Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hi OD
It’s a very small town in New Brunswick Canada. Population very small, about 800 +.

We are vacationing in Prince Edward Island. Yesterday, as we drove through New Brunswick we saw the sign.
I stopped in the rain to take a pic.:D

My wife and kids were amused at my antics lol :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Parish,_New_Brunswick
From what I found it is a sign for the River Valley Scenic Drive in NewBrunswick/Canada. Please take that info with a grain of salt. I could be completely wrong! Lol.
Thanks guys - sounds good to me, JB :)
Good morning party people!
s0562.gif

Another couple shots of Elwood of Waynorth from yesterday.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the jigging on these is some of the best jigging I have seen in a loooong time.
48572369546_acbe4d5348_h.jpg

48570660876_ff3bc91787_k.jpg
Beautiful pics - especially enjoyed the close-up :cool:

PRDkkTx.jpg

Ansel Adams ~ Frozen Lake and Cliffs, The Sierra Nevada, Sequoia Nat'l Park, CA 1932
OG

It's a traditional method of preservation, akin to making kimchi. The product of the fermentation is lactic acid rather than alcohol.

The peppers were packed into a mason jar along with several cloves of garlic, a couple of bay leaves, and a handful of black peppercorns. It's hard to see in the picture, but the remaining space was then filled with a brine made of filtered water and sea salt. As the fermentation proceeds, it'll start to get cloudy and will develop a sour smell like you'd expect of pickled vegetables. After a week or so of fermentation, once the peppers have the taste and level of crunch I'm looking for, I'll move them to the fridge to slow the process. They'd last there for a good long while, except that I really like pickled peppers and will probably run though the supply rather quickly.

One thing I haven't tested, though, is to what extent the finished brine tends to induce a patina on carbon steel. I know you're a fan of slicing pickled jalapenos to help a patina get going. I wonder if these will have a similar effect...
Thank you Greg, That’s quite a pack of pickled peppers that you packed. I’ll bet it will be fantastic.

@waynorth - Thank you Charlie. Your 93 and others are the equal of the oldies.

I get your point (see what I did there?) but it wouldn't take much effort to repoint (did it again) it. The point (again) might be proud of the frame but pointy (again) none the less.

I like that in the past, frames were designed to accommodate the rising point of a blade ;) :thumbsup:

ADxTmNI.jpg

Of course, in this case, someone lost the point! :eek:

Excellent point. The straight edge patterns all share that weakness, whether it's a coping blade, lambsfoot, sheepsfoot, or wharncliffe. What is it Charlie says? "All knives eventually become spearpoints..."

I'm not always as fastidious as I should be. I introduced a recurve into my clip point Charlow during its initial sharpening. Instead of walking away during the frustrating reprofiling effort I kept at it and ended up botching the job. :rolleyes: Won't be making that mistake again.

Capital!

Most people don't make the effort. Whether it's laziness or a wish to conserve steel, when a lambsfoot's point gets bungled most just live with it. Perhaps I would too if a lambsfoot was my only knife. Since it isn't, I'd want to maintain a lambsfoot blade's advantages and keep it true to form.

From what I've seen, all old Lambsfoot blades eventually become punches! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

e47lSmA.jpg

(Taylor's Eye Witness Lambsfoot now in @r8shell's Home For Worn-Out Old Blades ;) :thumbsup:)

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you kindly for the nice words. every one of your images in your current posts are delightful.

The Guardian pages have taught me that Sheffield Cutlery, with exceptions like your SFOs, etc, isn’t what it used to be. Many of the Cutlery skill sets, like Jigging has faded, with fewer knowing how to do it. Like other Vintage patterns, finding these gems is what drives me to hunt for them. I rarely carry or use the older Lambsfoot knives. Losing the profile means that somebody from wayback actually used it. The jigging is unlike anything seen today. I’m in the camp that finds the old Sheffield jigging patterns sublime. I love the older Sheffield Lambsfoot knives(with or without jigging). That goes equally for all the older Sheffield patterns. Finding them is an archeological adventure.

