Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Something interesting has happened.

There was a time not too long ago when I'd choose the knife I'd carry from a set of three or four favorites. That gave way to usually opting for my buffalo horn A. Wright lambsfoot, but still mixing it up every once and while and carrying another pattern.

What's happened over the past few months, though, is that now I usually reach for my buffalo horn, but sometimes instead carry my rosewood A. Wright or my Hartshead Barlow. Those alternatives, of course, are all lambsfoot knives... I've reached the point where it feels kinda weird to not be carrying a lambsfoot. A couple of times now I've reached for an old favorite, picked it up, had it about to go in my pocket, but then thought "but, the lambsfoot'll work better if I have things to do."

I guess I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a one pattern guy for EDC use. Or, perhaps this is how one goes from carrying one pocketknife at a time to carrying multiple. I'll try to resist that for as long as I can, though. ;)

Last edited:

There was a time not too long ago when I'd choose the knife I'd carry from a set of three or four favorites. That gave way to usually opting for my buffalo horn A. Wright lambsfoot, but still mixing it up every once and while and carrying another pattern.

What's happened over the past few months, though, is that now I usually reach for my buffalo horn, but sometimes instead carry my rosewood A. Wright or my Hartshead Barlow. Those alternatives, of course, are all lambsfoot knives... I've reached the point where it feels kinda weird to not be carrying a lambsfoot. A couple of times now I've reached for an old favorite, picked it up, had it about to go in my pocket, but then thought "but, the lambsfoot'll work better if I have things to do."

I guess I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a one pattern guy for EDC use. Or, perhaps this is how one goes from carrying one pocketknife at a time to carrying multiple ones. I'll try to resist that for as long as I can, though. ;)
Very interesting observation. " the lambsfoot'll work better if i have things to do". As i have mentioned previously, when i was a kid over 50 years ago, all the farmers carried these knives for that one reason, they were a work knife that covered all jobs. It may be the fact " what was old is new again". Have a good day, and keep up the tradition.

ejMRxWA.jpg

Good morning party people!
s0562.gif

Another couple shots of Elwood of Waynorth from yesterday.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the jigging on these is some of the best jigging I have seen in a loooong time.
48572369546_acbe4d5348_h.jpg

48570660876_ff3bc91787_k.jpg
There's one thing I don't understand, so I am just going to ask. I do not mean to be cheeky, it's just genuine interest and will to learn.

How come, you (and others, judging by the reactions) find this jigging:
48570660876-ff3bc91787-k.jpg

To be somehow better than this one:
dec5c59e2bd2aca27112635e0bb17c85-2.jpg

I have yet to own a jigged bone knife, but to my (untrained) eye, the latter, regular/symmetric jigging is far more appealing than the former random jigg.

Is there anything real connoisseurs look for in jigging?

There's one thing I don't understand, so I am just going to ask. I do not mean to be cheeky, it's just genuine interest and will to learn.

48570660876-ff3bc91787-k.jpg

To be somehow better than this one:
dec5c59e2bd2aca27112635e0bb17c85-2.jpg

I have yet to own a jigged bone knife, but to my (untrained) eye, the latter, regular/symmetric jigging is far more appealing than the former random jigg.

Is there anything real connoisseurs look for in jigging?
It is in my opinion, just a preference thing. Me, personally if i like a knife, i just like it. I have several " jigged bone" scale knives, but one thing, and this is only me, about the Random jigging is it goes back in history to the old knives which had antler and deer bone scales, which all were individual and different. The older i got and more interested in knives i got, one of the things that i really love about knives is the history of them. I have the same interest in a lot of things old, tools, firearms, wood, furniture, leather etc. etc., I just love old history, and random jigged bone scales remind me of the old days. Just my opinion and ramblings. You have a good week.:thumbsup:

I prefer wood handles, then comes Micarta, then finally bone, and lastly stag.
I like a jigged bone better than smooth bone. I think bone is a canvas for an artist.
I prefer heavier/deeper jigging more than fine/shallow jigging, symmetrical or not.

Sibling rivalry...
These two keep fighting for my attention
The Waynorth is so attractive, has excellent fit-n-finish, has wonderful walk-n-talk, and is a nice slim carry.
The Rosewood is so rugged looking, has the smoothest action of all, a very stout blade, and begs to be used hard.

I guess I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a one pattern guy for EDC use. Or, perhaps this is how one goes from carrying one pocketknife at a time to carrying multiple. I'll try to resist that for as long as I can, though. ;)

I'm happy you posted, as this is exactly what has happened to me. :) It sure makes what to carry today? a breeze. The truth be told this past weekend I placed all my other slip joints in their roll-ups and now they only come out for photos :p
The lambsfoot is my be-all and do all knife, I no longer spend hours cruising the sites looking for that grail knife, because, for me, I found it. :D
Now all I do is keep a sharp eye out for another Jack Black Jack Black or Charlie @waynorth SFO :thumbsup:;)

IMG_1264.JPGIMG_0980.JPG

I'm happy you posted, as this is exactly what has happened to me. :) It sure makes what to carry today? a breeze. The truth be told this past weekend I placed all my other slip joints in their roll-ups and now they only come out for photos :p
The lambsfoot is my be-all and do all knife, I no longer spend hours cruising the sites looking for that grail knife, because, for me, I found it. :D
Now all I do is keep a sharp eye out for another Jack Black Jack Black or Charlie @waynorth SFO :thumbsup:;)
View attachment 1181823
View attachment 1181824
I'm gettin ya!!!:p:cool::D:thumbsup:

You mean there are people who only carry one pocket knife at a time? o_O
Just joking, we all have our preferences and habits. I like to pair a small knife with a larger one. These days, the larger one is often a lambsfoot. :thumbsup:

You mean there are people who only carry one pocket knife at a time? o_O
Just joking, we all have our preferences and habits. I like to pair a small knife with a larger one. These days, the larger one is often a lambsfoot. :thumbsup:
I must confess I do carry a very small knife in my watch pocket in case I'm in a public place that's not conducive to knives. :eek::rolleyes::D

I prefer wood handles, then comes Micarta, then finally bone, and lastly stag.
I like a jigged bone better than smooth bone. I think bone is a canvas for an artist.
I prefer heavier/deeper jigging more than fine/shallow jigging, symmetrical or not.
LJvxodg.jpg

There is "something" about wood. I do not know what it is, but it just has a feel about it. It has nearly a old romantic feel to it, it just feels great in the hand, and you know it was a living thing, and you are keeping the living tradition going by using and carrying it. This is a Rodgers Barlow Lamb Foot, one of my favorite knives. It just so compact, sharp and usable, and is just great to carry. Great minds think alike.:thumbsup:

ZbGkN7T.jpg

Happy Monday Guardians! It felt very good slipping a knife in the pocket today. I was out of sorts all weekend without one. Three day music festival, and they frowned on bringing in sharp implements... But at least we had mostly nice weather, great music, and brisket poutine to console my knifeless self ;)

i8BOekY.jpg

Back