Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good question. I'm inclined to say "yes, it's still a lambsfoot" provided that the rounding is from normal wear and tear as opposed to intentional modding.

I'm with Greg Christian, I think that, unless it's intentionally modified into another blade shape, a Lambsfoot is always a Lambsfoot, albeit a worn Lambsfoot :thumbsup: I do have an old knife from Abram Brooksbank, which started off like the top pic below, but must have been broken at some point, and was altered subsequently, so that it certainly can no longer be considered a Lambsfoot. I hope folks don't mind me showing it for information purposes :thumbsup:

If that is the case, what is the point? Pun intended...:p

The advantages of a lambsfoot are its straight edge and controllable, predictable tip position. If either damage or sloppy sharpening removes those details, then the raison d'etre for the pattern is lost, and we can no longer honestly speak of the lambsfoot's superiority, at least for that particular specimen.

I know this is an old post but I started from page 1 and just found this. Just had to say.. These are amazing examples!
Thanks for the compliment! :)

At the other end of the spectrum, in my opinion, is the jigged bone A.Wright & Son currently use (they buy in the bone pre-jigged). This really does very little for me I'm afraid, and I hope that one day they can produce knives with more characterful jigging :thumbsup:

a-wright-pocket-knife-lamb-foot-blue-bone-a-wright-knives-sheffield-31jb1-2763-p.jpg
Jack, it’s nice to know we’re in total agreement on Wright’s current Jigged Bone offerings. :thumbsup: Today I’m carrying my Ebony ‘18 as one half of my piano keys combo for today! Hope you Guardians have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

48583638172_98f4f997ec_b_d.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing the Guardians' opinion on that too.
John and Jack Jack Black Jack Black I personally find the small size Lambsfoot from Wright’s to be an ideal watch pocket knife. :thumbsup: For me I would probably never carry the small one in my pocket, unless it might be when wearing dress slacks. :rolleyes: I actually prefer a larger knife in the 3-3/4” to 4-1/4” size range for pocket carry. That’s why I like the Biguns so much. ;)

You do indeed John :) :thumbsup: Don't folks find the small size Wright's do, coin-pocket friendly?

Yes, the small will work in my coin pocket. However, it doesn't disappear from conscious thought like the Case Sway Back Gent does, for me. And, with the small lambfoot being about 1/8" thicker, it's more noticible when retrieving something from my right pocket. With that being said, I have been mostly carrying it front pocket deep in a slip. In use, I like it better than the Gent.

The advantages of a lambsfoot are its straight edge and controllable, predictable tip position. If either damage or sloppy sharpening removes those details, then the raison d'etre for the pattern is lost, and we can no longer honestly speak of the lambsfoot's superiority, at least for that particular specimen.

That is all perfectly true Christian, if a Lambsfoot loses its point or straight edge it will lose the superior place it has in the pantheon of blade styles (though it may still be more useful than some) ;) However, if the tip of a Clip blade gets rounded it will not work so well, yet it is still a Clip blade. What else would we call a worn Lambsfoot blade, or one that has been damaged or badly sharpened. Unless it has been drastically altered, like the example I showed, I think we'd still refer to it as a worn Lambsfoot blade, rather than inventing some new name for it. This one here (a Howarth gifted to me by Paul Mason) has lost its tip, but it is still clearly a Lambsfoot, albeit one which has been injured :( :thumbsup:

mOHmO19.jpg

Jack, it’s nice to know we’re in total agreement on Wright’s current Jigged Bone offerings. :thumbsup: Today I’m carrying my Ebony ‘18 as one half of my piano keys combo for today! Hope you Guardians have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

48583638172_98f4f997ec_b_d.jpg

I think Michael Harrison would agree with us too Ron. John Maleham didn't think much to it either, but said they didn't sell many of the bone models. I'm inclined to think they might sell more if the bone had more character, but I'm not sure that jigging their own bone would be worth the financial return, even though I'd love to see it. I will continue to hope and raise the issue with them though. Nice to see your ebony '18 my friend :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I'm going to go ahead and throw this one in my coin pocket for work today

Such a cool little knife John :cool: :) :thumbsup:

John and Jack Jack Black Jack Black I personally find the small size Lambsfoot from Wright’s to be an ideal watch pocket knife. :thumbsup: For me I would probably never carry the small one in my pocket, unless it might be when wearing dress slacks. :rolleyes: I actually prefer a larger knife in the 3-3/4” to 4-1/4” size range for pocket carry. That’s why I like the Biguns so much. ;)

I have none known of your preference for a larger blade my friend :D :thumbsup:

Yes, the small will work in my coin pocket. However, it doesn't disappear from conscious thought like the Case Sway Back Gent does, for me. And, with the small lambfoot being about 1/8" thicker, it's more noticible when retrieving something from my right pocket. With that being said, I have been mostly carrying it front pocket deep in a slip. In use, I like it better than the Gent.

Yes, definitely a more substantial knife :thumbsup:

A fair point, and that’s why I think Jack’s caveat of “albeit a worn lambsfoot” is both important and useful to the discussion. There is utility in retaining an object’s heritage in its name, even if some of the traits associated with that name have passed.