Good Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1182174

That's very kind of you Harvey :) You have managed to find some beautiful old knives my friend :) With exceptions, Sheffield cutlery hasn't been what it used to be for a very long time I'm afraid. The exceptions make it worth pursuing I think ;) :thumbsup:

This Lambfoot knife currently referred to as a Pruner by A. Wright is the smallest Lambfoot currently made by A. Wright. It is pictured with a British Crown which is about the size of a U. S. Silver Dollar. It makes a very good watch pocket knife. I just tried it in a pair of my Levi lined hunting jeans.

aIbQ7cd.jpg

Just to Compare. Small (Pruner); Standard; Big Un

bmhL1Ht.jpg

Not much difference between the Small and Standard (about 3/16") but enough to make the Small a better fit in a watch pocket.

Wright's don't refer to it as a Pruner Ed (see my earlier and more detailed post). Nice line-up there :) :thumbsup:

I forgot to say "Good Morning Guardians" so here's another picture just to say Good Morning Guardians.

6FS7PFz.jpg

Morning Ed! :D :thumbsup:

That blade is showing some GREAT character Taylor :) :thumbsup:

The jigging on the A. Wright's knives is simply bad. I would dare to go as far as saying that those bone covered knives would be more appealing without any jigging at all.

I agree, the scales are clearly bought in :thumbsup:

My first post in this thread, does this count...........

xX0TOzD.jpg

Looks good to me. Interesting too, being made for a sinistral and all...

+1 :thumbsup: Nice-looking knife, do you know anymore about it? Welcome to The Guardians :) :thumbsup:

PRDkkTx.jpg

Ansel Adams ~ Frozen Lake and Cliffs, The Sierra Nevada, Sequoia Nat'l Park, CA 1932
OG

Very handsome OG :) :thumbsup:

Wright's don't refer to it as a Pruner Ed (see my earlier and more detailed post). Nice line-up there :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - I did see your earlier and more detailed post Jack but here they do call it a "Pruner".

https://www.penknives-and-scissors.co.uk/acatalog/Pen_and_pocket_knives.html#a31

I only used the term Pruner to distinguish it from the Standard. Not trying to argue with you at all- just trying to illustrate where I got the term "Pruner".

EDITED TO ADD: Actually Jack, they say with Pruner Handle and don't call the knife itself a Pruner. So, I may be all wet. Therefore, "Belay My Last". From now on I'll refer to it as a Small Lambfoot.

I gotta make a sandwich and chew on this.

Last edited:

You really captured the beauty of that Lambsfoot!
I'm lovin' the color in the handle.

There's one thing I don't understand, so I am just going to ask. I do not mean to be cheeky, it's just genuine interest and will to learn.

How come, you (and others, judging by the reactions) find this jigging:
48570660876-ff3bc91787-k.jpg

To be somehow better than this one:
dec5c59e2bd2aca27112635e0bb17c85-2.jpg

I have yet to own a jigged bone knife, but to my (untrained) eye, the latter, regular/symmetric jigging is far more appealing than the former random jigg.

Is there anything real connoisseurs look for in jigging?

It is entirely personal preference. Many of us just prefer random, asymmetrical jigging. It's why they do both.

It is in my opinion, just a preference thing. Me, personally if i like a knife, i just like it. I have several " jigged bone" scale knives, but one thing, and this is only me, about the Random jigging is it goes back in history to the old knives which had antler and deer bone scales, which all were individual and different. The older i got and more interested in knives i got, one of the things that i really love about knives is the history of them. I have the same interest in a lot of things old, tools, firearms, wood, furniture, leather etc. etc., I just love old history, and random jigged bone scales remind me of the old days. Just my opinion and ramblings. You have a good week.:thumbsup:

I prefer wood handles, then comes Micarta, then finally bone, and lastly stag.
I like a jigged bone better than smooth bone. I think bone is a canvas for an artist.
I prefer heavier/deeper jigging more than fine/shallow jigging, symmetrical or not.

As the others said, I think it comes down to personal preference. I love me some Peach Seed Jigging too but as a general rule I like the random of hand jigged bone the best.... it just has more character to it , more soul.

