditional, I know, but wouldn't that be cool? :D

Maybe some rosewood on Saturday:
cFkPEjh.jpg

Here's a knife with a history. I rec'd this from Jack shortly after it's release. I believe I ordered two and one went to Duncan? Relying on my memory is a flawed system:eek:
Anyway, trying to condense, this wonderful Lamb was mine for all of two days, then inadvertently left in my brother's car who lives in WI. So it resided two state east of me. Traveled back with brother several months later, attended a family function and it returned to WI once again!!! :(:mad:
Brother's car is stolen in Marchish? and figured gone for good. Brother actually told me he liked it and asked if he could keep it, I agreed as I have many knives and hoped he'd like a quality knife. This was a ruse to cover up being in his Caddy at the time of the theft:eek:
Figured Caddy was gone for good until a few weeks ago as it turned up in remarkably good shape with the Lamb safely stashed in the car (brother didn't say where in the car)
So, long last it's home (to stay) in like new condition:thumbsup::cool:
I am elated as I love this knife. It's like receiving a new knife in the mail:)
My ebony Gaurdian Lambfoot:thumbsup: I've named a knife before, not many but some, so thought either "Caddy" or "Lucky" seemed appropriate;)
6dslri.jpg

PnYaD3.jpg

Here's a knife with a history. I rec'd this from Jack shortly after it's release. I believe I ordered two and one went to Duncan? Relying on my memory is a flawed system:eek:
Anyway, trying to condense, this wonderful Lamb was mine for all of two days, then inadvertently left in my brother's car who lives in WI. So it resided two state east of me. Traveled back with brother several months later, attended a family function and it returned to WI once again!!! :(:mad:
Brother's car is stolen in Marchish? and figured gone for good. Brother actually told me he liked it and asked if he could keep it, I agreed as I have many knives and hoped he'd like a quality knife. This was a ruse to cover up being in his Caddy at the time of the theft:eek:
Figured Caddy was gone for good until a few weeks ago as it turned up in remarkably good shape with the Lamb safely stashed in the car (brother didn't say where in the car)
So, long last it's home (to stay) in like new condition:thumbsup::cool:
I am elated as I love this knife. It's like receiving a new knife in the mail:)
My ebony Gaurdian Lambfoot:thumbsup: I've named a knife before, not many but some, so thought either "Caddy" or "Lucky" seemed appropriate;)
6dslri.jpg

PnYaD3.jpg
That is quite a story. But at least now you have a pristine example of a perfect Lambsfoot. I think the ebony with the rat tail is hands down my favorite of all of the one's I've seen. I'm hoping we will get a run of them again one day (fingers crossed).

John, my brother bought a used Jaguar with the thought he'd never see his Caddy again. St Paul police contacted him and the officer said it was in pretty good shape for being stolen. He lives just past Hudson WI and was stolen from the Home Depot parking lot while he was at work. Caddy is like a 2005 so just had liability insurance on it.
Not sure it mattered much as he literally left the keys in the ignition:oops::rolleyes:
And it was actually a few days before the 22nd of February vs March because that's the weekend we moved our mom from St Paul to WI in the same apt as my brother.
Duncan has heard me tell stories of my brother before who I love very much but he has NO luck ever!!! They did steal the moving blankets and furniture dolly from the trunk of the Caddy but my wife and I own a furniture store so we had my truck, blankets and moving carts:thumbsup:
With his luck, we were all surprised they found his car. He actually had to pay a $40 parking ticket (seems unfair) to get his car back.

Back