A treaded tire that has worn through all of its tread would be a now-bald treaded tire to me, rather than a slick. The latter being a tire that as purposely made without tread. If I were in the market for slicks, I’d certainly care about the difference. :)

I do appreciate the question and discussion. It’s a bit of a brain bending topic to ponder over morning coffee. :thumbsup:

Great reading Greg, I hope you don't mind me quoting this again: ""but, the lambsfoot'll work better if I have things to do." :) :thumbsup:

I don’t mind at all. :)

Speaking of doing things.... Last night I started a batch of lacto-fermented jalapeños. I had kitchen knives handy, but my lambsfoot was in my pocket and I was thinking about all the chili (or chile or pepper) posts we have here, so I put it to work.

Here it is with about half of what ultimately went into the batch:

4K2NUZFh.jpg

And with the whole batch ready to go into the closet to ferment for a week or so:

a6JwUL0h.jpg

BTW, these peppers were from the farmers market. Mine will hopefully be ready soon, too.

Last edited:
I think Michael Harrison would agree with us too Ron. John Maleham didn't think much to it either, but said they didn't sell many of the bone models. I'm inclined to think they might sell more if the bone had more character, but I'm not sure that jigging their own bone would be worth the financial return, even though I'd love to see it. I will continue to hope and raise the issue with them though. Nice to see your ebony '18 my friend :thumbsup:

I have none known of your preference for a larger blade my friend :D :thumbsup:
I’m sure more appealing jigging would definitely further set Wright’s apart in their markets! No one from Sheffield seems to be currently offering much in the way of attractive Jigged Bone. I feel confident that if they had the ability to do it in-house it will undoubtedly add time and costs to their products. The Ebony ‘18s are special knives Jack! One of my favorites. :thumbsup: While at the Rendezvous I had the chance to look over two large Ebony models that Russell @Rusty1 had Wright’s make for him. While the Ebony was not Jet Black like a lot of us prefer they were still very attractive knives. I imagine if they had fluted or threaded bolsters they would be a very desirable addition to ones collection! ;) Just saying of course! :D

Speaking of doing things.... Last night I started a batch of lacto-fermented jalapeños. I had kitchen knives handy, but my lambsfoot was in my pocket and I was thinking about all the chili (or Chile or pepper) posts we have here, so I put it to work.

4K2NUZFh.jpg

And with the whole batch ready to go into the closet to ferment for a week or so:

a6JwUL0h.jpg

BTW, these peppers were from the farmers market. Mine will hopefully be ready soon, too.

Nice work Greg, that's an interesting idea, and it has certainly made for some great pics :) I was just thinking last night, I haven't had any Chilli Vodka in ages! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I’m sure more appealing jigging would definitely further set Wright’s apart in their markets! No one from Sheffield seems to be currently offering much in the way of attractive Jigged Bone. I feel confident that if they had the ability to do it in-house it will undoubtedly add time and costs to their products. The Ebony ‘18s are special knives Jack! One of my favorites. :thumbsup: While at the Rendezvous I had the chance to look over two large Ebony models that Russell @Rusty1 had Wright’s make for him. While the Ebony was not Jet Black like a lot of us prefer they were still very attractive knives. I imagine if they had fluted or threaded bolsters they would be a very desirable addition to ones collection! ;) Just saying of course! :D

I don't know Ron, I would love to commission some bone at some point, but I think most of Wright's market probably remains farmers and gardeners who just want a good inexpensive working knife. In the past there was a whole network of bone-jiggers, scale-makers, MOP cutters, etc in Sheffield, but not anymore unfortunately. Bone-jigging would have to be re-learned, and that might entail a considerable investment for a small firm, the cost of which they might very well fail to recoup. An nice ebony Big 'Un would certainly look great Ron, the Black Stuff takes some beating ;) :D :thumbsup:

RDvkk6M.jpg

I do the same thing, especially at work. I wish they made a small coin pocket Lambsfoot.
I'd go for that!
I can carry my small stag Lambsfoot in a coin pocket, but it's not 'peanut small'.

Speaking of doing things.... Last night I started a batch of lacto-fermented jalapeños. I had kitchen knives handy, but my lambsfoot was in my pocket and I was thinking about all the chili (or chile or pepper) posts we have here, so I put it to work.

4K2NUZFh.jpg

a6JwUL0h.jpg

I've never heard of lacto-fermented peppers. Is it for preserves or a very spicy hard cider?
I don't know Ron, I would love to commission some bone at some point, but I think most of Wright's market probably remains farmers and gardeners who just want a good inexpensive working knife. In the past there was a whole network of bone-jiggers, scale-makers, MOP cutters, etc in Sheffield, but not anymore unfortunately. Bone-jigging would have to be re-learned, and that might entail a considerable investment for a small firm, the cost of which they might very well fail to recoup. An nice ebony Big 'Un would certainly look great Ron, the Black Stuff takes some beating ;) :D :thumbsup:
They wouldn't have to re-learn bone jigging or dyeing if it were smooth white bone.*

*Sorry, but I have to stay on message. ;)

I'd go for that!
I can carry my small stag Lambsfoot in a coin pocket, but it's not 'peanut small'.

If we can get a thousand orders together, it might be cost-effective to get new patterns made :D

They wouldn't have to re-learn bone jigging or dyeing if it were smooth white bone.*

*Sorry, but I have to stay on message. ;)

Maybe we need piano keys! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Back