ZbGkN7T.jpg

Happy Monday Guardians! It felt very good slipping a knife in the pocket today. I was out of sorts all weekend without one. Three day music festival, and they frowned on bringing in sharp implements... But at least we had mostly nice weather, great music, and brisket poutine to console my knifeless self ;)

i8BOekY.jpg
Looks like you had a great time!
I'm pretty sure that if I ever defect from the US, poutine will be the reason. ;):D

The jigging is superb Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, taken me 2 1/2 hours to catch up, I better get on with some work! :eek: Carrying the pocket-hog again today :rolleyes: Have a good one folks :thumbsup:

wrwx5xt.jpg
Thanks, pal.
That's a might fine shot of a mighty fine knife right tharrr , I hav'ta say.

View attachment 1182085

Good Morning Guardians! I’m feeling a bit under the weather today but this lambsfoot still puts a smile of my face. :D
Hope you feel better soon , Jon.
That Lamb of yours looks like it makes for good company.

I get your point (see what I did there?) but it wouldn't take much effort to repoint (did it again) it. The point (again) might be proud of the frame but pointy (again) none the less.

I forgot to say "Good Morning Guardians" so here's another picture just to say Good Morning Guardians.

6FS7PFz.jpg
Annnd a good mornin' to you , ED.
That proud tip problem is yet another reason that I like the Stove Pipe Kick, it gives you a lot to work with.

Beautiful pics - especially enjoyed the close-up :cool:

PRDkkTx.jpg
Thanks, OG
That is a fine pic of your Waynorth and I always enjoy your Ansel Adams backgrounds.

I am hangin' with Jake today.
48586202341_351a4d55af_h.jpg

I invite you to come back with me almost a week in my catch-up efforts. :rolleyes: I can't respond to everything, so I've taken Vince's advice below to heart, and this post primarily features rosewood lambsfoot knives.
There's something about that rosewood....
:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Good morning Guardians.
48540883696_8d10461dd0_h.jpg
Sensational shot of your rosewood HHB, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That photo really highlights the grain in your rosewood, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Going to be a Fab Friday, Guardians!
tJIJjcj.jpg
Always a treat to see your rosewood from a different continent, Vince! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

My only opportunity to take a photo of the HHB was on this wooden bear that was carved using a chainsaw. So I'll call it "Bear and Barlow". :)
There was also a few of the local Antique Autos on display so I took a couple of quick shots. A special one was the front end of a British car that was made into a cozy little sofa, not sure of the make though.
View attachment 1179571
View attachment 1179572 View attachment 1179573 View attachment 1179574
Your rosewood HHB is attractive headwear for that carved bear, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Or are you starting a DIY totem pole there? :p (That red car with the fender skirts is cool, but doesn't have much ground clearance. :rolleyes:)

How about some horn? Anyone that has some horn covered lambfoot knives show the off.

tH0Ye6u.jpg

Just a fluke??? Notice the horn on the first knife. The coloring starts off yellowish at the butt end, flows into white, and then black. Kinda like the horn prop. I wonder if the animal that supplied the prop horn was related to the animal that supplied the horn for the knife?
Although not relevant to my self-imposed rosewood theme, your pic is really interesting, ED! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice pic Ed :) Here's a few horn pics :thumbsup:
Sp3Tbfl.jpg

There's the knife with the living luminosity that I always find so amazing!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

The students are amazing and I'm having a good start to the year. :cool::thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: What more can you ask for, John? :cool::cool:

Good Evening Guardians
Just hanging out on the porch ;)
Wow, your African rosewood seems to be growing on me, John! :eek:;):rolleyes:

View attachment 1180225 View attachment 1180226 Couldn’t pass up using the lambsfoot for some fresh blueberry pie.made the vent holes on the pie and cut the butter up for the crumble topping on the next 2 Jack Black Jack Black started this with his crumble recipient
Can't beat a rosewood blueberry pie, AL!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your hard-working rosewood HHB is looking prosperous, Taylor! :):thumbsup::cool: The blade etch is hardly obscured by that patina. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

My lambsfoot carry this week is Man Jack, the stag senator I won in an @R.c.s GAW. Here's a shot of it soon after its arrival:
senator.pile.open.goodies.jpg

- GT

Jack Black Jack Black - I did see your earlier and more detailed post Jack but here they do call it a "Pruner".

https://www.penknives-and-scissors.co.uk/acatalog/Pen_and_pocket_knives.html#a31

I only used the term Pruner to distinguish it from the Standard. Not trying to argue with you at all- just trying to illustrate where I got the term "Pruner".

EDITED TO ADD: Actually Jack, they say with Pruner Handle and don't call the knife itself a Pruner. So, I may be all wet. Therefore, "Belay My Last". From now on I'll refer to it as a Small Lambfoot.

I gotta make a sandwich and chew on this.

No worries Ed, it's a confusing situation :) Here's a link to one of my previous posts on the subject. To quote from that:

It's worth noting that Wright's website is not run by them, but by a Sheffield dealer, and a lot of the nomenclature used is not used by them at the factory. They don't use the term 'Pruner frame' for example...

And:

Just to make it clear, (as I've done many times), somewhat bizarrely, A. Wright & Son do not run their own website, they don't even have anything to do with it. This is mainly because the former owner had an intense dislike of computers, the internet, mobile phones, etc. The site was set up by a Sheffield dealer, and leaves a great deal to be desired, both in terms of the descriptions and photographs of the knives there. He's a nice bloke, but his knowledge of pocket knife patterns and nomenclature is not extensive. This gentleman is in fact now semi-retired, and has sold his Sheffield business, but before he retired, he began using the phrase 'Pruner Handle' on his own site. Wright's themselves only use the term 'Pruner' in relation to the pruning knives they produce. The only name they assign to the Lambsfoot knives they produce with a curved frame is 'Swayback' (even though the smaller size has more sway than the larger two). I did once ask them about the 'Pruner' handles being described on a Sheffield website, and they wondered what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Thanks, pal.
That's a might fine shot of a mighty fine knife right tharrr , I hav'ta say.

Hope you feel better soon , Jon.
That Lamb of yours looks like it makes for good company.

Annnd a good mornin' to you , ED.
That proud tip problem is yet another reason that I like the Stove Pipe Kick, it gives you a lot to work with.

Thanks, OG
That is a fine pic of your Waynorth and I always enjoy your Ansel Adams backgrounds.

I am hangin' with Jake today.
48586202341_351a4d55af_h.jpg

Thanks mate, that's a good-looking knife you have there :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. Your TEW is now a Lambsfoot shank.:D I just found 4 feathers on YT.

That one belongs to @r8shell now Harvey, and has done for some years :) :thumbsup:

I was going to quote a post of mine from 2005, but, well, the BF software changes stink! Again! o_O

Deleted because it upset a member. :rolleyes:

Thank you, could you please remove that image completely? This is the Lambsfoot thread, see my original post:

This thread is for LAMBSFOOT knives only, please don’t gratuitously post photos containing other patterns. In a few cases, it may be acceptable to post a photo of another knife for discussion purposes in relation to the Lambsfoot pattern, a fake for example, or one with a very similar blade shape, but please do not post Sheepsfoot pics here, for example, simply because you don’t know the difference between that pattern and a Lambsfoot (just read on and learn the difference).

Deleted because it upset a member. :rolleyes:
All of us who enjoy this place try our best to abide by the established guidelines and feel it is not too much to ask.
If you decide to hang around here I think you will find that rude and childish attempts at sarcasm are not appreciated.
If you decide to not frequent this place that many of us find to be educational and friendly, well don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya on your way out.
OG

All of us who enjoy this place try our best to abide by the established guidelines and feel it is not too much to ask.
If you decide to hang around here I think you will find that rude and childish attempts at sarcasm are not appreciated.
If you decide to not frequent this place that many of us find to be educational and friendly, well don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya on your way out.
OG

Thank you for letting me know. My attempt at a little humor did not seem to go over well. Friendly? Not so much, but I can take a hint.

Back